BEST Helmet !!!! ------- THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP!! GREAT FORUM!!!- Mtbr.com

Jun 2008

BEST Helmet !!!! ------- THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP!! GREAT FORUM!!!

Whats up fellas,

Well i took that good fall and broke my nose, more specifically ripped my septum pretty nicely. So i guess its about time to get one of those Full face helmets. I was hoping I could come in here and ask some more experienced riders on some options of helmets they would recomend on price, quality, ventilation and even style.

I have viewed a couple i like, such as: the Specialized Deviant, the 661 Pro Bravo Carbon (07 model - only $140), and the Giro Remedy, but I do not know if these would be recommended or not. I would hate to buy one without an unbiased opinion.

My budget is about $150 being it's a college budget

Any help and suggestions would be appriciated
    It also helps to know I live in Tx and it gets VERY hot so ventilation is a must!

thanks,
    Joel

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    For that price I'd look at getting a Giro Remedy. Stay away from the Deviant. It's a glorified XC helmet. I've have a couple of friend crash in them and they don't offer the protection that a proper DH FF helmet would.

Jun 2008
    Well all of these are in the price range and I am no means limiting myself to these three. are you saying the Remedy is best, in your opinion, of these or of all you know of?

I am definitely interested into suggestions of other products if you feel that these are not the best for under $150 price range
    thanks

Jul 2004
    I have been reading that DOT rated helmets can lead to more "lower speed" brain injuries like 20- 40 mph due to there being stiffer and generaly rated for high impact crashes. They do not have the correct "crumple zones" to help in the 20-40mph crashes. It makes sence to me, but also leads to a problem I see b/c most XC helmets would just explode if you were to smack a tree at 30mph like mine did about 10 weeks ago...

moaaar shimz
    Bah, the DOT stuff is just bullsh1t, get a Giro Remedy and be happy. Best bang for the buck and good ventilation.

Jun 2008
    Yah, I'm not wanting DOT.
    Last edited by iamjoel5; 06-25-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjoel5
    are you saying the Remedy is best, in your opinion, of these or of all you know of?
    Well let me put it this way. Last time I went riding all 5 of us were rocking the Remedy. It has the best features for the price. Is it the best? No, a Troy Lee would probably be at the top of the list but they cost ~$300-400. Are there others in the Remedy's price range that are just as good? Sure. Bell makes good helmets, so does 661. A lot comes down to what fits you the best. Try to hit some LBS's and try on a few different helmets to see what fits your head the best.

AFWIW - Both of the guys that crashed in Deviants both ended up getting Remedys.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Well let me put it this way. Last time I went riding all 5 of us were rocking the Remedy. It has the best features for the price. Is it the best? No, a Troy Lee would probably be at the top of the list but they cost ~$300-400. Are there others in the Remedy's price range that are just as good? Sure. Bell makes good helmets, so does 661. A lot comes down to what fits you the best. Try to hit some LBS's and try on a few different helmets to see what fits your head the best.

AFWIW - Both of the guys that crashed in Deviants both ended up getting Remedys.
    What makes TLD the best helmets? Are they statistically safer? Or do they just look cooler?

I like the D2, it's a cool looking lid, but its so expensive for a standard CPSC certified helmet.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    What makes TLD the best helmets? Are they statistically safer? Or do they just look cooler?

I like the D2, it's a cool looking lid, but its so expensive for a standard CPSC certified helmet.
    Just that they have better graphics and are lighter than a Remedy. I in no way wanted to imply that they offered better protection.

woof.

mtbr member
    It does not matter what anyone says is best if it does not fit your head properly.

Go try on some from Giro, Bell, 661. All make something in your price range and get the one that fits best. I am not mentioning TLD as it is out of your price range.

moaaar shimz
    Yah, I'm not wanting DOT.

Tacubaya, would you choose remedy over deviant? Have you read/heard/used Deviant or Remedy?
    I've tested and heard and read about the Remedy and I assure you its a great helmet. Strong enough, light enough, cool enough and... cheap enough.

I currently have a Fox Rampage and I like it more that the Remedy because of the shape and comfort (it has a moto profile with a narrow chin guard instead of the wider profile on the Remedy).

I recommend you go to a store and try the helmets out, see which one you like best.

Where are you in Texas? I know it is difficult to find full face helmets on local stores.

Jun 2008
    Khemical,

thank you very much for your help !!!
    Just the info I needed thx!

Joel

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical

Last question,
    Which of these (661, giro, bell) offer the best ventilation?

Also, I have to get from the internet, I live in Houston and there is VERY little demand for Fullface helmets so 1 store within 100 miles carries them and they had 3 very cheap styles and only 1 was my fit so I will have to wing it :\

Jun 2008
    There is VERY little demand here in Houston, and the ONLY store within 100 miles that carries them had only 3 styles...1 that fit...and they were all junk

So i will be buying from the internet, i wish i had the privilage of trying them on :\

Im just going to have to wing it and hope for the best

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Remedy

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    I've tested and heard and read about the Remedy and I assure you its a great helmet. Strong enough, light enough, cool enough and... cheap enough.

I currently have a Fox Rampage and I like it more that the Remedy because of the shape and comfort (it has a moto profile with a narrow chin guard instead of the wider profile on the Remedy).

I recommend you go to a store and try the helmets out, see which one you like best.

Where are you in Texas? I know it is difficult to find full face helmets on local stores.
    I see exactly what you're talking about after looking at pictures
    Man i wish i could try these one.

I sure appriciate you guys workin with me, I dont have much to work with in my location

moaaar shimz
    The only DH store I know is in near San Antonio airport called "Drop Zone Cycling", they carry a lot of helmets. (I bought my Fox Rampage there and lemme tell you they have great prices)

The most ventilated is the Remedy.

Cheers

Jun 2008
    Wow I've been double posting, I've been wondering where my quotes were going lol

now I see they're up there next to the original

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If you have access to several to try on, do that! If not, order one on-line after measuring you melon per the instructions from the manufacturer. Fit is the most critical issue (followed by wearing it properly!).

I have a Giro. When I took a BIG spill this year, I did a face plant so hard I had a minor concussion. I was seeing stars for a few seconds, but no other damage (to me). The Remedy did its job! There is now a crack on both sides of the face section - above the vent. The visor also broke and is missing a big section in the front (yes a REAL face plant). I continued to tumble down a rock section and hit the sides hard too. I see there are some deep scratches/gouges from multiple impacts.

This Remedy is now a trophy. It served me well and saved my face and head.

Giro (which is now Bell) has a very good crash replacement policy. You call them and give them info and they will send you a new one for 30% off retail, including shipping. I did this and it was very easy! 30% off is not great, but a new helmet for $84 delivered is still hard to beat!

Customer service has been great too. Easy to reach and helpful.

But then the TLD lids sure are pretty...

Good luck. Save some $$ for body armor and pads too!

Jun 2008
    Lastly,

Since it's down to Rampage or Giro, which one looks better?

Is the Remedy made for a wider head? It does seem significantly wider than the Rampage.
    Last edited by iamjoel5; 06-25-2008 at 10:29 PM.

Jun 2008
    I would highly recommend the Giro Remedy. It fits a lot better than the Deviant, at least on my head.

mtbr member
    Giro definitely fits a wider head. It's the only helmet I've tried on that didn't taper down in the middle. A lot more comfortable. Get the Remedy. Cheap, great ventalation, fits good. No Idea on strength.

mtbr member
    661 is HOTTTTT!!!! I wore one for 3 minutes just sitting around and I started sweating, so I'd stay away from it. I liked the remedy, it just didn't fit my head shape right. I bought the deviant and think it is a great helmet. Everyone says it doesn't hold when you crash, but I've taken some good crashes with it and all I have is a few paint scratches...

KEEP ROLLING
    Giro remedy .. i have the black one and love it !!! very comfortable

Now with More Wood
    661 Pro Bravo Carbon at that price is a sweet deal on a very cool helmet. I have the regular Pro version, for me its a good fit, very comfy, with good protection (quite a few crashes including a nasty faceplant in a rockgarden...not enough to warrant replacing the helmet but a pretty horrible off nevertheless...). Hot....well, yeah, it gets to 35 celsius here every day for 3 months of the year more or less...the guys I ride with all have different helmets (from TLD to Rampage to 661 to Remedy), and we all feel like crap after a couple of hours...just strap it on the pack for the climbs and be done with it. Basically, anything more than an XC lid when its warm out is not going to be very comfortable for trail riding.

Nov 2007
    broken nose huh...? so where's the picture?

Jun 2008
    Well I ride freeride tracks in the woods, we don't have any appropriate downhill unless I'm going to drive 3+ hours. This definitely doesnt mean it's not intense so I do need a good helmet - 30-40 ft steep drops dodging trees and maneuvering against MANY uprooted vines, and all kinds of climbs, drops and stunt set ups. My point being I appriciate the comments on the integrity of the Deviant.

So I do have the benifit of shade, yet now we're getting average of 93 F rating 103 F including humidity. So just because I'm in shade DOES NOT by any means mean its not frkin hot outside !!!

I like the look of 661, but I think JPine93 is right, it just doesnt have anough ventilation. I found a really cool graphic'd Remedy for $80 and the helmet shape of the Rampage is really nice moto style, Tacubaya, but didn't really find anything that was well graphic'd. Rampage doesn't really seem to think graphicing is important for non-DOT helmets.

Iceman, I think you're right, that is a great price for the 661 Pro Bravo Carbon 07. The one I found is the 07' model and apparently they have discontinued it so thats why its so cheap. But as JPine said, they are hot, and they look hot. Very few vents are definitely not my friend in Houston.

My options are down to Rampage and Remedy and I feel I cant go wrong with either besides fitting.

Any outside suggestions of helmets is appriciated if you find them "better" than these 2.

Jun 2008
    Haha Albertomannil I did not take one.

My left knee was very bad, right shoulder, and i hit the left side of my nose...so it must of been a very akward fall lol

I took a 25 foot drop that was a down then up seperated by a stream with about a 7 foot long/3 foot wide floating bridge. Apparently I lost balance and went off the bridge about a couple feet from the end and my front tire hooked the opposite bank and i went over the handle bars face first. I dont remember this, this is just the most logical explanation. I had a shell helmet which was smashed in the front, but it became very apparent it's not enough protection for the riding the style and aggressiveness I want to.

I just recently finished my visits to my local plastic surgeon...not fun. I had the boxer split between my eyes where the skin split just from impact and my septum was completely ripped and lodged in my right nostril. Chin was pretty beat up to. I was knocked out for about 4-5 hours and my only memory is right before i crashed looking at the bridge, then waking up and realizing i'm walking my bike in the woods towards the entrance. luckily i wasnt 5 miles in and only about a football field length in.

Surgery went great and everything is healed besides the nose completely and a few scrape scares on the face still fading.

Wish I had a pic for you guys! lol...you want the gore!

Dr Phil mmkay

+1 for a Remedy

Remedy,

Don't worry about how it looks, trust me, there's always someone out there with an uglier lid than you, for example:

My next helmet will be a THE One (carbon, zebra print)

moaaar shimz
    Here you can see the profile of my helmet a bit better. I like how Rampage's chin guard is stronger and stiffer than the Remedy's but really if you found the Remedy for a good price and you like the graphics then GO FOR IT!

Jun 2008
    This is the one that I found, matches my bike perfect!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    very nice helmet, i have an old is 661 standard helmet, no idea what modal
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Z7vGiUg8bE&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Z7vGiUg8bE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    remedy...

i have one and live in dallas...i use it for jumping and whatnot, and dh when i can go. light and not too bad in our heat down here.

I wanted a CPSC to replace my DOT so i'd wear it more locally....it's definitely much more confidence inspriring then rolling a skate lid at the jumps...and it's great for DH because it vents.

I won't go back to DOT for bi-sickles....

mtbr member
    I got my 08 remedy from bicycle warehouse dot com for $108 to my door.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    joel, your trails sound sick, you need to hook me up with an invite. If you are around dallas holla.

Jun 2008
    sickbullit would love to, would need to be between aug 12th and aug 28th. I'm headin to summer school at A&M on monday. will be back the 5th but vacation on 9-12. Then back on 28th. Would be sweet for you to come down. I have a yakima roof rack so I would be able to transport to and from track

Jun 2008
    wow MTB_Prodigy lol thats a pretty nasty fall. If thats you good thing u had people with you. My usualy riding people werent down to go the day I wrecked. I was fortunate there were people just finishing the track when i walked out to help me.

Jun 2008
    Sickbullit if your really down for that I'm cool with it, I think it would be fun. How old are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i'm old....41.

but i still hit stuff that is decently sized.

i'm not in houston often, but i'm always wondering where the good spots are in tejas.

Jun 2008
    Have you been to Memorial Park tracks inside the Houston loop?

mtbr member
    wow MTB_Prodigy lol thats a pretty nasty fall. If thats you good thing u had people with you. My usualy riding people werent down to go the day I wrecked. I was fortunate there were people just finishing the track when i walked out to help me.
    no thats not me, Thank god

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i have seen nothing in Houston, other than Dirtwood.

Jun 2008
    Jack Brooks Trail is pretty far, Much more towards Galveston. Memorial Park Track (AKA Ho Chi Mihn) is by the Galleria (Big Houston Mall) on the West side of Houston Loop (610)

Jun 2008
    Both are very good. Memorial has about 8 different trails color coded for difficulty, yet it's most technical track barely compares to Jack Brooks. It's strictly technical, except for little side tracks incase u dont wanna take a certain drop or an uphill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phil mmkay
    Remedy,

Don't worry about how it looks, trust me, there's always someone out there with an uglier lid than you, for example:

My next helmet will be a THE One (carbon, zebra print)
    yo, either im high, or that helmet looks sick!! (i dont smoke :] )
    '08 Turner DHR :)

trail fairy
    Remedy!

I love the look personaly, everyone rides TLD, theyre cool no doubt!

New 661s look pretty cool too, if I make my comeback to DH. I'll get another Remedy, but may also look at some more Moto protection and neck brace LEAT, but do some research on moto weights impacts on necks for DH!

Remedies are badd ass plus they breath well
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Brackish
    I use the Remedy, love it. I've also had a Bell Bellistic, which wasn't bad, and a cheap moto helmet that was a sauna for my head.

Members who have read this thread: 0