Best Helmet for Mounting a HID- Mtbr.com
    the train keeps rollin

Best Helmet for Mounting a HID

Brethren,

So my Giro sucks donkey pole when it comes to mounting my HID. The vents are too far forward. I need neck brace to cope with the pain after a few hours.

What's a good helmet and model for running lights up top

Thx.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    What light are you using?

There are a number of different mounting systems in use by various manufacturers. Is the neck pain a result of the weight, or rather a result of poor positioning of the light making you hold your head at a funny angle to point the light where you want it?

Dave.

the train keeps rollin
    Hey Dave,

Flight HID, but switching to a Lights n Motion ARC HID. I think it's the positioning. I need a helmet where I can position the light more rearward on the vents. The only vents I can use on my helmet are on the front.

thx.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I noticed the same neck trouble when I would use my Giro Xen helmet during 24 hour races. If I rode with the same light and my E2 I wouldn't feel a thing. It turns out that the Xen's doesn't rear strapping did not hug the back of my head like the E2. The E2's rear straps go much lower and almost cup the back of my head. The Xen, on the other hand, didn't cup the back of my head and therefore the weight of the light would cause my helmet to tilt forward so much that I would have to tilt my head further back to get the light pointing at the correct angle to the trail.Basically, if the helmet doesn't grip your head correctly, the helmet will tilt forward and cause you to have to strain your neck to keep the light at the correct angle. Needless to say, I shitt-canned the Xen and only ride with the E2 now.

Members who have read this thread: 0