Best helmet for baby?- Mtbr.com
    bottom dweller
    Apr 2007

Best helmet for baby?

Any ideas on good helmets for little noggins?

Most of the ones I've seen in stores are only "approved" for 3 yrs old or so.

What do you guys/gals use for your smallest, most precious cargo?

thanks
    "What's the use of a fine house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?" ~Thoreau

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by unezridr
    Any ideas on good helmets for little noggins?

Most of the ones I've seen in stores are only "approved" for 3 yrs old or so.

What do you guys/gals use for your smallest, most precious cargo?

thanks
    My experience (2 kids) is that helmets don't work until they're about a year old or so. That said, the Specialized Small Fry Toddler has been the best fitting helmet I've found.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just tried a Ascent Buzz Toddler Helmet from Performance on my 21 month old this weekend. Shell was a good fit but the straps need to be tightened way down. I got 90% there when she put up such a fuss in the store I had to stop fiddling with it and put it back on the shelf.
    ....they claim 3-5years old and 18 -20 7/8" head circumference.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My daughter has a Giro Infant. 48-56cm fit range. She's 3 now but started using it in the bike seat around 18 months. It has a good shape with a built in visor without being too bulky in the back. It also has a decent strap adjustment.

You don't say how old your youngin is. Keep helmet weight and your kid's neck strength in mind. They're going to be bouncing around back there and they need to easily support it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the Giro helmet for our one year old. It was way to large and she hated it. I added a bunch of padding left over from other helmet purchases and it ended up working great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    We have the Bob's Lazer helmet. You have to order it online, for about 25$, but it fit my daughter from about 8 months. She had a head circumference in about the 60th percentile at that time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a Giro "Cops and Robbers" for my son, 23 months old. Fits perfectly, nice and light and has 2 flashing red LED's on the back with an on/off switch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    One thing to consider if you have the kids in a trailer is to look back periodically (all the damn time) to make sure they don't get strangled by the chin strap. That's why I didn't put my little one in a trailer until she could wear one without putting up a fuss about it.

Members who have read this thread: 0