Best Helmet?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Best Helmet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Best Helmet?

What do you recommend for a helmet? I plan on trails and downhill once I get used to it. I have $130 to spend. thanks.

Riding or Fishing
    Fox Flux...sweet helmet, and very comfortable!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    vega mojave

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Do I need a full helmet like the vega since I am still a beginner? I was thinking about something like a giro zen.

Jun 2007
    you will when you get into downhill. if anything beginners will fall a lot more, don't wan to get messed up off the bat and be put off from biking.

did you think about buying a cheaper full face and getting a bucket or whatever too? i have a 661 Full Comp that I use when I am riding more difficult stuff, but when I am just making a trip to local singletrack I take my bucket. my full face has saved me a couple times now without any structural damage to the helmet, but when you really get into DH you will want something stronger.

Jun 2007
    i just wear a skate helmet. Get a Bell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    ohh trust me you will love having a full face. I have gone over the handle bars a couple times and all i have to say is that if you have a cross country helmet, it will just slide off when ur face hits the ground. When you have the full face it stays with you. They have saved me a lot. (plus you look cooler) haha
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    what about when I just ride around the neighborhood? Do you guys still wear the full faced helmets?

Get out and ride
    Apr 2007
    Giro XEN

Jun 2007
    I vote either Giro Hex or Xen. I perfer teh Hex cause I like the little scoop slots over the oval slots if you know what I'm talking about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i think that you should either wear that giro or just get a cheap protec helmet to ride around with. but for downhill USE FULL FACE

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    For downhill or BMX definately wear a full face helmet. Which model though is an area I can't really help with as I now only do XC, wearing either a Giro E2 (summer) or Avanti Razer (winter).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What about other gear like elbow pads and shin pads? Should I juet get the knee pad instead of the whole shin? Found some things on clearance. What other gear do I need? I think I may invest in a camelbak.

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Auto...ds&menuLevel=1

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    it depends are you goin to be using the armor for downhill or just riding around. if you are going to be using it for downhill, the armor you looked at would be good if you went to the local skate park. this armor is for downhill. well knee and shin so far. I love roach. and no this stuff isn't cheap, but its cheaper than a hospital bill.

mtbr member
    Full face helmets are definitely overkill for around the neighborhood. I've found that full face helmets tend to be hotter than hell, but take that worth a grain of salt because I only use FF helmets when I'm snowboarding. My old roomie used to be into DH riding and said the same thing though.
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

Semper Fi
    Jul 2007
    I'm loving my Fox Flux....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just ordered a fox flux today.

Members who have read this thread: 0