Best Full Face Helmet- Mtbr.com
    MTB SOCAL

Best Full Face Helmet

Just getting into DH and I was wondering which full face helmet to buy. I've heard good things about Troy Lee helmets. I don't mind so much the price if they are worth it. Is the D2 carbon worth $100 more than the D2 composite? Or should I stick with 661 or Bell? Other than fit, how important is weight in a full face helmet that will probably only be worn for short intervals? Thanks.

Perpetrator of Lawsuits
    I have an Azonic T-55 that I really like. It is light, well vented, and comfortable. I took a serious digger the first time I wore it, and it saved me from what would definately have been a broken jaw. Instead I didn't get a scratch (on my face anyhow )

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    hey, check out the Pryme Carbon Fibre helmet. It's really well priced, and really carbony!

Jun 2004
    While we're on the subject of helmets, are these full-face helmets safe to reuse after a crash? I know regular bike helmets are supposed to be replaced once you crash on them. Are the full-face bike helmets designed to take multiple hits? How about those skateboard style helmets (ProTec)?

a'buh?
    full faces and skate lids are multiple impact helmets, so unless you can see or feel something wrong with them, they should be fine. But if you take a really gnarly blow to the head, i'd still replace them
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

May 2004
    I know that my TLD D2Carbon is only good for one impact, I would think that the composite is good for a few though. I think that all carbon helmets are good for 1. As for it being worth it.....I think it is. I wanted to get the composite, but they were all out like everywhere, so I stepped up and got the carbon. If you just want a helmet for FRing and occasional DH, go with the composite. But, if you need a helmet thats gunna be light, go with the carbon.

May 2004
    When I was looking into full face helmets, I shopped around and decided to go with a DOT motocross helmet so I can use it for drag racing also. At first, I expected it to be way hot and heavy but in reality, I take the helmet off when shuttling or on the chairlift anyway and downhill courses do not last long enough to worry about ventalation...at least the ones I do at Northstar. Anyway, I was glad that I got my Vega because I seem to be landing on my head a lot. It's probably a sign of my skills but at least I know the helmet can take it and I dont have to get another one after every crash. Just this past Monday, I was under the impression that I was skilled enough to go down an "Expert" course. I quickly learned that I'm strictly an advanced rider. Luckily my Motocross helmet was plenty strong and I barely felt the impact. The dings on the helmet confirmed the severity of the crash. Lets just say I felt like one of those break dancers doing a head spin. I say wear as much as you can bear. If you take a nasty spill, you wont regret wearing it. Btw, I landed on my chest afterwords hard enough to rip the jersy and scratch the Flak Jacket. I really need to work on my technique! but hey, I am here to talk about it.

May 2004

I like my Mad max

I have had a Giro Mad Max for two-thee years and like it. It has a good opening I can look down and up just fine, some like Bell are hard to look down with the rased center. I have had some realy bad face first crashes with it and just dust it off. I like the TLD composit and would get one if they still made the flame blue, but just for the looks and the padding comes out. The mad max is fine and safe. If you can only crash in the TLD carbon once forget it, I would be on my 4th ot 5th. Try the Mad Max and TLD on ans see, you will be safe with both.

BJ-

Jan 2004
    i would say go out and get a Troy Lee D2 Tank...ive got a D2 and its awesome...its everything about a helmet u could and would ever want...yes its expensive but hell...believe me its worth it...the quality of it is amazing...every little detail has had massive ammounts of qualitly poured into it...and they look sweet...mines white with red flames and red padding inside...

other godd helmets for ur dollar are SixSixOne Full Bravo...and the carbon version...they have a great policy after every crash (a helmet is only supposed to endure one stack) you send it back with 50 bucks and they send u a new one which is really good...and the bravo is very light...its lighter than my D2 and is very good for the price...another helmet i would reccomend would be a Giro Mad Max 2...its much similar to the Full Bravo...but looks better and a lil heavyer like the D2...check em out on the web and then go to a shop that has em...

take note when i say this...try on the D2 last so the other helmets get a fair go...

Apr 2004

Have you tried any on yet?

Have you tried any on yet? That's going to be the biggest factor. When I bought my Madmax, the biggest factor in the decision was that it fit me better than most other helmets I tried on. Try on a Giro, Bell, 661, TLD, etc and see how it goes. Make sure it's snug (realizing that it will pack out a little bit once you start wearing it) but without pressure points. I don't know where my madmax is on the relative scale of ff helmet weight, but it seems fine to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i have an hjc helmet. it's for motocross, and it's dot approved and stuff. it can take a lot. just the visor kind of sucks, but the motocross helmets offer the best protection and they are not too hot. (atleast i don't think so) i have heard good things about the 661 bravos and stuff. those seem to be light and cool, also about the mad max's my friend has one and likes it. i guess it's just what fits best for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I like the Vigor Vamoose II. Good looking helmet, good protection, don't notice the weight, and it fit's my oval head perfectly ( I could sleep in this thing).

The BEST helmet is the one that fits your head best... so try on a bunch of different helmets.

MTB SOCAL

Bought a TLD D2 Sprocket

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    i would say go out and get a Troy Lee D2 Tank...ive got a D2 and its awesome...its everything about a helmet u could and would ever want...yes its expensive but hell...believe me its worth it...the quality of it is amazing...every little detail has had massive ammounts of qualitly poured into it...and they look sweet...mines white with red flames and red padding inside...

other godd helmets for ur dollar are SixSixOne Full Bravo...and the carbon version...they have a great policy after every crash (a helmet is only supposed to endure one stack) you send it back with 50 bucks and they send u a new one which is really good...and the bravo is very light...its lighter than my D2 and is very good for the price...another helmet i would reccomend would be a Giro Mad Max 2...its much similar to the Full Bravo...but looks better and a lil heavyer like the D2...check em out on the web and then go to a shop that has em...

take note when i say this...try on the D2 last so the other helmets get a fair go...
    Thanks for the input. I tried on a bunch of full face helmets today and ended up buying a Troy Lee D2 Sprocket. I fiddled with the custom fit pads which go under the foam and it fits phenomenally. Can't wait to test it out tomorrow at Big Bear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hardtail Freak

Use Mace!

I run a Mace Foil helmet. It's relatively lightweight and stands out from the crowd because it has barely any graphics. I have the fiberglass version and it's quite affordable. Really comfy and sturdy, quality construction.

Click to view:
    http://www.shutupandride.ca/articles...php?art_id=355

mtbr member
    My old Azonic AXZ (?) fit my head best. Sold it after a few seasons and replaced it with a Vigor Vamoose 2 which doesn't fit quite as well but has better vents and the pads are removable to de-funk them.

Sin

Feb 2004
    Bad Ass right here baby

May 2004
    You should have gone with this....its only $1100 for the paint....