Best Freeride Shoes?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2008

Best Freeride Shoes?

I need help picking out some shoes to wear while riding. I use Easton platform pedals and ride cross country, all mountain and some pretty rough and technical terrain. I have heard that alot of guys use skateboard shoes such as vans. The only problem I see with that is when I come to a section that is unridable, I'm not sure the flat skateboard shoes have enough traction on the ground to keep me from sliding around.

I have seen freeride shoes from 661 and 5/10 does anyone else make them and how are they?

Thanks.

P.S. yes i'm a newbie and yes this is my first post

mtbr member

Baba Booey!
    +1 for the 5.10s

I've ridden clipless for over 10 years, I just bought the 5.10s and paired them with Crank Bros 5050s. Let me tell you, I've never been able to do a 'proper' bunny hop w/o cheating with the clip ins, but last night I pulled of some nice hops on the platforms. Feet never slipped. the 5.10s really stick to the pedals.

Is flexy
    Welcome...

Nothing compares to 5 tens. The grip like crazy and are nice and stiff. Worth every penny... you already have some nice pedals so its time for some nice shoes.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I rode the 510s for some time. I had a weak fall on a rocky section and the 510's were so sticky my foot stuck and I rolled my ankle, fracturing my foot..

I use Circa skate shoes now. (the ones with an ankle strap to keep the laces out of the way.) Sometimes I think the 510's are too sticky. I'd use them for racing for sure. But for general riding and messing around I like to re-set my foot on the pedals. With the 510's that's really akward to do..

Also, the circas are substantially more comfortable for walking around when doing trail work/scouting.

mtbr member
    i wear nikes
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    As others have mentioned there can be only one... 5.10's!

Its got what plants crave
    Does 510 make anything that doesn't look like something Napoleon Dynamite would wear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Does 510 make anything that doesn't look like something Napoleon Dynamite would wear?
    Yeah check out there Dolce and Gabbana collection.....

Oh, So Interesting!
    I also just picked up some 5.10s and Tranny pedals. I really like them, my foot is closer to the spindle, and the shoes are stiff enough to give your foot some support. The feel through this setup is really good.

Dr Phil mmkay
    My new 5.10 lo's are in transit!

May 2007
    It won't add anything to the discussion, but 5-10! :P
    I bought some last year and they're wonderful.

..ouch
    +100 for the 5.10s. I ride Easton's as well and recently switched from skate shoes to the 5.10s. Huge improvement. I had also ordered the 661 Descend Taki's on sale and wasn't nearly as impressed. I gave them to my kid as street shoes and some of the thread is already coming loose in the toe area.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    OMFG! Function over fashion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    5-10

end of the line..

nothing comes close.. anyone tell you different, they are sponsored by some other brand.. the rest of us that have to pay .. 5-10s

mtbr member

Just buy them. You will see.

mtbr member
    5.10s get another vote here. They even make sh!tty pedals feel good.

mtbr member
    The marz version of the 5.10s are quite nice.
    ........................................BLAHHG!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i rock some old-school etnies ;o)
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5
    OMFG! Function over fashion.
    5.10s

GOSH

When in doubt pull out!!!
    May 2006
    Although I have never tried 5.10's freeride shoes, I do wear 5.10 Anasazi's for rock climbing and their rubber is like nothing else, super sticky, no slip, and work well even when they get wet. You can't go wrong with the 5.10's. Also they just released 2 pro models, so you don't have to go for just black, or navy blue. This is just my $.02, I'm going to be buying a pair for myself.---Todd
    Gravity is over rated, but it also hurts!!!!

A mountain bike is better then a girlfriend, it only whines when there's something wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I rock some DC's with 5050 pedals, good combo. I planning on switching the pins out on the pedals for more grip.

mtbr member
    I'm weird I guess but I found the 5 10's too sticky. If I didn't like my foot placement it was hard to make small adjustments without lifting my foot off completely. I have been riding the old Richie Schley lakes and find them just o.k. Fairly comfy and my feet don't slip. The new Shimano MP90's with the vibram soles look dope and you can adjust the stiffness with different inserts.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/170...Shoes-2008.htm

Mar 2004
    5.10 Ftmfw!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSideUp
    I'm weird I guess but I found the 5 10's too sticky. If I didn't like my foot placement it was hard to make small adjustments without lifting my foot off completely. I have been riding the old Richie Schley lakes and find them just o.k. Fairly comfy and my feet don't slip. The new Shimano MP90's with the vibram soles look dope and you can adjust the stiffness with different inserts.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/170...Shoes-2008.htm
    those shoes look like Sunday shoes. they sound cool though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    5.10 here too :-)

Mar 2008
    Thanks everbody. I would say after seeing this response there is no doubt I will be ordering some 5.10's

Mar 2008
    the 5.10s are the best platform shoes that exist

EastBaySteez
    Im going againts the 5.10 band wagon here.
    I've had my 661 Session SPD's shoes for 4 months now, they have held up to riding 3-4 times a week, building/digging trails, walking around the mall, longboarding etc.

If you are just riding platforms go with either the Filters or the Descend Taki's. 661 Stand behind their product if the soles break they replace them.

( My buddy has both 5.10's and the Descend Taki's, He likes the Taki's over the 5.10's )
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Feb 2004
    5.10s + mentals = too much grip.

I'm happy with any decent skate shoes on the mentals, I usually favor globes, etnies or dc.

Mar 2007
    i'm gonna say that for freeride, i like using just a flat bottomed skate shoe (dc are the best i've tried so far) it's just easier to bail when things go south, you dont want your feet stuck when your upside down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Circa CC2 aka Cannon 650's Rock!!!!!!!!!

Circa made my fav mtb shoe and I own 3 pair because they stopped making them. Pedals are very important also. They gotta match up. I use Drive sealed pedals, also out of production.

gmoney was gmoneybike
    5.10s...Double Plus Dildo Bashguard Smashing Action. Performance top notch! Didn't notice any comments about durability so I'll chime in....These shooes last a long time, trail building and riding - great investment - worth the coinage-all that and a bag a chips and like Stevie Wonder Says "Ja ja Jammin on the One"
    Were looking at balz

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have really enjoyed my Lakes, but beware they run a bit wide.

mtbr member
    +1 510

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    i rock some old-school etnies ;o)
    That's also how I roll.

Hell, those new Teva's look just like MC Raps if you can remember those.

I was thinking of just rocking some Vans.

mtbr member
    I'm still rockin an older pair of intense branded shoes, the predecessors of 5.10's. They're kinda gnarly lookin from years of east coast mud but they haven't torn and grip like mad. If you're running clipless platforms I just bought a pair of shimano am45's, they're kinda fugly lookin but grippy, super comfy and stiff enough sole for XC riding.

mtbr member
    i use 5.10s as well. its true that it is hard to reposition your feet without lifting them off. your shins will love you though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    lMFAO! That's pretty funny. I have a pair of Burton Ion snowboard boots that are truly Dynamite boots, BUT they are the best boots EVER.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I wear these:

5.10 Chase Phantom
    -Greg
    Lynskey Ridgeline 29-SL, Truvativ Hammerschmidt, Cannondale Lefty 29er SL w/ DLR (Project321 adaptor). 26 lbs.

mtbr member
    Honestly....any good skate/BMX style shoe will work well. They have soft compound soles that will help grip the pedal better and a good flat shoe helps the feel some. Those 5.10 shoes are basically just a skate/BMX style shoe.......maybe a few tweaks, but really a DC, Vans, Duffs, Simple.....the list goes on....will do the trick.

I generally like a good shoe over pedals that have long nasty pins. Some of the pedals these days don't allow you to move your foot around on them.......and coming from a BMX background it's all about being mostly stuck to the pedal....but still being able to slide that foot around. So I like pedals that have a textured surface with minimal pins to give good traction, but not be so aggressive as to make your foot not move at all.

Two good pedal options and a pair of Vans does the trick.

Primo Strickers come in Aluminum and Magnesium too, but the plastic works better than you think if you have good shoes.

Eastern Pedals.....good stuff right there! Again, the plastic ones actually work quite well.

https://www.easternbikes.com/products/part/41

Either of those pedals and a pair of these Vans and you are ready to Rock n Roll !!!!

The 5.10's will rock n' roll too......

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Shimano SH AM-40s. Can't knock them at all

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Shark skin Cowboy boots or VANS

I Void Waranties
    the 510's were good but didt last well in the wet. The 661's where *****.

Ive been on the same pair of converse for 3 seasons now and the have zero problems...good toe protection as well. It should make those NIKE fan boys happy too since they are now owned by the same people...though NIKE still abuse their people and make use of child labor.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

banned
    I like these; feel like a well broken in shoe and reasonably priced...

Best Freeride Shoes?-stcky-lizard.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 0