Best Buy promotes no helmets when biking in traffic- Mtbr.com
    Pwnerer

Best Buy promotes no helmets when biking in traffic

I saw this today and it's amazing how a big company like that can be so stupid. link: http://www.wordplop.com/2009/09/25/b...tric-scooters/
    My signature is better than yours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Most amusement parks show people holding their hands up on the rides in their tv commercials, when it is against the posted rules. (and in Ohio is a misdemeanor).

Many car commercials show people climbing boulders and racing around city streets at high speeds, these are clearly dangerous.

What I find is worse is where there are print ads and TV commercials that are supposedly promoting safe practices, and the kids helmets are too loose and worn improperly.

Apr 2004
    Well, in fairness to BB, helmets kill the cool factor when marketing to the general public. Hopefully they're promoting them when they actually sell the bikes. It's more money for them, so I suspect they are.

On the other hand, I find the idea of riding a vehicle serviced by Best Buy in traffic to be pretty terrifying.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    Most amusement parks show people holding their hands up on the rides in their tv commercials, when it is against the posted rules. (and in Ohio is a misdemeanor).

Many car commercials show people climbing boulders and racing around city streets at high speeds, these are clearly dangerous.

What I find is worse is where there are print ads and TV commercials that are supposedly promoting safe practices, and the kids helmets are too loose and worn improperly.
    I hate when Jack-In-The Box show their tacos brimming full of lettuce & fixin's, then when you get one, it's just a grease-laden shell w/ some slimy "meat" and a pinch of lettuce.
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The video I watched in that link is no where near as bad as they make it out to be.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A big company being stupid? Why, that's just too common to get all bothered about. Besides, you're implying that people are so stupid that they would choose whether or not to wear a helmet based on a commercial. If that's true, then they are probably too stupid to ride an electric scooter in traffic anyway. They'd get killed whether or not they had a skid lid on (remember, helmets don't protect your internal organs or spine when a car runs over your midsection).

Further, helmet-worshippers believe that bicycling (and electric scooter riding) is so incredibly dangerous and helmets are so incredibly effective, that riding without a helmet is sure suicide. I've got news for you - it's not that dangerous and helmets are not that effective. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they can mitigate head injuries. A much more important factor is safe riding techniques and being visible to motorists so that you avoid getting hit or crashing in the first place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KPVSR
    The video I watched in that link is no where near as bad as they make it out to be.
    Agreed. They mention the women who was "weaving so hard she had to put her foot down", but what I saw looked like she had been stopped behind the bus and was pulling her feet up as she started again. Most likely she was doing this to make a right-turn-on-red, not to blatently run a red light.

DeForest Stump
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris4ka
    I saw this today and it's amazing how a big company like that can be so stupid. link: http://www.wordplop.com/2009/09/25/b...tric-scooters/
    Boris,
    I've heard BB also promotes drinking soda at restaurants.
    Also, regarding your avatar, you should never give an uzi to a hamster or gerbil. Carry on.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

yeahbut...

but a pair of em is a hella good and satisfyin' 99cents worth of greasy awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I hate when Jack-In-The Box show their tacos brimming full of lettuce & fixin's, then when you get one, it's just a grease-laden shell w/ some slimy "meat" and a pinch of lettuce.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    but a pair of em is a hella good and satisfyin' 99cents worth of greasy awesomeness.
    2nd that. You have to know it's not a "real" taco like you get at Del Taco or Taco Bell, but for what it is, and for what it costs, you can't beat it.

They are my favorite when I want something to eat, but I'm not hungry enough to spend over $6 on a spicy crispy meal...

And of course, it must be washed down with the mandatory super quencher dr. pepper (I wish they still used that name for their large drinks)...

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You walk into a bike shop and asks "Where can I buy an electric bicycle?"
    Bike Salesman: "F*** You. Get the F*** out you lazy piece of SH*T"
    An electric bicycle is either a moped or scooter. "Electric" and" Bike" should not be used in the same sentence referring to the same item.

Damn bullsh*t marketing crap!
    Wal-Mart quality shocks/forks and everything else.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    "Electric" and" Bike" should not be used in the same sentence referring to the same item.
    I think a cheap-ish electric bike would be nice ... something more along the lines of a motorcycle though ... where it can be used for commuting then ultimately parked like a car would be (not toted into your office to be cluttering up the area).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    You walk into a bike shop and asks "Where can I buy an electric bicycle?"
    overheard in the lbs last night with the same question:

lbs. i dont know, we dont sell them
    customer. yer sign says ya sell electra isnt that them there lectric bicycle. what are yer tryin to pull?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    did anyone go look at the specs on these "bikes" its pathedic.
    the lithium ion version almost 2 grand. and all you get is 15mph for 20 -23 miles.
    umm you dont need electric power to do that. just buy a real bike and pedal yourself to better health and happyness and save some money.

Live 2 Ride
    Or get a gas powered version. I saw an old bike with a go-kart motor on it the other day. He must have been doing 30 MPH down the street.
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A go-kart motor wouldn't be my first choice because of the size. With the right gearing, you should be able to do 40-50. I've been thinking about getting one of these as a project:

http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/content/view/169/157/

My great-uncle gave me the idea when I was a kid. My grandmother used to tell me about one he built as a kid and rode it to school.

From my cold, dead hands
    Are we seriously coming down on a company that has a commercial showing people riding around with no helmet?? Jeezus...get a life! You know, some Americans still haven't lost the notion of personal freedom and the ability to decide what is best for themselves.

Live 2 Ride
    I don't wear a helmet. But then again most of my riding is in a empty parking lot or empty park these days.

I probably will get a helmet soon.
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    uh-oh. i can see where this is going.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So, when is it a retailers responsibility to tell you what you should do?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    This about the only electric bike that I would really like to own. But not at that price!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIhqH...eature=related

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Oh the horror, the horror

mtbr member
    Do you know how many tv shows, movies, ads, etc. that show people playing paintball with just goggles on? No field in the world is gonna let you play w/out the correct mask not just goggles. I guess its just not glamorous enough to show people doing things with the proper safety gear.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    McDonalds shows skinny/healthy people ordering up supersize combo Black Angus burgers when we all know BUFF's are really buying most of them. Condom commecials show good looking guys and gals buying them and not the guy in 7-11 at 2:000am buying a box with the closing tme six-fifty (six beers and fifty feet) skank he picked up.

Madison avenue is funny like that........

TRANCER
    I think too many people on these message boards a a little to tight in the rear. WOW! Amazing !!
    Ride

Can't feel my legs
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    I think too many people on these message boards a a little to tight in the rear. WOW! Amazing !!
    A super sized combo angus burger would help for this

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by JPark
    A super sized combo angus burger would help for this
    Ride

Members who have read this thread: 0