Best body armor...for the front range- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Oct 2004

Best body armor...for the front range

My elbow and knee pads are starting to show some wear. So, I'm on the lookout for some fresh protection. Slippage, or the lack there of, comfort, and impact protection are the key focus with cost being secondary to these points.

Does anyone have any experience w/ these knees, and elbows?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    My elbow and knee pads are starting to show some wear. So, I'm on the lookout for some fresh protection. Slippage, or the lack there of, comfort, and impact protection are the key focus with cost being secondary to these points.

Does anyone have any experience w/ these knees, and elbows?
    Fox Launch Race pads are awesome. Stay in place good.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I'm trying out THE knee/shins. So far, so good. They stay in place really well and are very comfy. Sol Vista rents them and I bought a rental pair for a good deal. I haven't fallen on them yet, but I got them because Roach/RF knee cups can move, and did one too many times. Also, THE's have a piece of protection above the knee cup, which I wanted after not having it on the RF pads.

FWIW, I have the POC vpd shorts, and they're ok, but not good enough to buy more poc stuff quite yet... performance is good but the construction methods and materials could be dialed a bit better.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I just picked up the THE Storm knee/shins as well this afternoon from Sol Vista for the same reasons as Dave. The Race Face Roach knees are good for everything other than protecting above the knee.

The THE knees stay in place really well and feel much lighter than the Roaches but still look to have killer knee and shin protection. We will see how they go over the next few weekends of racing.

I love my POC Bone Arm protection.

percocet pioneer.
    I pretty much stopped wearing protection other than my leatt and my 661 EVO knee pads. if I wear a suit it's a 661 pro pressure suit which is my second one, I highly recommend it ( http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/196...p=535%20SSOPP9). I'd jump on that if you're a large or XL.

percocet pioneer.
    p.s. I've heard good things about the POC stuff, if you have the money you should probably go that direction.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Thanx for the heads up on THE stuff.

SH - I don't have the moneys to pay for ER visits, so I'm stepping it up a bit in plastic and foam. The ground REALLY likes me so I visit often

My 661 stuff will most likely do for the rest of the season. But I am on the hunt for mo' betta.

mtbr member
    I'm rocking the POC bone elbow and they fit very comfortably, but I haven't crashed with them so I don't know how they'll hold up. The rest includes the 661 core saver, Leatt, and Fox launch knee/shin. I'm really happy with this setup.

Thread Terrorist
    Shop around and go with what fits you. Getting advice is key as well, but there's nothing wrong with finding something that won't rub you the wrong way. PPC, mojo, the fix are all shops that usually stock this stuff.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    The ground REALLY likes me so I visit often
    training wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Didn't like race face stuff

But I do like my 661 evo knees and lizard skin elbows.

trail waggler

Maybe this?

I used to have some Corerat pads, great coverage, comfortable, just pretty hot for summer trail stuff. I have some cheapy Rockgarden knee/shin now and some Pro-tec elbows, good combo for me.
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Speaking of armor, I had a huge hematoma on my hip after a crash last year. This year I went looking for some hip protection and found Rockgardn CYA shorts. They are lycra shorts you wear under your regular baggies, and they have solid plastic hip, thigh and tailbone protection sandwiched in soft foam. I slid out on a berm over the weekend and landed directly on my hip, and the pads were perfect. The best part about them is you honestly don't even know they are there until you need them. They wick really well, and keep you cool under your normal shorts.

You have to wear something underneath (don't you?), so you might as well wear something that keeps you riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just purchased an almost new Dainese Wave V pressure suit off craigslist on the cheap...and that thing fits better than I ever imagined body armor to fit. It's also very airy (dominatrix style fish netting) with full cut outs at your elbows and armpits. If all their stuff is this mobile and non-irritating, I may fork over for full price dainese stuff next time.

Road bike, dirtbike, and mountain bike armor is all pretty much the same...don't limit yourself to only mtb specific armor. Go check out dirt bike stores, as almost all dirtbikers wear armor. Fay Myers (motorcycle/dirtbike showroom/retailer) down at arapahoe and I25 carries a ton of elbow and knee/shin guards. They had the Troy Lee Designs Lopes knees/shins in stock which I thought were a great design...unfortunately only in size small at the time though. Maybe they'll get some larger ones in stock soon. They still had lots of other types/brands in stock still...Fox, TLD, Thor, and some others I haven't heard of before. They did NOT have the Fox launch sets in stock.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    I just picked up the THE Storm knee/shins as well this afternoon from Sol Vista for the same reasons as Dave. The Race Face Roach knees are good for everything other than protecting above the knee.

The THE knees stay in place really well and feel much lighter than the Roaches but still look to have killer knee and shin protection. We will see how they go over the next few weekends of racing.

I love my POC Bone Arm protection.
    You running the 1 or 2 piece? I have some 3 year old RF rally fr leg armor that I wear any time I'm on a bike and need replacing. I have no complaints from them at all and am considering getting a new pair of the redesigned version but I'm always open to a change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i just bought 661 kyle strait knee pads and im liking those a lot. you can barely feel them on but they still take a beating

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    You running the 1 or 2 piece? I have some 3 year old RF rally fr leg armor that I wear any time I'm on a bike and need replacing. I have no complaints from them at all and am considering getting a new pair of the redesigned version but I'm always open to a change.
    I have the one piece. I was riding Race Face before that and while I like them they don't protect just above the knee worth crap.

I rode with the THE Storms all weekend this past weekend and so far they are awesome. I was riding a wider variety of terrain (Winter Park high speed & jumps, Keystone long and rocky, Sol Vista rocky, dusty gnarlier) and the temperatures were warm and pretty humid for Colorado Mountains. I took a few diggers in rock gardens and they stayed in place with no issues.

They are pretty annoying to get off at the end of a day when you are tired and exhausted from riding all day as you have to get them past the heel of your foot and your calf. But once they are on they don't move and don't feel hot or tight.

Only one weekend so far, but looks very promising. Racing this weekend at SnowMass will be the next test.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i have the kyle straits which are great, and the Raceface rally fr legs and arms, also very nice, no slippage and comfy. And not too much $

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    I have the one piece. I was riding Race Face before that and while I like them they don't protect just above the knee worth crap.

I rode with the THE Storms all weekend this past weekend and so far they are awesome. I was riding a wider variety of terrain (Winter Park high speed & jumps, Keystone long and rocky, Sol Vista rocky, dusty gnarlier) and the temperatures were warm and pretty humid for Colorado Mountains. I took a few diggers in rock gardens and they stayed in place with no issues.

They are pretty annoying to get off at the end of a day when you are tired and exhausted from riding all day as you have to get them past the heel of your foot and your calf. But once they are on they don't move and don't feel hot or tight.

Only one weekend so far, but looks very promising. Racing this weekend at SnowMass will be the next test.
    I agree with the "above the knee" statement, they're pretty useless up there. Sorry to hear you got to test them out but thanks for the report

Members who have read this thread: 0