Best baggy's ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Best baggy's ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Best baggy's ?

Whats your favorite baggy shorts ? Padded preferred. I have some alpinestars drop 2 shorts & like them a lot. Just looking for something with similar quality for less $

mtbr member
    I like Fox and Zoic. I have a few pairs of Endura's for hot months. $55-100USD is my range. Always looking for shorts on sale. I always rotate 4-5 pairs. They last for years.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    My faves: Endura Humvee
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    I gave up on baggies, kind of. All of the one i ever owned were too loose and slidd down the back, or stayed up but were too tight around the middle. What worked for me was cheap bibs that i wore under cheap board shorts from walmart.
    Sorry i didnt provide the exact solution you wanted.
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Zoic Ether is what I like. Plus they have a wonderful chamois.

Sneaker man
    my favs are my endura humvees and mavic...somethings.
    All the gear and no idea.

WillWorkForTrail
    I picked up a pair of Gore shorts that I like, although off hand I couldn't tell you what they are. I do know that I got these on the cheap because of the color (blaze orange is apparently not popular, but some states require it if you're in the woods during hunting season) and when I went to look for another pair, I was *shocked* by the price.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of Zoic and a pair of Club Ride. I forget what each of the particular styles are. But I love the Zoic pair. Can't stand the Club Ride pair - I swear they must be designed for people with no balls. Literally. There is no room down there, and the shorts don't seem to move around very well. Very constricting.
    "An old mountain biker once said. "If I don't ride, I'm just old."

since 4/10/2009
    I have a pair of Club Ride shorts. The chamois liners are TERRIBLE, but the outers aren't bad.

My favorites are NZO Dobies. I want to get a pair of the NZO Sifters for comparison purposes. They fit GREAT, and the fabric choices are spot on. No chamois, but a fleece lining in the crotch. Actually works well for riding without chamois for rides up to about 2hrs. Longer than that and I want chamois. Which I add by just wearing regular lycra roadie shorts.

I have some old Pearl Izumi Titan shorts which are pretty good, too, though they are starting to show their age.

I tried some Novara shorts that I got at the REI Garage Sale one year. Those are the opposite of the Club Ride shorts for me - the chamois they came with isn't bad, but the baggies suck. They're cut for someone with no butt to the point that they restrict movement. They make it very hard to throw a leg over the bike. Once riding, they're fine. But I swear I'm gonna rip them out just getting on my bike one day.

I gave up on shorts with physically attached lycra a long time ago. What an awful pain in the a$$ that is. When you wash them, they get all twisted and knotted up. If you crash and destroy the lycra liner, you have to cut them out to keep using the outer baggy part (and then you've got that crappy cut seam left over). I look for shorts that either don't come with a liner at all, or which have a removable liner. It's a far more versatile way of doing it. It may cost more initially, but it really is better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    My faves: Endura Humvee
    Are these padded ? All the descriptions I can find say they have removable liner, but don't mention padded

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Are these padded ? All the descriptions I can find say they have removable liner, but don't mention padded
    What kind of padding are you looking for? Sounds like chamois padding is not what you're after (and what most people tend to mean when they refer to padding).

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I love Troy Lee Design Ruckus shorts. Great chamois, vents, pockets, durable, adjustable fit, just awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    What kind of padding are you looking for? Sounds like chamois padding is not what you're after (and what most people tend to mean when they refer to padding).
    Just light padding typically found in baggy's is fine.

since 4/10/2009
    Just light padding typically found in baggy's is fine.
    That doesn't help much. What KIND? Chamois padding is really independent of the baggy short. Use whatever liner short you like. Thicker chamois, thinner chamois, whatever.

For that matter, buy a few liners for every pair of baggies you own. The liners get funky while the baggies tend to be fine for a couple rides unless you ride in the rain, mud, or get super sweaty.

Do you want protective padding on the thighs for crashes?

mtbr member
    Yes they have a padded chamois like most baggies. And like most baggies, the chamois is a light spandex/lycra affair with the sewn in padded chamois in the crotch. It can be completely separated from the shorts.

I especially like the 4 zipped pockets. Good quality zippers. My latest pair has a waist button (not a snap) with a usable fly and belt. They also have zipped ventilation panels.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    That doesn't help much. What KIND? Chamois padding is really independent of the baggy short. Use whatever liner short you like. Thicker chamois, thinner chamois, whatever.

For that matter, buy a few liners for every pair of baggies you own. The liners get funky while the baggies tend to be fine for a couple rides unless you ride in the rain, mud, or get super sweaty.

I appreciate your advice on that. I wasn't really clear on the different kinds of padding in baggys. ps. Love the look of those NZO shorts, but geez... $150/pr, and not available within the US that I can find. Any insight on deals on those ?

Do you want protective padding on the thighs for crashes?
    No padding needed on thighs. .. just in the butt area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have a pair of Club Ride shorts. The chamois liners are TERRIBLE, but the outers aren't bad.

My favorites are NZO Dobies. I want to get a pair of the NZO Sifters for comparison purposes. They fit GREAT, and the fabric choices are spot on. No chamois, but a fleece lining in the crotch. Actually works well for riding without chamois for rides up to about 2hrs. Longer than that and I want chamois. Which I add by just wearing regular lycra roadie shorts.

I have some old Pearl Izumi Titan shorts which are pretty good, too, though they are starting to show their age.

I tried some Novara shorts that I got at the REI Garage Sale one year. Those are the opposite of the Club Ride shorts for me - the chamois they came with isn't bad, but the baggies suck. They're cut for someone with no butt to the point that they restrict movement. They make it very hard to throw a leg over the bike. Once riding, they're fine. But I swear I'm gonna rip them out just getting on my bike one day.

I gave up on shorts with physically attached lycra a long time ago. What an awful pain in the a$$ that is. When you wash them, they get all twisted and knotted up. If you crash and destroy the lycra liner, you have to cut them out to keep using the outer baggy part (and then you've got that crappy cut seam left over). I look for shorts that either don't come with a liner at all, or which have a removable liner. It's a far more versatile way of doing it. It may cost more initially, but it really is better.
    I appreciate your advice on that. I wasn't really clear on the different kinds of padding in baggys. ps. Love the look of those NZO shorts, but geez... $150/pr, and not available within the US that I can find. Any insight on deals on those ?

since 4/10/2009
    Have to order the nzo shorts direct from the mfr. The only deals you will find will be the "last year's style" type with typically limited sizes. The exchange rate is favorable for us dollars to nz dollars. The last pair I ordered were closer to 120. Rates are prob different now.

Keep in mind that these are made by a small operation with high quality. The seams on mine are super robust. Extra reinforcement in a few areas and good fabrics. They are worth it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Have to order the nzo shorts direct from the mfr. The only deals you will find will be the "last year's style" type with typically limited sizes. The exchange rate is favorable for us dollars to nz dollars. The last pair I ordered were closer to 120. Rates are prob different now.

Keep in mind that these are made by a small operation with high quality. The seams on mine are super robust. Extra reinforcement in a few areas and good fabrics. They are worth it.
    Good know. I may actually pull the trigger on the NZO's .. I only need one good black pair to round out my short necessities

mtbr member
    Backcountry seems to have the best deals..my fave have been the FOX Rangers..$44

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I like a bit longer shorts and found the Royal Racing turbulence and they are my favorite shorts ever. No padded liner and looks like they don't make em anymore....but great.