Besides a helmet and gloves do you wear protection when xc riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Besides a helmet and gloves do you wear protection when xc riding

If i was doing some downhill trails i would use my motocross padding but was wondering if anyone wears shins or elbow guards xc riding, if you do what brands.
    Last edited by ajcjr; 04-08-2016 at 02:38 AM.

mtbr member
    I wear the G-Form Pro-X elbow and knee pads when I ride single track. Breathable, light weight and not bulky. Technology | G-Form

Moderator Moderator
    I always wear kneepads, sometimes elbow. It's rocky and gravely here though and easy to stack, it depends on how likely you are to crash and into what.

POC kneepads

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    XC , the bare basics for me. Gloves, glasses and helmet

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    XC , the bare basics for me. Gloves, glasses and helmet
    Same

9 lives
    My gear is basic for xc . Specifically full fingered gloves , glasses (Oakley Prizm trail) and am helmet (TLD A1) . If I'm riding more technical trails then I'll wear knee pads (TLD T-bones) because I like little jumps and downhill sections.

It's your call. No matter what anyone tells you, you will just have to decide on your own if you want the extra protection. If you crash a lot, it's not a bad idea to protect yourself. I find that the more padding I wear, the more risks I take.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I ride XC, I DON'T huck or do 5' drops but I still wear Fox Launch knee/shin guards and elbow pads. Can't believe I used to ride without them. They save me every ride.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    I wear the G-Form Pro-X elbow and knee pads when I ride single track. Breathable, light weight and not bulky. Technology | G-Form
    same here. Just enough protection.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Just gloves and a helmet for me. I don't like climbing with extra guards and I don't like stopping and starting and messing around when I'm doing XC.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I've never used any pads in 20 yrs. I have the scars to prove it. They might save you a few scratches and cuts. I keep saying I should get some, but haven't...
    I think the TrailSkins "look" like the best option for me, if they'll fit. Breathable, but with some decent protection.

Broken Hipster
    I picked up a Storelli Goalkeeper shirt for this season.
    Mostly because my G-Form elbow pads are worn out but also to take just enough of the sharp edges off the rocky crashes and tree strikes on my shoulders.
    I always wear a Zoic Impact liner and knee pads along with full finger gloves and helmet.

Cactus Cuddler
    I run eye protection and knee pads in addition to helmet and gloves. An embarrassing amount of it is old issued stuff - ESS Issued Eye protection, some SW Motorsport Camelbak rebranded full gauntlet gloves, or some Wiley-X CAG-1 gloves. For everything else it's a cheap Kali helmet, and the knee pads.
    For the most part, the knee pads exist as a reminder that I make poor decisions when on bicycles, more than anything else. I crash less frequently when wearing them, and really only gotten use out of them a few times - which for me is small.

Always in the wrong gear
    I used to go 'full enduro' and wear Alpinestars Paragon knee and elbow pads and armored knuckle full finger gloves for every ride because it wasn't a good ride unless it was black-diamond.
    Then as I kinda moved more to XC riding (self preservation) I stopped wearing all that and wear just a helmet and sunglasses, sometimes not even gloves.

Then I realized that I was still banging my knees, elbows and knuckles into stuff like cacti and trees, so I'm rethinking the minimal protection situation.

TL;DR- not for crash protection, but because I can't stay on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    glasses.

i once hit a branch..just grazed it with my eyeball. hurt so bad, i went to the doc. i was jogging. on a bike, definitely.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

@njcshreds
    For trail riding I'd add glasses to your kit. I save the pads for gravity park riding or any other time I take the big bike out to do stupid fun stuff.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    All of my bad crashes have occurred during "xc" rides, resulting in broken bones, concussions, lacerations, etc. In addition to a good helmet I'm all about lightweight protection these days, G-form seems to be working well so far.

mtbr member
    Besides a helmet and gloves do you wear protection when xc riding-image1460161855.592311.jpg not me , but seeing it happen just trail riding convinced me .i wear g form knee pads also !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    For "just" XC rides, gloves and helmet... Anything more technical than that, which includes nearly all of New England, I wear AlpineStars hard shell knee pads as well.

mtbr member
    Oh yes! I always slip on a condom before I go out for a ride. You never know when you'll hook up with some hottie on a mountain bike.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Oh yes! I always slip on a condom before I go out for a ride. You never know when you'll hook up with some hottie on a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Helmet gloves glasses
    When I head to Moab I add in knee/shin guards and elbow/forearm.

mtbr member
    Flats? Could be classed as safety gear

-----------------------------------------------------------
    #1 resolution... Ride it like I stole it!!
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    What? You don't want me to catch anything, do you?

mtbr member
    My go to kit for an average ride goes something like this: Oakley Radarlock Prizm Trail Glasses, TLD A1 helmet, Specialized Body Geometry Gel Long Finger Gloves, POC VPD Air knee pads, Teva Links shoes, Specialized Demo Pro Shorts & various TLD Jerseys worn over a cycling bib for comfort and an Osprey Zealot backpack. I'll add POC elbow pads for more techy trails and for downhill specific, TLD D3 helmet with POC 2.0 knee, elbow and hip pads. It's kinda fun to be all kitted out.

Robertson
    Almost always wear knee pads, either Specialized Atlas or Dainese trail skins (Atlas more comfortable for longer rides but less protection). Always helmet (Bell Super 2), always full finger gloves, always riding glasses. If I'm going to be doing fast downhills or lots of jumping, I'll wear the chinguard for my Super 2R or throw it in the pack, same with elbow guards. Am I sometimes wearing "too much" protection for some of the trails? Maybe, but I've also crashed on some of the easier trails and rather like not having to get stitches...