• 06-22-2008
    bank5
    Bell Variant Helmet for $59 - best bang for the buck?
    I need to get a new helmet but don't want to break the bank on one because I'm saving for a new bike. The best deal that I've found so far is the Bell Variant on Jenson for $59. Do you think this the best deal around?
  • 06-22-2008
    Papa_Otter
    I Don't know about the best deal but a bit of advice if I may. Make sure that helmet fits your head.

I believe helmets are generally made for people with round heads and people with oval heads. From what I have seen they don't mark this anywhere on the helmet, so you just have to try it on and see how it fits.

It would be worth spending more for a helmet that fits well vs a helmet that is easy on the wallet but has a horrible fit.
  • 06-22-2008
    dieselcruiserhead
    definitely try on first, I made this mistake and luckily I ran over the helmet by accident and it forced me to get a new one. Too big, too high on my head. I found unreal deals at the cheapo sporting good stores, Sports Authority etc, all about $40 or less versus the average bike shop deals. The Giro Havoc is a good quality helmet too, same average price. I ended up taking someone else's advice and got the Fox helmet for about $100 that rules and fits really well. The only other that rivaled it was the really expensive Giro at about $135.
  • 06-22-2008
    EGF168
    I also donít know about good deals but last time I bought a helmet I tried a lot of them from Met, Giro, Fox, Specialized and Bell, the Giroís were nice but I managed to beak the fitting mechanism and the fit wasnít perfect whereas the Bell Variant has a really nice fitting mechanism, is well made and fits perfectly, and it looks pretty cool:

• 06-22-2008
    bank5
    Thanks for the replies. I tried on the Variant at my LBS and it fit great but was $40 more and real dusty so I'll probably get it from Jenson.
  • 06-23-2008
    TX_Shifter
    I got a GYRO HAVOC for 39.99 at my local Performance Bikes.

(Price match w/ its online store)
  • 06-24-2008
    Fivedays
    I got my Giro Animas last year on clearance for about $45. Works fine and looks pretty good. I think all helmets are pretty much the same safety-wise with minor variations on the retention system. As long as they're Snell or ANSI rated, mostly you're shopping for looks and the right size for your head.