Bell Super 2R. It's Official! - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticalbeard View Post
    What coupon? I only see the member only thing with 20% off.
    Yes, that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    Doesn't work with Bell products. I know because I tried.
    Worked for me

Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-bell.jpg

Ipe
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    20% is typically good on full priced items only. There might be other exclusions though. I got an Osprey Raptor 14 for $13 with my dividend and 20%. Good luck.
    IBIS Mojo 3
    Norco Ithaqua 2s

NEMBA

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Yes, that one.

Worked for me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bell.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	978353

Oh my bad, I was thinking of backcountry

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Went to my LBS which had one of these in. I tried both medium and large, I must say that I like it. I have not bought it yet since I'm not yet convinced because of the high price. The pads sur make the helmet narower but I don't see why you shouldn't remove them. IMO a good buy if it wasnt so expensive, especially here in Canada where the dollar is having a rough time...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Bought my Super 2r last week. Spoke with a very nice woman at Bell about a pro deal...they offer them to Industry types, Retail types, and government types i.e military, law enforcement, firefighters, forest service, etc. She approved my pro-deal for being a firefighter and a bike patroller at my local lift-service bike park. I can't complain about the $115 I spent for the MIPS Super 2r. Knowing what I know now, I'd buy it for $200 too.

Fits like a glove, and I'm loving the versatility. I don't want to feel like a kook peddling in a full face, but I have no problem throwing the chin guard on this during local technical downhills and traverses. I may even use it at the bike park on days I'm not pushing myself.

LOVE this helmet.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by tomson75 View Post
    Bought my Super 2r last week. Spoke with a very nice woman at Bell about a pro deal...they offer them to Industry types, Retail types, and government types i.e military, law enforcement, firefighters, forest service, etc. She approved my pro-deal for being a firefighter and a bike patroller at my local lift-service bike park. I can't complain about the $115 I spent for the MIPS Super 2r. Knowing what I know now, I'd buy it for $200 too.

Fits like a glove, and I'm loving the versatility. I don't want to feel like a kook peddling in a full face, but I have no problem throwing the chin guard on this during local technical downhills and traverses. I may even use it at the bike park on days I'm not pushing myself.

LOVE this helmet.
    Holy crap that's a good deal. In Canada the price recently went up $20 due to the shitty exchange rate. This past weekend I ordered a non-MIPS medium white from my lbs and even with my 25% team discount I am still at $215 out the door. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Bit of an update, I was planning on getting the MET after trying on the Super 2R at my LBS, like most people, I though the foam piece made a weird hot spot. However, tomson75's mention about the pro-deal was too good to pass up. I figured $100 for the 2R i could either hack up the padding to make it work, or simply just sell it. Turns out I didn't need to.

Even though the foam piece is in place in mine, it feels much less pronounced than when I tried it on previously. In fact, it's so minor that my few rides with it so far (all between 1-2 hours) it hasn't bothered me at all. I also am very glad to have the face bar for an additonal piece of mind. I've been stashing it in my pack for the climbs and then clipping it on when I get to the top. Really, you could just leave it on all the time, the whole thing is very unobtrusive. Air flow is great, and for a large head like mine the L fits wonderfully.

Yes, it isn't a full on DH helmet, but that's not what I wanted. I wanted a helmet that can be ridden anywhere aggressively, and with some additional peace of mind of protecting the looks. I'm very pleased with this purchase.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Glad it worked out for you FW!

Over it
    Jun 2010
    A belated followup: After the initial pressure point problems a few months ago, they completely disappeared after a handful of rides. Either my head is permanently numb or the helmet got broken in. Either way, I'm very satisfied!
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

mtbr member
    It's getting warmer here - 85F yesterday.

I have done several rocky trails with a lot of elevation changes and the Super 2R is hardly any different from a standard open-face MTB helmet even with the chinbar attached. It ventilates extremely well. It would be impractical to clip it on and off, but I haven't even felt the desire.

I also haven't crashed on my face yet, so the chinbar is untested but seems strong enough.

On XC trails I ride without the chinbar, so I have a pretty good idea about the ventilation both ways.

mtbr member
    I'm on the edge of medium and large so I ordered both since they were back ordered. Medium came in and I tried it on and it was a little uncomfortable at first. However after adjusting the fit with the wheel, making it tighter, it felt great. Have worn it for over 4 hours worth of riding and it feels great. Cancelling the large.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky697 View Post
    I'm on the edge of medium and large so I ordered both since they were back ordered. Medium came in and I tried it on and it was a little uncomfortable at first. However after adjusting the fit with the wheel, making it tighter, it felt great. Have worn it for over 4 hours worth of riding and it feels great. Cancelling the large.
    Do you ride in cold weather at all? If you do, I'd be concerned about the medium fitting with even a thin skull cap or balaclava, if it's snug right now.

mtbr member
    I wear a skull cap all the time. The thing is that when I first put it on it was uncomfortable and almost felt tight because it was resting on my head in the wrong places. Once I actually adjusted the fit and tightened up the headband so it fit like it should all was well. Used my ski helmet last winter and that worked out great, but spring just arrived and I don't want to start thinking about winter again lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I don't know why people complain about the cheek pads being too narrow, it's not like you can't open the velcro on them and take some padding out or just completely unsnap them from the buttons.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by icamponyourMOM View Post
    I don't know why people complain about the cheek pads being too narrow, it's not like you can't open the velcro on them and take some padding out or just completely unsnap them from the buttons.
    So true. But more importantly to me, I think you kinda need the snug fit against the cheeks in order for there to be protection using it in full face mode (*at the risk of stating the obvious*). I have never had a full face helmet in my life - bicycle or motorcycle - that did not fit at least a little bit snug in the cheeks. That's an intentional design feature, not some kind of defect. A full face helmet, regardless of brand, may not be for everyone.

As for fit, everyone's head is different. It fits mine as though it was custom made. I cannot understand the basis for people on here to draw conclusions based on the fit for others, when everyone's head is almost certainly of a different shape, at least to some degree.

This helmet is THE best helmet I have owned in decades of biking. It looks sick, is reasonably cool (temp wise) and is versatile as hell. The only issue is fit, and that is something that each person will have to determine by trying one on. In person.

mtbr member
    i really want one but sadly- no XL. come on Bell a lot of big guys would buy one in a heartbeat

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECTRIC_YETI View Post
    i really want one but sadly- no XL. come on Bell a lot of big guys would buy one in a heartbeat
    What size is your head? I wear an XL in just about every other type of helmet imaginable, but the super 2r large fits me perfectly. I wear a size 7 3/4 hat if that helps...and I've got room to spare in the large Bell.

mtbr member
    big!! tried one on at lbs pushed on head hard enough that it would give me a headache. 24 7/8 . dont know what hat size that is. might be better if i keep my bushy head trimmed. ill try again

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECTRIC_YETI View Post
    big!! tried one on at lbs pushed on head hard enough that it would give me a headache. 24 7/8 . dont know what hat size that is. might be better if i keep my bushy head trimmed. ill try again
    That's a big melon! You're probably in the top 1% in head size. That sucks that you're that close...but if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Maybe try it again without the extra cheek pads? Not sure that will help, but its worth a try I suppose.

mtbr member
    all things cycle are tough for me. built like ailverback. 6' 250 lbs. 58" chest long arms and 34 inch inseam. boughtt a hydration pack last year sits on top of shoulders like a cartoon character wearing a preschool backpack. i bought a specialized max. which is big enough and then some but it makes me feel like one of those fuzzy headed chickens. i use a bell faction almost all the time, but when its hot the max is vented better. tring to make my own sun visor for the faction(only real drawback besides looking all "shortbus")

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I finally bit the bullet and purchased the helmet, what I did was buy the non-mips Super 2R w/o the chin bar on sale at a local sporting goods store, then I ordered the replacement chin bar online, ended up being $169 total cost which is a little easier to justify.

I used the helmet on an all-day bike park ride, I liked the light weight, excellent ventilation and the vision is quite good, I barely notice the chin bar. I also had a feeling of more protection which (good or bad) inspired a little more confidence.

What I did not like was the fit, it is nothing like my older Super 2, that helmet fit me like a glove. This helmet has some firmer pads where the visor attaches that ride hard on my head. After a few hours I was constantly moving and readjusting the helmet as it was beginning to hurt. I stuck with it all day thinking the more I wear it the pads will form to my head. The next day I had slight bruises on my skull.

So I am in a quandary, I like all the features of the helmet but fit and comfort is so important. Debating if I should give it more time or return it, the latter being a big hassle and some shipping cost. I can't figure out how Bell took such a comfortable helmet design and made it worse, guess my head is not shaped like the model in their design department. By the way I did not find myself removing the chin bar during the ride, too much of a pain to stop, remove the bar, take off my hydration pack and stow it only to get it back out further down the trail. Seems to me it will be more of a helmet you convert for the day depending on what you anticipate riding. I may try removing the pads but it will void any returns of course.

Rent this space for $
    ^ Refer to the original few of my post at the beginning of this thread.....I started this one. Remove them and keep them in a baggy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just got my Super 2r with MIPs in the mail today. My local shop had a Super 2 with MIPs that I tried on (they didn't have the chin bar) and the L fit great. The 2r I got felt terrible. Those hard rubber pads weren't in the helmet I tried on in the bike shop were causing the rear corners of my head to hurt a ton after wearing the helmet for a few minutes. I called up Bell and asked about removing them and all they would say is "we can't recommend it."

I ripped out the hard rubber pieces and it fits exactly like it did in the bike shop. Just seems odd to me that the upper half in the bike shop didn't have them and the one I got does. Aren't the uppers supposed to be identical?

Rent this space for $
    As I said in one of the earliest posts in this thread, when I talked to Bell right after the helmet was first released, they weren't detailed but told me the pads had something to do with the certification of the full-face aspect of the helmet. From what it's sounding like, it would seem that they are not installing them in helmets that leave the factory without a chinbar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    As I said in one of the earliest posts in this thread, when I talked to Bell right after the helmet was first released, they weren't detailed but told me the pads had something to do with the certification of the full-face aspect of the helmet. From what it's sounding like, it would seem that they are not installing them in helmets that leave the factory without a chinbar.
    That's the key to all your fit questions. I made the exact same experience. From what I know now the best strategy is to buy a Super 2 and buy the Chin bar separately. Why? The Super 2 comes with a slightly different padding inside and fits a bit better than the 2R (with the plastic pads removed). Seriously Bell - this whole plastic pad business nonsense is a bad joke!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    That's the key to all your fit questions. I made the exact same experience. From what I know now the best strategy is to buy a Super 2 and buy the Chin bar separately. Why? The Super 2 comes with a slightly different padding inside and fits a bit better than the 2R (with the plastic pads removed). Seriously Bell - this whole plastic pad business nonsense is a bad joke!
    I would imagine it has to do with head shape. For me, the plastic pads aren't an issue. Fits great, keeps the helmet nice and snug along with the cheek pads. Without those pads, I would have extra helmet movement and perhaps have higher likelihood of the helmet not keeping my head positioned within it during impact. For a different shaped head, it's an uncomfortable mess.

mtbr member
    I would imagine it has to do with head shape. For me, the plastic pads aren't an issue. Fits great, keeps the helmet nice and snug along with the cheek pads. Without those pads, I would have extra helmet movement and perhaps have higher likelihood of the helmet not keeping my head positioned within it during impact. For a different shaped head, it's an uncomfortable mess.
    I was talking about Bell Super 2 (comes stock without plastic pads) vs Super 2R with with the plastic pads removed! After plastic pads removal one would think the fit between these two is the same. But in fact it's not - the Super 2 comes with slightly different padding and fit me better. This information is only relevant for prospective buyers of the helmet who fit it. If you have a general issue with your headshape none of these helmets will fit.

since 4/10/2009
    I have the super 2 and it has the pictured pads at the sides near your temples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I have the Stoker, Super and Super 2, the first two fit like a glove, Super 2 not so good. When I compare the Super with the Super 2 the shell looks almost identical, the difference being the metal piece near the ear where the chin bar latches. The pad layout is different and the Super 2 has the firm rubber pads that cause the issue with some head shapes. Like mentioned before the pads must have to do with the crash rating when the chin bar is attached. By the way the chin bar fits the Super as well, but no metal insert for the side latches to lock into.

My bet the next version fits better as I've seen several independent reviews of the Super 2 say the fit is not very comfortable.

Rent this space for $
    Hmmmm! So the Super 2 with NO chinbar has the pad after all. Interesting how it would seem some have it, some don't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Correct I bought the Super 2 silver with red stripe w/o the chin bar, it has the pads. Every Super 2 I have looked at has the same pads.

high pivot witchcraft
    I stuck a Sweat Buster in mine and voila, even better than before. Comfier and snugger through the rough stuff. Not to mention not a drop of sweat made it past the Sweat Buster in 90 degree temps today. A definite improvement to my Super 2R fit-wise.

Kick Start My Heart
    It's official, I like it. The fit needed some rework, but it's all good now. When I would ride without the chin guard, things were great, but with the chinguard, after 45 minutes or so, the helmet would feel tight at the back of my head. I wear headsweats, and I made sure there was no bunching, I removed the velcro pads, and got a little relief. I read through this and noted the hard temple pads, reinstalled the velcro pads, and removed those. Rode out last night, and no issues. I wonder if the helmet gets a little tighter when the chin guard is cinched down? Anyway, I love it! Coolest Bike Helmet Ever!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My helmet fits a little tighter when the chin bar is attached.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I stuck a Sweat Buster in mine and voila, even better than before. Comfier and snugger through the rough stuff. Not to mention not a drop of sweat made it past the Sweat Buster in 90 degree temps today. A definite improvement to my Super 2R fit-wise.
    Did you remove some of the stock padding in front or just stick in the Sweat Buster over it? A SB is mandatory for me and looking at getting this helmet so curious how it would work/fit.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmanxj View Post
    Did you remove some of the stock padding in front or just stick in the Sweat Buster over it? A SB is mandatory for me and looking at getting this helmet so curious how it would work/fit.
    I don't have my helmet in front of me but yes - I removed the stock padding. It was in one piece. I had to "unpop" from the foam in the helmet, each side of the plastic strap that goes around the back because it passed through the padding on each side. I didn't want to cut the padding. Brutal explanation and when you have the helmet in front of you it will all make perfect sense. It will take about 30 seconds in total to do this, with nothing damaged. I kept the padding in a safe place, in case I ever change my mind on the SB or don't feel like wearing it come fall.

For a much more eloquent explanation than I just gave, look at post #39 in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-prote...-879087-4.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just ordered the 2R at my LBS. I will not wear a FF while riding uphill or flat, but would like the little extra protection for descents on the dry dusty SoUthern California trails I ride. The removable chin piece seems to be the answer.

mtbr member
    Update: I just bought a Super 2 for a friend and it now comes with the same plastic pads the Super 2R came with before. So my former recommendation above to buy Super 2 and chin bar seperately (in order to avoid the pads and have a better padding) is now obsolete.

since 4/10/2009
    Update: I just bought a Super 2 for a friend and it now comes with the same plastic pads the Super 2R came with before. So my former recommendation above to buy Super 2 and chin bar seperately (in order to avoid the pads and have a better padding) is now obsolete.
    I could have told you that months agp

mtbr member
    Love the Super 2R.
    Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-img_3744.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    I just ordered the 2R at my LBS. I will not wear a FF while riding uphill or flat, but would like the little extra protection for descents on the dry dusty SoUthern California trails I ride. The removable chin piece seems to be the answer.
    I thought the same thing but found it somewhat of a pain to keep stopping and installing or removing the chin bar and stuffing it into my Camelbak Mule (tight fit by the way). Your experience might be different but I ended up just leaving mine on as it is so light and you really don't notice it after a while. Guess it depends on the trail but I ride SoCal as well.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastline View Post
    I thought the same thing but found it somewhat of a pain to keep stopping and installing or removing the chin bar and stuffing it into my Camelbak Mule (tight fit by the way). Your experience might be different but I ended up just leaving mine on as it is so light and you really don't notice it after a while. Guess it depends on the trail but I ride SoCal as well.
    Depends on the ride profile. I think it's best suited for up, up, up, then down, down, down, which is 95% of the rides in my neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    FYI: The chinbar sits snug on the back of the Osprey Raptor 10 (which is an awesome hydration pack) using the lid-lock on top and buckle through the hoop at the bottom.
    Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-2r.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm picking one of these up in the next couple of days. Where can I get the best deal online besides Rei?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Which packs easily fit the chin guard? I am looking to get a new pack but a lot of them don`t seem to fit the chin guard as easily as I would have expected - the Camelbak Mule for example (as mentioned above). I have a Deuter Air Race EXP and the helmet holder strap thing works well with the chin guard but looking to try out a new pack. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Evoc Freeride Lite. Either the Team version, or the standard version with optional helmet holder.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Camelbak Kudu works well.

Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-image.jpg

mtbr member
    I've tried Deuter, Camelbak and Evoc packs but the Osprey Zealot 15 turned out to be the best

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    After several rides with my Super 2R the two spots it was hitting on my head continued to hurt and I gave up on it "breaking-in". As suggested in a prior post I removed the two thin rubber pads just above the ear area. They came off easily and left no damage or residue on the inside shell.

Taking those pads out made a huge difference on the fit as they were clearly hitting my skull like high spots and causing bruises. The helmet still does not fit as sweet as my Super 2 but at least the pain is gone. So if anyone is experiencing the same fit issue, I strongly suggest removing those pads.

Hi There!
    I got the Bell Super 2 MIPS. I've only worn it around the house for a while after work, looking forward to riding tomorrow morning, weather permitting. Felt good so far, even with the rubber inserts in. Coming from a Fox Flux.
    NTFTC

Rent this space for $
    Just bought a second 2R from Art's last week. They are (were?) blowing out 2015's for $130. Snagged a matte black/matte gray that matches my new Carbon Evo frame.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    I got the Bell Super 2 MIPS. I've only worn it around the house for a while after work, looking forward to riding tomorrow morning, weather permitting. Felt good so far, even with the rubber inserts in. Coming from a Fox Flux.
    Rode for about an hour this morning before the rain. Helmet feels good overall, I did very slightly feel the "bolt" for the mips that is toward the back/side but nothing that bothered me. Helmet feels good.
    NTFTC

since 4/10/2009
    I would like to point out one aspect of this helmet that really has been irritating me the past few weeks.

The brow padding. On most helmets, it's a continuous pad over my eyebrows, that, even when it saturates with sweat, helps to channel excess sweat AROUND my eyes. The brow padding on this helmet has channels that help to FUNNEL sweat towards my eyes.

Thankfully, I wear glasses that fit snugly and keep most of the sweat from getting in my eyes. But I still get sweat running down over the lenses. When I'm completely saturated in sweat, I don't have a dry piece of cloth to clean my glasses with. Such a PITA.

I bought a Sweat Gutr yesterday in hopes of channeling excess sweat around my face, but it sure would be nice if something like this was actually built into the helmet.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I would like to point out one aspect of this helmet that really has been irritating me the past few weeks.

The brow padding. On most helmets, it's a continuous pad over my eyebrows, that, even when it saturates with sweat, helps to channel excess sweat AROUND my eyes. The brow padding on this helmet has channels that help to FUNNEL sweat towards my eyes.

Thankfully, I wear glasses that fit snugly and keep most of the sweat from getting in my eyes. But I still get sweat running down over the lenses. When I'm completely saturated in sweat, I don't have a dry piece of cloth to clean my glasses with. Such a PITA.

I bought a Sweat Gutr yesterday in hopes of channeling excess sweat around my face, but it sure would be nice if something like this was actually built into the helmet.
    I suspect the Sweat Gutr and Sweat Buster are largely the same, but my Sweat Busters have not only taken care of my incredibly large amount of sweat, but have improved the fit of my Super 2R big time. I always keep a spare in my CamelBak in case I forget the other one.

EDIT: nope - totally different design.

mtbr member
    I use Halo headbands but they come in only one size and that size is a tad snug on my 7 5/8 noggin until I wear them a dozen times or so.

I use headbands for all kinds of exercise, sports and physical activities. So I don't really care how well a helmet can soak and channel sweat in and of itself; that's what a headband is for.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I use Halo headbands but they come in only one size and that size is a tad snug on my 7 5/8 noggin until I wear them a dozen times or so.

I use headbands for all kinds of exercise, sports and physical activities. So I don't really care how well a helmet can soak and channel sweat in and of itself; that's what a headband is for.
    Yeah, I don't. I generally run hot, so I try to avoid wearing anything on my head when I'm exercising that might contribute to keeping my head warmer. I have several Buffs that would soak up sweat well enough and I wouldn't have to buy anything new. Except for the fact that they'd add a bunch of fabric against my head and make me warmer. Not cool.

The Sweat Gutr shouldn't do that. It's also nonabsorbent, so I won't get the squishy sweat-soaked issues, either. My Super 2 fits pretty well as it is, so I also don't want to add something that might screw up that fit. It's not comfy to wear anything thicker than a single layer Buff underneath it in wintertime. I have to switch to a different helmet if I need something warmer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Does anyone know if there is a difference between the fit of the 2015 and 2016 model that is coming out? They are heavily discounting the 2015s online. I figure there must be a reason.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmitty View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a difference between the fit of the 2015 and 2016 model that is coming out? They are heavily discounting the 2015s online. I figure there must be a reason.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Yea- it's last years.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

cnk
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    So I just got my Super 2R delivered and like everyone else I had to remove the 2 plastic pieces as they were causing pressure points. I also removed the dense foam pads from the chin bar and the helmet fits great now.

Just one question. . .does anyone know what those 2 little black plastic pieces that come in the bag with the instruction manual are for? I looked over the helmet a few times and I just can't figure out what they're used for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Cover for the slots at the side of the helmet where the hooks of the chin bar attaches.

cnk
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dy3ecs View Post
    Cover for the slots at the side of the helmet where the hooks of the chin bar attaches.
    Ahh. . thanks. Didn't even think to look there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cnk View Post
    I also removed the dense foam pads from the chin bar and the helmet fits great now.
    Unless I'm misunderstanding what you did, you really don't want to remove those. The cheek pads are an integral part of making sure a full face helmet stays in place on your head during a frontal impact. Otherwise, the helmet just slides backwards and your face hits the inside of the chin bar instead. Try putting the helmet on and pushing on the chin bar to see if you can make it contact your chin/nose.

cnk
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Unless I'm misunderstanding what you did, you really don't want to remove those. The cheek pads are an integral part of making sure a full face helmet stays in place on your head during a frontal impact. Otherwise, the helmet just slides backwards and your face hits the inside of the chin bar instead. Try putting the helmet on and pushing on the chin bar to see if you can make it contact your chin/nose.
    There is a tag attached to the helmet instructing you to remove the dense pad. There is still another pad there to provide the proper support. I ride motorcycles as well so I know how a full face helmet should fit and feel when properly set up. There is no movement or slack for me with those pads removed, just a much better fit.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cnk View Post
    There is a tag attached to the helmet instructing you to remove the dense pad. There is still another pad there to provide the proper support. I ride motorcycles as well so I know how a full face helmet should fit and feel when properly set up. There is no movement or slack for me with those pads removed, just a much better fit.
    Shows how much I read instructions
    Sorry, didn't even know those were there! Glad you got the it sorted and hope you enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dy3ecs View Post
    which I absolutely never use when in open-face mode.

..and probably hardly anyone else does, either.

Kick Start My Heart
    Once I figured those out, I said 'why?'

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    my head its 56cm perimeter and medium its very good fit!
    my head its european

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What packs do you guys like for carrying the chin bar? Works well with my Camelbak Mule (foto below) but I'd like to get something with a back protector (EVOC, POC). Any suggestions? Looking for 12L give or take...

Rent this space for $
    I used my older Mule and now, my new MuleNV in the same way. My last 2 significant "get-offs" had me ejecting from the bike and landing squarely on my back (pack) in the rocky gnar. Both times the Camelbak saved my bacon from any injury. I have never considered additional back protection but I'm one of those in the "won't ride without wearing my pack" camp.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    As stated fits perfectly on the MULE NV.

mtbr member
    Any non pack wearers find a convenient way to carry the chin bar while climbing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rent this space for $
    Wear it?

I've worn mine on climbs on hot days and really haven't noticed a difference in air flow.

mtbr member
    Why have a helmet with a removable chin bar and not remove it.. ? Idk just my take on it. Just wanted to see what other people's solutions were.

Kick Start My Heart
    I hear you iheartfatties when I am in the long singletrack climb, some air across the face feels good, and my helmet has a difference bar on/bar off.
    I am wondering the same on the non-pack carrying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Only thing I can think of would be abit of rope and tie it up to your bars or frame??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iheartfatties View Post
    Why have a helmet with a removable chin bar and not remove it.. ? Idk just my take on it. Just wanted to see what other people's solutions were.
    I wear it without a chinbar for XC type trails.

I wear it on a 5" travel FS bike on rugged trails with a lot of rocks that could smash my face, or doing lift-serviced DH.

I have only attached my chinbar once while on the trail. It isn't worth it to me most days, but that day was 100 degrees and I rode most of the trail without, and put it on for a fast, rocky descent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I used my older Mule and now, my new MuleNV in the same way. My last 2 significant "get-offs" had me ejecting from the bike and landing squarely on my back (pack) in the rocky gnar. Both times the Camelbak saved my bacon from any injury. I have never considered additional back protection but I'm one of those in the "won't ride without wearing my pack" camp.
    Ya my Mule has saved me several times too, but the new models from EVOC, POC, and the new Camelbak KUDU all have rigid (or maybe near rigid?) back protectors, seems like a good 'why not' idea if you're already shopping for a new pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    What packs do you guys like for carrying the chin bar? Works well with my Camelbak Mule (foto below) but I'd like to get something with a back protector (EVOC, POC). Any suggestions? Looking for 12L give or take...

just put a back protector inside the water storage compartment. You can buy them separately from Evoc and Ergon for 30-35$

mtbr member
    just put a back protector inside the water storage compartment. You can buy them separately from Evoc and Ergon for 30-35$
    that's exactly what you do when you already have a big pack like a Mule NV.

if you have a small pack though, like a Charge LR or a Raptor 6, you have to buy a mid-size or larger pack and you might as well buy one with integrated protection. also I would note that sometimes POC, Evoc and Ergon are *far* cheaper when purchased from German online retailers such as bike24.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I compared a MIPS and non-MIPS version.

The black plastic pads didn't bother me.

The yellow MIPS retainers caused painful pressure points for me. Someone earlier said they fixed that with corn-pads. That looks like it would work, but I am going with the non-MIPS version as I don't feel like driving to the drug-store to buy the pads and then find out I am still not really happy with it. I know for sure that I am happy with the non-MIPS one right now.

If I was sure MIPS was safer, I may have tried harder to make it work.

mtbr member
    It looked like to me that in 2016 there might be only MIPS versions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Maybe for the 2R, but they have the Super 2 without MIPS:

http://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/helmets/dirt/super-2

And you can buy the chin bar, although possibly only in black.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Maybe for the 2R, but they have the Super 2 without MIPS:

http://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/helmets/dirt/super-2

And you can buy the chin bar, although possibly only in black.
    Chin bar will not fit the non-2R Super, FYI....there are differences in the vents where the chin bar mounts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Chinbar from my Super 2R does not work on my Super 2 as there are no slots for the angled clips that lock it to the helmet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have my Super 2 and I had a Super 2R MIPS that I just returned due to discomfort.

I took the chin bar off the Super 2R MIPS and installed it on my Super 2 without any problem.

I just ordered a black chin bar from Bell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My guess later model Super 2 helmets must have the ability to accept the chinbar. My 2014 model will not.

Rent this space for $
    The older original Supers were different. Once production of the 2R came on, I believe that's when the helmet itself saw some changes then they started selling it with or without the chinbar. I'd guess if it's a 2014 model and can't accept a chinbar, it's a very early production prior to them changing the vent positions and adding the additional infrastructure to accept the chinbar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Any great black friday deals on the 2016 models?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The older original Supers were different. Once production of the 2R came on, I believe that's when the helmet itself saw some changes then they started selling it with or without the chinbar. I'd guess if it's a 2014 model and can't accept a chinbar, it's a very early production prior to them changing the vent positions and adding the additional infrastructure to accept the chinbar.
    Boom! Great information. Learn something every day.

Norđwegr
    Could anyone compare the fit of the Super 2r to other (common) helmets?
    I'm tempted to buy one on sale, but I don't have the option to try before I buy.

I've tried on POC Trabec Race MIPS, Mavic Notch and the Fly Racing Freestone so if anyone happens to have tried one of those aswell, great

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm looking for a helmet as well and was really interested in the Super 2 MIPS. I found that I needed a large, where I needed a medium with the Spec Ambush. I also found that the position of the pads made a huge difference in the comfort of the helmet and that varied a lot helmet to helmet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'm hoping other manufacturers will announce similar convertible style helmets soon giving everyone's different shaped heads an opportunity. I like the idea of extra protection going downhill.

May contain nuts
    I'd like to get rid of the white skunk stripe on the Viper. Anyone painted a Super? An acrylic paint shouldn't affect shell integrity, after all the helmets are already painted...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastline View Post
    My guess later model Super 2 helmets must have the ability to accept the chinbar. My 2014 model will not.
    I just bought an accessory chin-bar from Bell, and it fit onto my Super2. I can't find any other image on the internet of a black chin-bar on a red Super2. I am very happy that I returned the MIPS Super2R. This non-MIPS version is dramatically more comfortable on my head.

May contain nuts
    Removed the additional hard black pads from my MIPS and now the fit and feel is the same as the non MIPS...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    It was the yellow MIPS retainers that pressed into my head. I think the corn pads had a chance to fix it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Has anyone experienced sizing inconsistency with Bell Super 2?

I bought an M size (55-59) from Germany and it was so tight I can swear its actually a small (I'm 57), even my wife found it tight. Had no option but to ship it back, a guy was interested in buying it off me and again it didn't fit him, and he was wearing small of other brands.

Today I went to a local bike shop and tried on both the MIPS and non-MIPS versions, size M FITS PERFECTLY, but the local shop is like 40% more expensive, now I am not sure if I should get an exchange from the same online shop, or just get a refund, frustrating to say the least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Removed the additional hard black pads from my MIPS and now the fit and feel is the same as the non MIPS...
    If this is why people are complaing about the fit of the MIPS? Why arent they removing these extra hard pads in side the cheek pads? When I first tried on my Super 2 MIPS I was dissipointed due to the pressure that the cheek pads put on my upper jaw. Then I noticed the little tag saying remove pads. It's a night and day comfortable fit once the extra pads are removed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    No. That is not what people are talking about.

Kick Start My Heart
    The pain pads are I think up by the temples, hard plastic. Don't remember, 'cuz I scrapped them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    One nice benefit of the black chin bar mixed with another helmet color is that you don't see the bright color of the helmet in your field of view.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If you remove the cheek pads, wouldn't that allow too much movement to the point of it being unsafe? I thought the cheek pads were suppose to push against the cheek.

On size, I had to order a Large on the 2016 Mips version. I'm usually a medium on other helmets, but the Super Medium was too tight of a fit. I plan on fitting in a sweatbuster anyways so it'll fill the gap nicely. Aside from the extra 1lb weight on my head as compared to my xc helmet and slightly less ventilation, the extra protection is a welcomed changed.

I have to really shorten the chin strap and there is a lot of excess strap hanging. How do you guys handle that? Do you cut and melt the ends like in the old days?

Rent this space for $
    Everybody's head and face and shaped differently. For some, the cheek pads may squish their face uncomfortably. That's why Bell set them up as they did so a layer can be removed to accommodate. They should be pressing firmly against your cheeks. With my Arai motorcycle helmets, I always fit them with pads that press my cheeks softly into my teeth but not so firm that you bite your inner cheek when you open and close your mouth.

I cut my excess strap but still left some excess length thinking if I farm the helmet off to someone else, it's still got some decent adjustment range in it.

mtbr member
    The chin bar still fits comfortablely firm without the extra hard cheek pads. If it didn't fit right/ snug I would have sent the helmet back. The pressure was unbearable with the pads in. I also installed a sweat buster. I cut out the bottom section of stock pads and it fits great. It adds a tighter fit to the helmet, but it works great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    It seems removing the 'pain' pad solved the problem for quite a few users here, but as a regular medium sized helmet user, I couldn't even fit into the Super 2 medium I got from Hibike, hence removing the pain pad might not help enough. Funny thing is a trip to local bike shop, all three medium Super 2 fit like gloves although I didn't pay attention to whether the pain pads were, I suppose there is no reason for a shop to remove the pads.

mtbr member
    That pain pad you are talking about, is the extra pad that looks glued in there and has a piece of felt on it?

mtbr member
    Here's a pic of the sweat buster installed with the front pad section cut out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-image.jpg  

Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Since I'm wearing a Large (normally a small) I didn't cut out the original pads. Instead I've added 3 velcro tabs on top of the existing pads and installed the sweatbuster on top of that. Now it fits me like a glove and is perfectly snug.

What lights are you guys mounting on top of your helmet? I'm looking for a small profile light for the gopro mount. I also plan on maybe the Sony AZ1 cam in the near future just for fun.

Kick Start My Heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    That pain pad you are talking about, is the extra pad that looks glued in there and has a piece of felt on it?
    See post# 175.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by davez26 View Post
    See post# 175.

Or post #1 when I created this thread!

mtbr member
    Or post #1 when I created this thread!
    I missed that last year. My heads skinny enough that it doesn't touch the pad, so that must be the reason why I never noticed it. Great helmet and I would buy another.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    FWIW the 2016 Super 2R MIPS still has the uncomfortable MIPS dots. I normally wear a Bell Stoker which fits like a glove. I received the 2R as a Christmas present this morning and was super stoked until I tried it on and those two dots created instant hotspots. Thanks to this thread I figured out what was causing the pain.

I removed the thin dense cheek pad but left the thicker but less dense foam pads in place and the cheek figment is now perfect. I'll try the "corn" pads over the MIPS buttons to see if that helps. Otherwise I love the helmet. The Aggressor Red/black looks killer!
    Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-20151225_103337-1.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anyone know where I can find a sizing chart for this helmet? I have a 23" head and can't decide on the med or large. The chart I found on Jenson's website seems to put me right in the middle of the two sizes. Does the Super R2 run big or small? I don't have the option of going to a LBS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I tried the Spec Ambush and found that I fit a medium fairly well, but with the Super 2 MIPS I needed the large so you might err to the large side. Others opinions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Size chart is everywhere.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/super-2

Looks like you could take a medium or a large as they overlap. If you will ride it in the winter with a hat under it, then maybe get a large. If you are getting the MIPS version, people say they are tighter, so another reason to get a large.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks guy I'm in a medium helmet now and found that kinda weird because I have a big gourd. Large it is I can always return it if it doesn't fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I usually wear a medium helmet but when I've tried the super 2r Mips int he store the medium was way too small. I had to go to a large which was too big but when I used the adjustable dial I was able to get a good fit with little to no movement. I installed the sweatbuster on top of the pads in the front and now it's perfect for me. I'd strongly suggest you go to a store and try it out or go get it from an online retailer with free returns like arts cyclery. those are good guys

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    I usually wear a medium helmet but when I've tried the super 2r Mips int he store the medium was way too small. I had to go to a large which was too big but when I used the adjustable dial I was able to get a good fit with little to no movement. I installed the sweatbuster on top of the pads in the front and now it's perfect for me. I'd strongly suggest you go to a store and try it out or go get it from an online retailer with free returns like arts cyclery. those are good guys
    The MIPS system takes up some additional room and makes the fit about a 1/2 size smaller.

mtbr member
    i had to go with the ambush. would need xl super that does not exist. bought one for the wife though. med was a touch too small. large seems almost too big but she loves it.

mtbr member
    My Med super MIPS fits my head the same as any other med helmet does. I wear a 7 1/4 hat.

I added the corn pads over the MIPS buttons and I don't feel them at all anymore. I rode for 17 miles yesterday and a quick couple hour ride today in total comfort. I don't feel the black pads above the ears that others have mentioned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Anyone know when the Star Wars Edition lids will be available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    Anyone know where I can find a sizing chart for this helmet? I have a 23" head and can't decide on the med or large. The chart I found on Jenson's website seems to put me right in the middle of the two sizes. Does the Super R2 run big or small? I don't have the option of going to a LBS.
    Definitely Medium for you. I have a 58 cm head, the Medium is snug but I still have room to tighten the retention system. Mine is MIPS. I tried both sizes at my LBS.

If it doesn't fit you, the shape of the helmet is wrong with you. With our head size the Large is too big.

Here is a picture of the corn pad installed in the helmet.
    Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-2015-12-28-10.02.01.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks Saul, I just placed the order for a medium hope it fits but if it doesnt i ordered from Arts Cyclery based on what Jacksonlui said about free returns. Thanks for the help guys. BTW Art's has 2 $25 coupons applied at check out on the helmet paid $175. for the 2016 model.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Ok guys got my Mips Super 2R yesterday and its petty sweet. I don't feel the Mips buttons without the face guard but I do with the guard on. I will have to try the corn pads. The helmet fits awesome with room to spare in the size medium with my 23" gourd. The face shield is snug against my pudgy cheeks even with the dense pads taken out but not uncomfortable. All and all I like it, the face shield will probably only get used 15-20% of my rides but will be happy to have it on the sketchy stuff.

Ok guys got my Mips Super 2R yesterday and its petty sweet. I don't feel the Mips buttons without the face guard but I do with the guard on. I will have to try the corn pads. The helmet fits awesome with room to spare in the size medium with my 23" gourd. The face shield is snug against my pudgy cheeks even with the dense pads taken out but not uncomfortable. All and all I like it, the face shield will probably only get used 15-20% of my rides but will be happy to have it on the sketchy stuff.
    Sweet!

Let us know if the corn pads help.

If the cheek pads are still too intrusive, you can use an Exacto Knife to slice thin layers off the other foam pad until you get the fit right. I haven't needed to do that but it's what I would do if needed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone mounting a gopro on top?
    I ride under low hanging oak trees a lot and i often bang the top of my head on them. I don't think a top mounted gopro mount would work
    Gopros can auto rotate 180deg only so mounting on the side of the helmet doesn't seem to cut it and the session is still 1.5 thick.
    What is everyone else doing?

Anyone mounting a gopro on top?
    I ride under low hanging oak trees a lot and i often bang the top of my head on them. I don't think a top mounted gopro mount would work
    Gopros can auto rotate 180deg only so mounting on the side of the helmet doesn't seem to cut it and the session is still 1.5 thick.
    What is everyone else doing?
    I didn't bother. The chest mount works well enough. I tent to spend too much time looking at side trail objects of interest anyway so a head mounted cam would take terrible footage.

BUT..... Be sure to tuck the extra long strap end out of the way before filming. I ruined quite a bit of footage because of the strap dangling right in front of the cam. The mud didn't help either but that's another issue.

Rent this space for $
    FYI, the camera mount has a break-away function in case it does get tagged but as mentioned, the helmet POV is tiresome, IMO. I go with a Chesty mount when I film...which isn't very often, anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yeah, The mount (without camera) snagged which snapped my head back. Good thing I had the break-away feature which worked!
    I went back to look for the piece that came off.

Good, green, Oregon.
    I have to agree with JCWages, and on most of my rides as well, the top of my 2R gets slapped with branches and would snag the top-mounted GoPro. I go with the chest mount as the better option on a trail like that. If it was in a wide-open area and no worry of trees, the helmet mount on the 2R offers an interesting perspective. But, I like seeing the hand and arm movements with the chesty. Boy, this example doesn't look the best for resolution (damn youtube!), but it gives you an idea of view.....and watch for the dumb strap! It will mess up a video and piss you off!
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I've also been told that because its a break away mount, its not very steady for filming anyways.

Chesty mount, and use the helmet mount as one for a torch if you feel the need to night ride

mtbr member
    Yeah, The mount (without camera) snagged which snapped my head back. Good thing I had the break-away feature which worked!
    I went back to look for the piece that came off.
    I've done that while descending and when you start getting yanked off your bike by your head, it's a natural reflex to grab on.. which in my case, meant grabbing a lot of brake and it was endo time. :/

However the chest mount does not work well if you change body position. So if you have it dialed in while you're in the saddle, when you climb or descend it tends to be pointing too high or too low. Helmet mounts are a lot more likely to stay on target.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    That's what I was thinking too about chest mount not being ideal. I was thinking of mounting it to the fork or headset but the bike will move a lot. The body would be the most steady as it has to go through so many pieces of suspension. I was thinking more side helmet mount.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Since we are talking about the camera mount... Does anyone know of a light that might fit the mount for night riding? It would be nice to have my light pop off if it caught something.

Rent this space for $
    Since we are talking about the camera mount... Does anyone know of a light that might fit the mount for night riding? It would be nice to have my light pop off if it caught something.

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ng-958312.html

Look up vancbiker here on the forum. There's a huge multi-page thread on the subject. He's been CNC'ing some really nice aluminum gopro style adaptors that fit the helmet. I got one of the first ABS units as well as an aluminum. I run it on a MagicShine clone. It's all I use my mount for, now.

As for chesty mount adjustment, the trick is set your GoPro in upside down mode and mount upside down so the pivot point is on the top. Then you tilt it up just a smidge to start. Mounting it this way gives you full view adjustment when your in the saddle or out on a tilted forward climb. Works perfect. Word of advice along the lines of the helmet velcro strap...pay attention to where your excess sternum strap or water hose from the camelbak are as they will creep in to view with a chesty mount.

Big Mac
    Has anybody mounted a light to this helmet? How does it work?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Mount the camera to the chin bar??

And TBH you set the camera up for thw downhills, who wants to re-watch that time you climbed for 45mins =P

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    I've also been told that because its a break away mount, its not very steady for filming anyways.

Chesty mount, and use the helmet mount as one for a torch if you feel the need to night ride
    No helmet mount is effective for video most of the time. But they are good for mixing into other cameras. The breakaway function does not make it less stable than any other helmet mount.

mtbr member
    Whats the difference in the 2015 and 2016?

blok51 com

Quote Originally Posted by SimonNI View Post

blok51 com
    Colors and Mips only I believe.

mtbr member
    Thanks

blok51 com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonNI View Post
    Some new colors. Cool limited editions, like Boba Fett. ($240 though.. )

The main difference though, is that in 2016 the Super 2R is only available in MIPS.

If you want a regular Super 2R like was available in late 2014 through now (as a 2015 model), either you buy the old stock while you can, or you buy a standard Super 2 ($135) and the chinbar ($79), which saves a paltry $15 over the Super 2R MIPS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    or you buy a standard Super 2 ($135) and the chinbar ($79), which saves a paltry $15 over the Super 2R MIPS.
    However you can get abit of a "custom" colour scheme happening =D

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My fit/use experience:

Coming from a medium Giro Hex that fit perfectly. I ordered medium super2r and super2 mips both steeply discounted. I found that for some reason the mips version just felt better all around so I kept it with the chinbar from the other helmet and will sell the super2 sans chinbar when I get around to it. I should note that although it fits comfortably, I can't fit it on with a sweat rag.

I have a big face and found the cheekpads tolerable only with the main foam removed and the firmer small inserts left in which still hug my face. Not ideal but hopefully still offering decent protection.

Fits well with my sunglasses (smith pivlock v90).

The chinbar sits well on the back of my camelback mule secured through the side compression straps.

Overall I like it very much-wore it recently on a four hour ride, but that was with temps in the 40s-50s. We'll see if it breathes well enough for regular summer riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Just ordered a Boba Fett ...no idea when it will ship. Was told they are sitting in a warehouse waiting for copyright issues to be resolved. You'd think those issues would have resolved BEFORE they announced them at Interbike.
    Niner ROS 9 - RDO | X01
    Trek District S w/Drop Bars

squish, squish in da fish
    lol that blows. lucas is probably crying cuz he's not getting enough royalties. i don't get companies that hype product for months then just make you wait for silly reasons. ugh hmmm (cough) evil bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Time to move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    lucas is probably crying cuz he's not getting enough royalties.
    This could be a US only issue. I see that at least one shop got some for Canadian Christmas: https://www.instagram.com/p/_SbQNFQG4C/
    Niner ROS 9 - RDO | X01

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I just ordered two of the Super 2 for my wife and I. Because I purchased both helmets in the Matte Mint, I'll need to order the chinbar separately, which I did for her.

The Matte Mint is less popular because of the perceived "girly" color, so I was able to get both helmets for under $70 shipped. Her's, being small, was only $58 shipped. Combine that with a $70 chinbar and we're out the door for $120 Super 2R. Mine with the chinbar will be $145 ($67 for my helmet and $75 for chinbar).

Now, some people have mentioned that on the Super 2 (no chinbar included) the "pain pads" at the temples are removed. Has anyone else encountered this?

If that's the case it would make returning one of these much easier in the event they don't fit, because I'll probably have to remove them on mine. I wear a Bell XLV which for a long time was one of the few helmets to fit up to 65cm dimension. More recently I tried on a Stoker in Sz Large and XL and found the large to be big enough, which lead me to the Super, which I've tried on in stores and found fit.

I'll wear it around the house and if its uncomfortable I'll probably go for the new Stoker instead.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

May contain nuts
    The helmet loosens up with a bit of wearing so don't throw the pain pads away.,, (it's just a self adhesive rubber pad which comes off cleanly).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    The helmet loosens up with a bit of wearing so don't throw the pain pads away.,, (it's just a self adhesive rubber pad which comes off cleanly).
    same here. I actually reapplied the pads a few months after purchase and they improved the fit!

Rent this space for $
    Ha! Being the OP and OC (original complainer), I should try this and see how it feels! I still have mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks like the Star Wars editions finally came to the States...

Here's the cheapest I found: Bell Super 2R MIPS MTB Helmet (Boba Fett) (M) [7067810] | Protection - AMain Performance Cycling - AMain Performance Cycling

I've never ordered from here... It's just what I found so far...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Bell still says they're "out of stock": http://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/h...imited-edition

I ordered mine a month and a half ago …still waiting.
    Niner ROS 9 - RDO | X01

Kick Start My Heart
    Quote Originally Posted by browserbully View Post
    Bell still says they're "out of stock": http://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/h...imited-edition

I ordered mine a month and a half ago …still waiting.
    That's a bummer.
    -I received an email yesterday that these are now available?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Soo, I've been riding the Bell Super 2R since early February this year. Previous helmet was the original Bell Super, without the chinguard. Love the helmet. Unfortunately, I've had the opportunity to crash test it 3 times in the last 2 months. The first time, went OTB, back first perpendicular to a tree at about 20mph (that was scary, thought I'd really messed my back up). Helmet cracked above the right eye and on the chinbar and i had a mild concussion. Ordered a new one. Fast forward 4 weeks, case a jump on my hardtail, go OTB into some soft-ish dirt headfirst, helmet again cracks above the right eye. Ordered another shell. Yesterday, lowsided on a berm, landed on my shoulder and hip mostly, and for the third time, the helmet cracked above the right eye after what I feel was a relatively light impact. I understand helmets are supposed to crack on impact, and I should probably stop crashing (I went almost a year without any serious crashes before this). But it's a little disconcerting all 3 have cracked in almost the exact same spot. I'm wondering if any else has 'tested' theirs and where it has cracked?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    What goes up must come down.

2015 YT Capra AL2
    2014 Chromag Aperture
    2008 Pinarello FP2

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I would be interested in what Bell's response would be. However it seems to be dissipating energy by cracking just not sure if that was by design or not. Wonder if w/o the chinbar if it would have still cracked. The good news appears the helmet has kept you from serious head or face trauma. At your crash rate you should try several brands so we can hear how they compare..... Glad you are ok after all that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm gonna send them an email tomorrow, I'll post up with their response. I should have mentioned, the second crash I was not wearing a chinbar. And don't get me wrong, I'm more then pleased with the relative lack of injury, but I'm just curious to see if anyone has had a like experience

2015 YT Capra AL2
    2014 Chromag Aperture
    2008 Pinarello FP2

Rent this space for $
    Perhaps it's time to take up knitting....or maybe quilting.

mtbr member
    definitely interested in what Bell responds.

Rent this space for $
    bbeltramo, did you utilize Bell's Crash Replacement program for any of the helmets? They have one if you read the fine print.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    bbeltramo, did you utilize Bell's Crash Replacement program for any of the helmets? They have one if you read the fine print.
    Luckily I have a pretty good pro deal, so I haven't utilized the crash replacement program. Although at the rate I'm buying helmets they probably think I'm selling them on the side...

2015 YT Capra AL2
    2014 Chromag Aperture
    2008 Pinarello FP2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You should avoid skydiving my friend.

Good to hear that it held up... repeatedly. After a recent run-in with the ground, my son now wishes to have a full-face helmet. He tried on a Super 2R MIPS in a small and it fit him perfect. I don't expect any crashes even on the order of what you're talking about, he's not that big or that fast. The fact that I take take the chin bar off is just a bonus.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Boba Fett

Started rocking the Boba Fett this week. I'm really impressed at how quickly I've learned how to take the chinbar on/off. This is my first full face helmet and I got used to it in one ride. My Bern helmet has been relegated to commuter duty.

Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-13076763_524686821037054_4741903448968804001_n.jpg
    Niner ROS 9 - RDO | X01

More Human Than Human
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeltramo View Post
    I'm gonna send them an email tomorrow, I'll post up with their response. I should have mentioned, the second crash I was not wearing a chinbar. And don't get me wrong, I'm more then pleased with the relative lack of injury, but I'm just curious to see if anyone has had a like experience

Hello bbeltramo, I have not crashed bad enough to crack my helmet but from what you described I may have found the potential culprit. All owners should check the condition of the right chin guard rivet. In my case it is in an advanced stage of oxidation. This is due to saturated sweat and capillary effect on the chin strap coming up to that specific chinbar rivet. It does not happen on the left side since the capillary effect is "stopped" by a patch of fabric (with the logo "S2"). If the rivet has oxidation, even if superficial, it will weaken rivet when stressed. I reported this design oversight to Bell and they have sent a replacement chinbar but with the same design defect. I will cover mine with silicone or simple electrical tape in order to prevent premature oxidation to that important rivet.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
    -Confucius

mtbr member

Made the white line a bit less boring.

Archival ink pens. Holding up great.
    Bell Super 2R. It's Official!-img_6497.jpgBell Super 2R. It's Official!-img_6499.jpg

Rent this space for $
    ^^Very cool!

Regarding the rivet oxidation. Thanks for that tidbit. I have 2, 2R's and will be inspecting both carefully. I always wear a SweatVac cap under my helmet and that really controls head sweat so I suspect I'm okay...but I'm checking closely.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13076763_524686821037054_4741903448968804001_n.jpg 
Views:	1668 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	1068023[/QUOTE]

=-) rad.

mtbr member
    For sweat, I highly recommend this: Extreme Sweat Control in Humid Conditions | SweatHawg

Takes in an enormous amount of sweat. No drips, and when it gets full –*it’s easy to squeeze it and its ready to go again. I got a couple so I have an extra one in between washes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I've been rocking the Super2R for about 5 months. I put it in my pack going up and put the chinbar on going down. I've yet to be in a situation where the chinbar saved me but I'd like to be safe than sorry. I use to wear an XC helmet and an OTB incident left me with some cheek bruising and a busted pair of high end sunglasses. If I had the chinbar it would've saved a lot of money. I love the concept, I don't know why other companies like TLD aren't doing this. I'm very conscious of weight and the Super 2R is super heavy at about 700gs, that's the weight of 2 helmets, but I don't mind it if it saves me at least once. It's the best solution out there right now. Hoping for a lighter and better ventilated version next season.
    Every now and then I have the itch to pick up an A1 helmet which is lighter, better ventilated, and a better fit, but the chinbar really does make a lot of sense if you're going fast down rocky sections.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The Super 2R MIPS from Bikebling showed up last week! Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, this one is for the kiddo. After being attacked by a concrete drainage culvert recently, selling him on a full face helmet was easy. I think he may have asked. This thing is awesome, he loves it. We haven't been able to do any trail rides yet with the whether, but he likes it enough that yesterday he asked if he could wear it to go check the mail. lol The only downside to the Super 2R and similar helmets with a chin is the sizing. XL is hard to come by. The Super 2 isn't even made in an XL/XXL.

For the 6 year old, the XS was a good fit. The adjustments are all easy to set up even for his little noggin'. The only issue we had was in the back where the cage/harness whatever was coming down too far, but fortunately that was adjustable as well. It's too bad that it's as expensive as it is, but I appreciate the fact that it's still pretty well padded where it needs to be is easy for a 6 year old to manage. He does not appear to have any trouble with the weight. At this point. We'll have to see how his neck feels after a hard trail ride, which should be coming up as soon as the weather clears long enough to make that happen.

mtbr member
    I was doing a technical descent when my bar flipped back. Looks like I had neglected to tighten the stem faceplate bolts properly and inspect them later.

Due to the bars flipping back and grippy gloves that wouldn't let me correct my hand position, I couldn't support my weight and collapsed over the stem. And thanks to now having brake levers positioned up, my hands were trapped. So I went over the bar and landed face first on a large rock further downhill.

The blow was hard enough to make me see a bright flash and imprint the inside texture of the helmet to my forehead, but I never lost consciousness or memory. I went to a doctor to get examined and seems that I only got superficial injuries.

Super 2R MIPS 2015: 5/5 would crash again.
    And I have no doubts as to whether the chin guard works. It does.

May contain nuts
    Good to hear you didn't get hurt - interesting method of crashing, haven't heard that one before.
    Speaking of head knocks, I was amazed that George Brannigan walked away from that OTB slam at Fort William in the weekend. His head got bounced so hard. Most bike helmets don't allow for much in the way of de-acceleration...

mtbr member
    Wow, Saul, that is quite a scary accident.

I am glad to hear that your Super2R MIPS protected you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hey guys! Read all the previous pages here need some help. My heads 59cm (23.22inches) and I'm from South Africa. Bell doesn't bring the Super 2r mips here at all so need to order online. Medium (55-59cm) or large (58-62cm). Don't ware anything under my current helmet, hot here in summer and cold but not freezing in winter. Don't mind putting extra padding into the Large just if the medium would fit that would be great I suppose. Usually like a helmet to look as small as possible and not mushroom like.

Anyway thanks in advance for all the info!

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanGrey View Post
    Hey guys! Read all the previous pages here need some help. My heads 59cm (23.22inches) and I'm from South Africa. Bell doesn't bring the Super 2r mips here at all so need to order online. Medium (55-59cm) or large (58-62cm). Don't ware anything under my current helmet, hot here in summer and cold but not freezing in winter. Don't mind putting extra padding into the Large just if the medium would fit that would be great I suppose. Usually like a helmet to look as small as possible and not mushroom like.

Anyway thanks in advance for all the info!
    I think you'll want to do your homework on this. You sound like you fit the Super2 just like I do. The Medium fits me most comfortably and I am at or near the max limits of it's sizing. I can wear a Large and with the adjuster brought in, it fits well but the volume of the large is a bit bigger so it sits differently on my head and not in a way that I like. Mine does NOT have the MIPS feature. I do have a brand new Smith Overtake that I wear on the road rides and it does have MIPS and I discovered that MIPS does have an effect on fit since it's placed between your head and the EPS liner of whatever size you desire. It takes up a bit of space so it would decrease your leeway on fit if you're right up at the edge of fitting a specific size, which you are.

Have you been able to wear a non-MIPS 2R in Medium or are you going off of size specifications? If you have a little bit of play in a non-MIPS 2R, you might be okay. If your at the limits with no leeway in adjustment, I think that might force you up to the next size with the larger shell.

May contain nuts
    59cm here and the medium MIPS fits perfectly, with room to spare. The large is vast...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I think you'll want to do your homework on this. You sound like you fit the Super2 just like I do. The Medium fits me most comfortably and I am at or near the max limits of it's sizing. I can wear a Large and with the adjuster brought in, it fits well but the volume of the large is a bit bigger so it sits differently on my head and not in a way that I like. Mine does NOT have the MIPS feature. I do have a brand new Smith Overtake that I wear on the road rides and it does have MIPS and I discovered that MIPS does have an effect on fit since it's placed between your head and the EPS liner of whatever size you desire. It takes up a bit of space so it would decrease your leeway on fit if you're right up at the edge of fitting a specific size, which you are.

Have you been able to wear a non-MIPS 2R in Medium or are you going off of size specifications? If you have a little bit of play in a non-MIPS 2R, you might be okay. If your at the limits with no leeway in adjustment, I think that might force you up to the next size with the larger shell.
    Yea my worry was the Medium would fit and the Large would but having more space inside and being bigger. Just going off Size and research online (reviews, comments on AmazonUK, forums) I know helmets fit some not others just sucks I cant try this one on and it's exactly what I'm looking for. Cant even find a super, super 2 nothing here. Tried on a medium bell stocker and felt like a pot and for interest sake tried on a Giro Feature and it was too narrow. No mips in either not that trying the Giro would give me any size indication to compare to. Thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    haha yea it's the vast that I'd like to avoid at all costs. Not that looks are the most important when it comes to helmets just not keen on the top heavy look. Can you get a few rotations out of the adjustment dial?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

We the people ...

I wrecked in my Super 2R yesterday. Wasn't a hard hit, but I did have something really troubling/scary happen. Half shell mode...did not have the chin bar on.

Steep slope, went OTB. Hit on my shoulder/side and rolled. Basically as soon as my head came down and hit the slope, it rotated my Super 2R toward my back, exposing my forehead/front of my head. I bruised my forehead, I remember it really clearly, it wasn't an abrupt hit, but definitely rock against head. It's sore to the touch today.

The helmet is a great fit on me (so I thought!). I got up and checked it right away, it was tight and still had some adjustment room left. I have actually known about this for some time, but never did anything about it. When riding, trees and stuff will sometimes grab it and rotate it back. It's happened before just never in a wreck.

Scary scary stuff. I'm going to try on some new helmets this week just to see if it happens with em all or not. What's your experience? If you tighten your lid down and try to rotate it backwards on your head...does it? Seems like a challenging engineering feat to not let it do that. Hadn't before considered the implications. Idiot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ive hit a low hanging branch more than once where it snapped my head back but the helmet never shifted. Maybe its not tight enough.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Bike helmet standards (except for SNELL) are designed to protect from an initial hit, not a secondary. Arguably you want the helmet to rotate rather than snapping your head back and having your brain slosh around inside your skull. That said, no it should not be easy to push it backwards to expose your forehead but this should be the result of the forward straps being properly positioned on the sides. Too often people don't bother to adjust these correctly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    I wrecked in my Super 2R yesterday. Wasn't a hard hit, but I did have something really troubling/scary happen. Half shell mode...did not have the chin bar on.

Steep slope, went OTB. Hit on my shoulder/side and rolled. Basically as soon as my head came down and hit the slope, it rotated my Super 2R toward my back, exposing my forehead/front of my head. I bruised my forehead, I remember it really clearly, it wasn't an abrupt hit, but definitely rock against head. It's sore to the touch today.

The helmet is a great fit on me (so I thought!). I got up and checked it right away, it was tight and still had some adjustment room left. I have actually known about this for some time, but never did anything about it. When riding, trees and stuff will sometimes grab it and rotate it back. It's happened before just never in a wreck.

Scary scary stuff. I'm going to try on some new helmets this week just to see if it happens with em all or not. What's your experience? If you tighten your lid down and try to rotate it backwards on your head...does it? Seems like a challenging engineering feat to not let it do that. Hadn't before considered the implications. Idiot.
    Heavy days, sorry to hear that, sucks! Good thing you're ok! Put on my bell after reading and the chin straps have to be right under your chin (not hanging) for the helmet to stay put but it is still possible to slip it back quite a bit. Then I tried on my old XC Specialized helmet and it's identical. If the straps are slightly too loose you can also slip it further back. Only way to get around it slipping too much is to wear the chinbar. Think most helmets will as someone said above save you from a big knock but move around (back) considerably after that first hit, depending on how tight the chin straps are. Must admit I wear mine looser than I should as i hate the feeling of the straps tight around my neck. Will be adjusting them after reading this tho for sure. The helmet fits me great so I wont be changing much for a while but if the fit is not the same on you perhaps look around. I think you will find most do move back unfortunately a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    @SeanGrey thanks for trying it. I also fiddled with my straps a bit. Definitely helps. Good advice Desertride.

mtbr member
    Looks like the 3R will be released in October 2016. Does anyone know if the fit has changed? Unfortunately like so many others the 2R hugs my upper cranium too much but I love the concept.

Rent this space for $
    I read something about the area near the temples were to be changed in how they fit. That was never an issue on ANY of the Supers for me so it will be interesting to see how it comes out. Having 2 Super 2R's and the original Super, I won't be in the market for quite some time unless they came up with some "panty dropping - must have" color or feature. The Stars Wars collection crap was a guarantee that my 2R's would remain in service in my inventory!

mtbr member
    yes fit has been changed with Super 3R

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Welp, I just had a major lawn dart crash on my super 2R. I walked away but my neck is very sore. I heard lots of crunching as I was pile driving the dirt, so I think the foam in the helmet is toast, even though it visually looks ok. Chin bar didn't come into play here, but the helmet stayed in place just fine.

Bell offers the crash replacement discount which I could use on the Super 3R OR i could pick up just a replacement Super 2R lid (no chin bar) from REI for $115 on close out. Has anyone tried a Super 3R? I don't have any major fit issues with my 2R, but I don't think its that comfortable after wearing it (especially in full face mode) for 4+ hours.

That was one of the hardest crashes I have ever had. Pretty happy to just have a sore neck.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a 2r MIPS with chin bar for 109$

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 702Biff View Post
    That's a screaming deal. Cheapest I could find was $160. I ended up going with a 3R under Bells crash replacement program. I'll report back with my findings once I try it on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Best deal on a 2R is probably from STP with a 25% off coupon.

Bell Super average savings of 40% at Sierra Trading Post

squish, squish in da fish
    where?

Rent this space for $
    Yeah...that's a killer deal. I'd replace my 2 perfectly good ones for a MIPs version that cheap if its not a lame Star Wars version.

mtbr member
    It's red & black. Got it from BikeBling

mtbr member
    Does anybody know if the 2R chinbar will fit a 3R helmet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mpress View Post
    Does anybody know if the 2R chinbar will fit a 3R helmet?
    I read one review that says that they are compatible but I would double check with Bell before pulling the trigger.

I thought about doing that myself but the colors would have clashed

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I need to buy more of the GoPro-mounts. The top plastic part that attaches to the camera and breaks away. I broke one, and I'd like a couple spare ones so I can more easily switch between cameras and lights etc. Anyone know where to get this part, preferrably an online shop? Bell Intl support just referenced me to the company importing them here (Norway), and they claim to not carry this spare part.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just got my Super 3R in the mail this weekend. They have changed the adjuster knob to a much better design. It stands out from your head so you can easily grip it and the top and bottom of the knob are exposed which makes it much easier to adjust when your hands are sweaty. The chin bar appears identical to the 2R. I was disappointed to see they did not address rusty rivet issue, but I devised a solution for the 2R (liquid electrical tape to seal it) and I simply re-used it on the 3R.

I haven't had it out on a full ride, but my initial impressions are that Bell have definitely altered the fit. The foam around the temples in the 2R Mips is no longer present and my first impression when putting the new helmet on is that contact/pressure around my head is more even. Hopefully the rain will let up and I'll get it out on the trail tomorrow for a real test.

All in all, just a few minor improvements, but probably not worth buying the full price 3R instead of some of the blow priced 2Rs people are posting. My only issue with the 2R was that it would start to be a bit irritating on 4+ hour rides. If the 3R doesn't have this issue, then it may be worth the money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast