Bell MIPS- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bell MIPS

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Bell MIPS

Hey I was just wondering if people have any thoughts on a Bell helmet with MIPS. Is that helmet really safer, or is it just a gimmick?

I'm currently sitting at home nursing a concussion(dirt bike) and now needing a new helmet to wear while riding my dirt bike, since that one broke on impact. It got me thinking about my helmet for mounting biking. I've taken enough spills to where it's time to replace that one too. Just wanting any opinions on the Bell MIPS

Thank!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    MIPS isn't the only way to make a better helmet, but it's one competing way to do so. There are others, too. But it's not mutually exclusive of other designs, either.

How effective is it? It's hard to say. I only know one guy who has smashed a MIPS helmet (a Scott, fwiw). He did escape without a concussion, for what that's worth. Did the MIPS liner prevent that concussion? Impossible to say.

I have a Bell Super 2 MIPS and a Giro Xar without it. I use the Xar while commuting and in colder winter temps when I want to wear something warmer on my head than will fit under the Super 2. For any future helmet I buy, I will definitely only be considering helmets that utilize technology that makes an effort to make a safer helmet. I don't intend to be a first adopter of a new tech, to be sure that it doesn't go backwards on that effort.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ok, thanks for the input. I wasn't aware anybody else made a MIPS helmet. It was just something I came across while looking at helmets today. I couldn't really any real life reviews them so I thought I would come here and see If anyone had some input.

Cholla magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by splangeland View Post
    Ok, thanks for the input. I wasn't aware anybody else made a MIPS helmet. It was just something I came across while looking at helmets today. I couldn't really any real life reviews them so I thought I would come here and see If anyone had some input.

POC also makes a MIPS version of their Trabec helmet. The one warnign I'll give is that the MIPS Bell Super has a different fit than the non-MIPS version. It's more narrow on the sides and didn't fit my head at all.

Biking Like Crazy!
    cmonk is correct about the Bell Super2R MIPS fitting differently than the non-MIPS version, though I thought the MIPS version was as little big for me where the non- MIPS fit better with the chin bar off.
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO Pushed Version!
    2015 Ibis HD3 w/ Push ASC3
    2014 Knolly Podium

Ride Everything
    I'm currently reviewing two Bell MIPS helmets (Gage, Stoker). The fit is good, and I don't notice any interference from the MIPS layer. I suffered a concussion last year, so I'm hoping that I won't have an opportunity to test the MIPS technology first-hand anytime soon.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Nor­wegr
    Surely it can't hurt to have a MIPS layer in your helmet, the research on it must be based on something or it wouldn't have catched on. I've had the trabec race mips and now have a super 2r with mips, haven't crashed in either luckily so wether or not it would have helped I wouldn't know. The price difference is small enough to warrant the extra protection to me though.

I Love my Rize

I believe it makes a difference

Crashed hard this fall doing downhill....broke my hand and crushed the top right of the helmet did not even ring my bell. Head fine, hand not so much. Was wearing the Bell super 2r mips.......I'm a believer. Bought a new one that same night.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Glad to hear you were ok! Thanks for all the input, I'm thinking I'll be getting a helmet with MIPS

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I swear crashes are all about luck. You could not wear a helmet and bump your head and be ok... but in a slightly different crash you could be wearing a full face and KO yourself.
    Still, if i'm going to be crashing i'd rather try it with the best protection I could afford.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    I swear crashes are all about luck.
    I believe that to a large degree you make your own luck, and there's no denying that a good helmet can greatly improve your odds of remaining conscious & cogent after thumping your noggin.

Then again there may be something to the theory that professional football players would get less head injuries if they didn't wear helmets at all, avoiding bashing your skull in the first place is the best protection.

I like MIPS :]