Baseball/Softball gloves (waaay OT)- Mtbr.com
    bob
    mtbr member

Baseball/Softball gloves (waaay OT)

Sorry for the post here but I don't know where else to get an unbiased opinion. My sons are just starting pee wee baseball and of course I bought them gloves (it's FL, we start early). I wanted one for myself so we could all throw the ball around together. It's a tradition right?

The problem is my hand will only fit into a 13" glove. A friend of mine says that's a soft ball glove and I should find a 12" that'll fit me as the inside will stretch some. He says the pocket of a baseball glove and a softball glove are different. So, I appeal to the baseball and softball players of Passion...what do you think?

Jed Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    ...what do you think?
    You're f'ing kidding me, right bob?

Holy crap.

rack admirer

Poser - new glove geek adults

Hey Cal Ripken

I see alot of new glove geek adults in early little league. You don't ever need a glove. Let THEM catch. They cannot throw hard enough to hurt you.

Play in an over the hill league if you still seek fame

It's about showing up.

Geer Geek? In Baseball?

I'm just ribbing you but, jeez, go down to Goodwill and buy a used glove that fits your hand and start playing catch already. Nothing is cooler than showing up with The Old Rag.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

it really doesn't matter

if the glove fits, use it.

while there are subtle differences in the pocket designs between baseball and softball, it isn't going to affect much at your level of play. While a softball glove may not satisfy the rules of baseball if you were to use it in an actual sanctioned game or something, there's nothing wrong with it.

Besides, the pockets of a catcher's mitt or a first baseman's mitt certainly are different than any other mitt yet they are involved in almost every pitch and they seem to work just fine!

Use it, play with the kids, enjoy it. Not much more thought needs to go into it than that!

YR

And the suggestion to go to Goodwill or a second hand sporting goods store is good too since the leather will already be nice and soft

bob
    mtbr member

Thanks Yeti and more

The gloves I'm considering are all used (play-it-again-sports). I just want to make sure I'm not buying the wrong thing by going with the larger glove. Thanks Yeti for clearing that up for me.

I hope judging people by the equipment they use does not run rampant in youth baseball. So I'm a geek or a poser if I buy a new glove? As for playing in an "over the hill league" I already play in an O.T.H. Lacrosse league where we don't care about what equipment people use, we just come to play and have fun.