• 04-13-2010
    jahkneefive
    Bald Guys: Sweat and Helmets
    What are you guys doing about sweat dripping down your face? Here in FL it gets damn hot and even with the "sponge/padding" on my giro I end up with sweat beading down my face from my head. Back in my hair days my hair would absorb most of it... but my shiny ass dome is like a water slide.
  • 04-13-2010
    disfocus
    You could try something like this
  • 04-13-2010
    Tom93R1
    I have that Halo and would recommend it
  • 04-13-2010
    lumber825
    I picked up a Halo a few weeks ago after hearing about it. Only used it once and not really hot but it was nice.
  • 04-13-2010
    kalbo
    folded bandana or those tennis sweat bands that looks like bandanas.
  • 04-13-2010
    Bikinfoolferlife
    I have a relatively sweaty head and find the Headsweats work well plus prevent vent-shaped sunburns on the ol' pate. In hotter weather I like the cotton ones over the coolmax versions, but I don't ride in very hot or humid weather often, either. Don't know if they're up to a sweaty head plus Florida heat/humidity...
  • 04-13-2010
    4slomo
    I wear a HeadSweats headband, and it keeps my riding glasses from getting sweat-dripped. It also partially "seals" at my helmet rim and improves ventilation through the helmet vents.
  • 04-13-2010
    fred-da-trog
    Halo. The tie-yourself-headband version because I have a big head and like the feel of wind on my nekked skin. Was that too much info?
  • 04-13-2010
    rocks'r'friends
    Halo. On long hot rides I bring a second and switch half way through.
  • 04-13-2010
    kntr
    Halo. Then I rinse it with cold water at creek crossings and put it back on.
  • 04-13-2010
    wi1trackrider
    Another vote a Halo here. I picked up a beanie skull cap last year after getting an annoying helmet vent sunburn on the dome. I'm not a chrome dome yet (give me about 15 more years), but every year that goes by I have less hair to cut. The Halo does a good job of keeping sweat out of my eyes/behind the sunglasses - much better than standard helmet liner pads. I actually remove my helmet liner pads when wearing the Halo, as the instructions recommend, as the Halo increases your head size, making it somewhat to jam into a helmet if you had Halo and pads on. It takes about one ride to get used to the Halo. After that it's just another piece of attire to put on. It's nice in the fall/winter/spring as well for some extra warmth. I found it to be good down to about 40 degrees. After that I need something to cover the ears too.
  • 04-13-2010
    womble
    Get one of these- they work better than Halos as they don't store up water in fabric

www.sweatgutr.com
  • 04-13-2010
    Dion
    I wrap my head with a variety of things - cycling hat, Halo, Under Armor head thing, and even a regular ol' bandana. I ride the trails nearly everyday, so I sweat through all this stuff pretty quickly.
  • 04-13-2010
    Eddie Mudster
    I use a Buff Headwear, the original style tied like a bandana. You can get them printed with about a 100 different designs.
  • 04-14-2010
    jimbowho
    Good for a laugh at least???

Light days panty liners! They have a glue strip made to stick to cloth. During summer Offroad Desert races I have tried this with success. Stick to inside of helmet! (Don't stick to forehead) you may forget and walk into the pub with a pad stuck to your face.

The boys & I have had lots of drunkin after race laughs. I think they have some that have a babbling brook scent???
  • 04-14-2010
    Ericmopar
    Halo.

I like the bandanna style.
    The only time it gets overtaken by sweat, is when it's over 100F, when I'm riding during the Mojave summers.
  • 04-14-2010
    teelow
    Another vote for the Halo. I sweat like crazy and it's the best thing I've found to keep it out of my eyes.
  • 04-14-2010
    trained_monkey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Mudster
    I use a Buff Headwear, the original style tied like a bandana. You can get them printed with about a 100 different designs.

+1. Keeps the sweat out of your eyes and protects the back of your neck from the sun. In winter you can pull it down lower to cover and warm your ears.
  • 04-15-2010
    DanD
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbowho
    Good for a laugh at least???

Light days panty liners! They have a glue strip made to stick to cloth. During summer Offroad Desert races I have tried this with success. Stick to inside of helmet! (Don't stick to forehead) you may forget and walk into the pub with a pad stuck to your face.

The boys & I have had lots of drunkin after race laughs. I think they have some that have a babbling brook scent???

I may be a bald 24 year old, but at least I have my dignity
  • 04-15-2010
    mtbGreg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jahkneefive
    What are you guys doing about sweat dripping down your face? Here in FL it gets damn hot and even with the "sponge/padding" on my giro I end up with sweat beading down my face from my head. Back in my hair days my hair would absorb most of it... but my shiny ass dome is like a water slide.

Wear a sweat wicking headband.
  • 04-15-2010
    [email protected]
    Quote:

Originally Posted by womble
    Get one of these- they work better than Halos as they don't store up water in fabric

www.sweatgutr.com

I am going to try that. I quickly over saturate every kind of headband I have tried.
  • 04-15-2010
    DeeEight
    Another vote for Buffs. They make a coolmax fabric version too now... wicks moisture faster.
  • 04-15-2010
    jahkneefive
    I might try the gutr, wont keep the sweat from dripping, but will atleast direct it around my eyes. I like the halos but bandanas make me look like a moron. I was thinking about cutting a towel into strips and velcroing that along the entire front half of the helmet.
  • 04-15-2010
    Twenty Times
    :thumbsup: Halo.

My eyes would sting on a ride and nothing helped. Halo headbands helped a lot!
  • 04-15-2010
    GFAthens
    Simple Bandana
  • 04-15-2010
    motovita
    Hair transplant?
  • 04-15-2010
    DanD
    I don't do anything to help with the sweat. I wear a fox flux helmet and optic nerve sunglasses, in combination they seem to route the sweat coming from the helmet onto the glasses frames and off with very little getting on the lenses and none getting in my eyes. I'll admit, most of my sweat comes from my arms not my noggin. Also, I wring the helmet pads out anytime I stop by looking straight down and pressing the helmet against the forehead, everything seems to be working so far. I have a minimal amount of hair to absorb still, but it shouldn't be a factor by the time I turn 25 at the end of the year.
  • 04-15-2010
    Schlitz Domino
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanD
    I don't do anything to help with the sweat. I wear a fox flux helmet and optic nerve sunglasses, in combination they seem to route the sweat coming from the helmet onto the glasses frames and off with very little getting on the lenses and none getting in my eyes. I'll admit, most of my sweat comes from my arms not my noggin. Also, I wring the helmet pads out anytime I stop by looking straight down and pressing the helmet against the forehead, everything seems to be working so far. I have a minimal amount of hair to absorb still, but it shouldn't be a factor by the time I turn 25 at the end of the year.

Weird, my flux seems to channel the sweat right onto my lenses. In the summer I just give up and take off the helmet and shades on long climbs.
  • 04-15-2010
    ilostmypassword
    gotta hate sweaty helmets.
  • 04-16-2010
    LaLD
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rocks'r'friends
    Halo. On long hot rides I bring a second and switch half way through.

Same here :thumbsup:
  • 04-16-2010
    max_29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jahkneefive

i removed all those useless paddings from all my helmets and using a headband instead.
    you can't go wrong with Halo, but recently i tried Nike and very satisfied with it. i'd recommend getting a color white to mask all the salt you'll be sweating.

http://www.sportinglife.ca/sportingl...58&categoryId=
  • 04-16-2010
    High Side
    The Gutr looks intriguing. I cant imagine its very comfortable.
  • 04-16-2010
    sean salach
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GFAthens
    Simple Bandana

+1. When I lived in a warmer climate these worked really well for me on sweaty days. Cheap, durable, simple.
  • 04-16-2010
    Ken2
    Probs w/Sweat Gut'r
    Quote:

Originally Posted by High Side
    The Gutr looks intriguing. I cant imagine its very comfortable.

The 2 problems I have that make the Sweat Gut'r less than ideal:
    1) the rubber irritates my skin after awhile
    2) it's great when you're riding... but stop and look down at your computer, and suddenly you have sweat dumped all over it!
  • 04-16-2010
    dysfunction
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken2
    The 2 problems I have that make the Sweat Gut'r less than ideal:
    1) the rubber irritates my skin after awhile
    2) it's great when you're riding... but stop and look down at your computer, and suddenly you have sweat dumped all over it!

3) when you hit a jump, it dumps.