Bake Sale For Body Armor- Mtbr.com

Dec 2005

Bake Sale For Body Armor

No this isn't some bloggers joke. It has been checked out on Snopes and it is from the AP.
    Time to buy some brownies boys and girls. Can't fathom what they are spending another seventy billion on over there. I won't waste your time with the list of forty "comfort items" needed my son sent me last week. He deploys to Iraq in May or June.

Soldier's wife holds fundraisers for body armor for troops
    Family members take protection of loved ones into their own hands
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Saturday, February 11, 2006
    FORT WORTH — A U.S. soldier's wife is launching real and virtual bake sales to raise money to buy body armor for troops even though the government has promised to rush more protective gear to soldiers in Iraq. After a Pentagon study that found side armor could have saved dozens of U.S. lives in Iraq, the Army last month signed a $70 million emergency contract with a California-based company for ceramic body armor.
    But not all soldiers will get it, and some troops have armor that is the wrong size, so a need still exists, said Tammara Rosenleaf, whose husband was deployed from Fort Hood in December. The Bake Sales for Body Armor fundraiser also will provide medical supplies, communication equipment and other gear, she said.
    "When I realized my husband didn't have the side and deltoid body armor, the feeling of desperation to have it for him was overwhelming," said Rosenleaf, who recently moved back to her native Helena, Mont. Rosenleaf holds the first bake sale today at a Helena library, and others are planned this month in New York, Virginia and Texas. Beatriz Saldivar of Fort Worth, whose nephew Daniel Torres was killed in Iraq a year ago, said she plans to help organize one soon. "If we can . . . have one soldier fully armored and save his life, I think we're making a difference," Saldivar said.

Donations accepted at www .bakesalesforbodyarmor.org

mtbr member
    i hope they fail. because success means that the government will point and say they dont need to do anything about it. the government will shuck responsibility. the government will continue to slash capital gains taxes while the working poor, the decent middle american, the volunteer soldier will all scramble to help each other while getting the boot from the president and ceo.

Members who have read this thread: 0