Baggy shorts or stick with Lycra- Mtbr.com
    Nim

Jan 2004

New question here. Baggy shorts or stick with Lycra

I am thinking of getting a pair of baggy shorts and was looking at the Oakleys 2.1. Any good? Stick with lycra? I don't have a problem with lycra shorts and have always ridden with lycra. Do baggy shorts perform, expecially on long/hard three - four hour rides? Are there better baggy shorts than the Oakleys? Anyone know what size to get in the Oakleys if I wear a 34 or 36 waste jeans?

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Nim
    I am thinking of getting a pair of baggy shorts and was looking at the Oakleys 2.1. Any good? Stick with lycra? I don't have a problem with lycra shorts and have always ridden with lycra. Do baggy shorts perform, expecially on long/hard three - four hour rides? Are there better baggy shorts than the Oakleys? Anyone know what size to get in the Oakleys if I wear a 34 or 36 waste jeans?
    I mostly ride Lycra but baggies do have a couple advantages. They are warmer in the winter, they have pockets, and you can wear them in public after your ride. Lycra stay in place better and have more options for a better chamois.

I have a set of Nema Crown Jewels that are good. I do need to pull them up in the back while riding occasionally. I don't know if there is a market but maybe someone should invent baggy bibs. It would address the common plumber's crack issue with baggies.

mtbr member

Lots of choices...

... in baggies really. Nema's are rated pretty highly, so are most of the PI's. I remember lots of people saying good stuff about the Oakley's last year (on the old board ). I have a few pair of Zoic's that I like. I'm not sure how Oakley (or Nema & PI for that matter) sizes their baggies, but the Zoic's I have run small. I usually wear 33in jeans and I need to wear L Zoic's to be comfortable.

Besides what Homebrew says, I'd add one other thing, I'd say you look into material. I have a couple Zoic's that are cotton and one pair that's "nylon" (or whatever high-performance mumbo-jumbo term they use for their shorts). The nylon one is definitely cooler on warmer days than the cotton ones and I tend to use it more. I use use lycras too and in fact what I've done is cut out the inner lining of my baggies. That way I use the lycras underneath for more support and better fit, and still have use baggies for their pockets, post ride look, what-have-you...

my 2...

Randy
    Randy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Why bother with cutting out the liner on cycling specific shorts, wouldn't a snormal pair of nylon or polyester do the job, for probably much cheaper?
    But, who am I to talk, I have no problem with wearing lycra around. Too much road riding I guess

Jan 2004

If you have to ask...

I am thinking of getting a pair of baggy shorts and was looking at the Oakleys 2.1. Any good? Stick with lycra?
    You may also be interested in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=6302

(Sorry, Just kidding. Couldn't resist.)

old_dude
    Last edited by old_dude; 03-02-2004 at 01:22 PM.

mtbr member

An after-thought actually...

Quote Originally Posted by briwear
    Why bother with cutting out the liner on cycling specific shorts, wouldn't a snormal pair of nylon or polyester do the job, for probably much cheaper?
    But, who am I to talk, I have no problem with wearing lycra around. Too much road riding I guess
    It was after experiencing the "plumbers crack" syndrome as explained in Homebrew's aforementioned post that I came up with the idea of cutting out the liner.

Btw, I generally wear lycra for rides and the baggies for pre- & post-ride. But there are days when I just feel like leaving them on.

Randy
    Last edited by 家ndyA; 03-02-2004 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    Randy

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    I mostly ride Lycra but baggies do have a couple advantages. They are warmer in the winter, they have pockets, and you can wear them in public after your ride. Lycra stay in place better and have more options for a better chamois.

I have a set of Nema Crown Jewels that are good. I do need to pull them up in the back while riding occasionally. I don't know if there is a market but maybe someone should invent baggy bibs. It would address the common plumber's crack issue with baggies.
    No experience with Oakley...

IMO the Nema models are some of the best made. I have had Fox, Zoic and Pearl Isumi and my Nemas have outlasted them all and are by far the most comfortable. Their performance comes at a price, they are not cheap.

You can sometimes find them on overstock.com for $40-50 dollars but be prepaired to drop a cool $80-$90 at full retail for the Crown Jewel and over $100 for the Searcher. The Crown Jewel is my favorite model but I also have a Jewel model that has the same good fit and longevity but has a slightly less comfortable chamois.

The fit is fairly true to the size they state. I'm usually a 36 or 38 and can wear both the L 34"36" and XL 37"40".

Hope that helps some
    Nothing to see here.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I prefer the Nema Crown Jewels, with the Oakley 2.1 right behind that. They are both excellent riding shorts.

XCdude

Get the oakleys I have three pairs and they are

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew

bomb proof, they are VERY snug so I think you will take a large and they are kind of a pain to get into. I do wear lycra too, but I do wear my baggies a few times per week. The padding in the oakleys is great and durable, more so that some performace lycras that I have.
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic

Feb 2004

Wink

Being the overly superficial guy that I am, it depends what bike I ride.

On my 23 pounds hardtail, I wear Lycra for that race look.
    On my long travel dual suspension bike, I wear baggies for that "I'm so cool" look.
    On my BMX, I ride huge jeans for that whack, punk, urban look...

Seriously, I wear both lycra and baggy shorts, depending on temperature and where I ride. I used to ride only lycra but now tend to like baggies more and more (so I don't intimidate other riders...). I have a pair of Zoic, some Fox and a pair of cheap Mountain Equipement CO-OP.

dirtbag

Depends on where I'm going...

I wear both.

Lycra when I'm actually riding (commuting, road training, mountain biking the local trails).

Baggies when I'm just hanging out (riding to the local coffee shop, bookstore, LBS) or running errands (dropping by Blockbuster, grocery or post office); basically riding to someplace where I gotta get off the bike and mingle with the non-cycling public. Dont wanna look like a bike dork!!!

Every Ride A Gift

Oakleys rock

I own two pair of the Oakleys and I absolutely love them. They are really comfortable and very durable. I like the baggies for pockets and convenience. Just make sure you try the Oakleys on - I usually wear a large but need XL with these.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Think outside the box....

I ride with bibs (so they stay where they are supposed to) and put a shell liner overtop, thus giving the appearance of wearing baggies.
    Baggy shorts with liners feel like diapers (or so i would imagine - no 1st hand experience here)
    this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member

New question here. Sizing?

How do lycra shorts run sizing wize? I have a 38-40 waist, I picked up a pair of Zoic baggies that were supposed to fit me (XL), waaaaay too small so I got XXL and they fit good. Of course it was mail order so I had to go through the hassle. Any input as to weather or not lyrca runs similar so I can avoid having to return things?

Nim

Jan 2004

I just picked up . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Goddy
    How do lycra shorts run sizing wize? I have a 38-40 waist, I picked up a pair of Zoic baggies that were supposed to fit me (XL), waaaaay too small so I got XXL and they fit good. Of course it was mail order so I had to go through the hassle. Any input as to weather or not lyrca runs similar so I can avoid having to return things?
    Some lycra's from velowear.com. They have a good sizing chart that compares different brand lycra's for size comparison. I am a 36" waste and got the Velo XL's they fit perfect if that helps.

Flyin Canine
    I've ridden with both the nema crown jewels and the oakley 2.1 shorts. I prefer the nemas for their lighter, more breathable feel. The oakleys are very nice too though and provide more abrasion resistance if you crash. They also have vents on the front to let air in. They both have great chamois pads with the nemas being 6hr+ comfortable. These days I only wear lycra if it's more than say 95 degrees outside. The one thing I love about baggies is the crash protection. Nothing worse than having your butt cheek hanging out when your lyra shorts tear in a crash.

Mar 2004

I've used both

I quit using baggies because I would occasionally hang the leg up on the seat or the seat skewer, but I miss the pockets.

I now have two pair of pearls that are 3 or 4 years old and still going and they have big miles on them. Although on a mountain bike it seems like time in the saddle adds up faster than miles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've always used lycra until my last two rides. Just got a pair of Nema Crown Jewels. They work very well. Some low-riding in the back as stated above but for me I cannot see wearing lycra again. Not anti lycra by any means but for me baggys are the way to go.

mtbr member

crash protection

baggies offer much better protection in a crash. Of course, sometimes baggies caught on the seat cause crashes

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhip
    I own two pair of the Oakleys and I absolutely love them. They are really comfortable and very durable. I like the baggies for pockets and convenience. Just make sure you try the Oakleys on - I usually wear a large but need XL with these.
    \
    totally agree. I own two pair and they are the best I have ever used. The Nema's are ok but I think they are cut too short. The Oakley's are comfy, have air vents in the legs, and don't slip down ever. I'd be shocked if you didn't love them.

That siad, I also know a guy who racaess semi pro and has won Norba events in expert class wearing cut off jeans shorts so, to each, his own.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

sock puppet

i have oakley, the more expensive model

i find them too hot in the summer but what i didnt like about baggy shorts in general is the fact that sometimes the baggy area sticks to the saddle if i am going behind the saddle on steep downhills and gatting back onto the saddle after that... it was scary couple of times... so now i stick with lycra...

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    No experience with Oakley...

IMO the Nema models are some of the best made. I have had Fox, Zoic and Pearl Isumi and my Nemas have outlasted them all and are by far the most comfortable. Their performance comes at a price, they are not cheap.

You can sometimes find them on overstock.com for $40-50 dollars but be prepaired to drop a cool $80-$90 at full retail for the Crown Jewel and over $100 for the Searcher. The Crown Jewel is my favorite model but I also have a Jewel model that has the same good fit and longevity but has a slightly less comfortable chamois.

The fit is fairly true to the size they state. I'm usually a 36 or 38 and can wear both the L 34"36" and XL 37"40".

Hope that helps some

just along for the ride
    LOL indeed the old baggie bash. I bought this pair of meassenger knickers from Hind about 18 months ago. Killer white pants, loads of storage way streachy outer shell and , well the kotex is a bit oversided, but the pants work well cause they are light over the knee to protect from sunburn and way light breathable fabric, still kicking myself for not gettin a few. The other short I ride is a Primal Instinct 22$ special better kotex and tighter fit but likes to ride up a bit,. Gave all my old lycra stuff to the wife for spin, and glad she's not bugging me for a FS bike

Jan 2004

Do you find that,...

your riding partners give you a hard time about bibs. Mine sure do. I tried wearing baggies over my bibs but they kept sliding down because of the slippery lycra. I wear bibs because I got no arse. That's probably the reason the baggies kept sliding off.

Cheap baggies will give you that wadded up diaper fell. But the more expensive ones are very comfortable. I wore my baggies today. I hate them because I got no arse. I'm with you I'll stick with bibs.

just along for the ride
    I got no arse too and like beer that adds to gravity here but all those lexus gals I see crossing twin bridges hoot and beep so, hey, might be allright to show some crack, makes me feel almost young until the ride buzz wears off.

Members who have read this thread: 0