Baggy shorts hanging up on saddle....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Baggy shorts hanging up on saddle....

How do you know that shorts won't do that when buying?

I have that problem with my current baggy shorts. The crotch hangs up on the saddle when I try to move behind the saddle goind down a descent. Same with going back on the saddle.

Seems like I have to buy tight baggy's, if that makes any sense.

Big Boy
    Gave up on baggies half a year ago and havent looked back. I got tired of it. Now i ride my 575 with bibs and i might look silly but its comfy and i dont get hung up.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yup, baggy shorts will do that. My junk is too enormous to tuck discreetly into skin tights (holla!! ) so I put up with the occasional snag. In all honesty I don't ride so hard that it's a detriment, annoying but manageable for me.

Of course if you insist on baggy shorts the trick is to find a set loose enough to minimize the hangups.

On the aside, there are few things as disturbing as seeing a pot-bellied guy sportin' skin tight leggings...yuk.

Paste eater
    That's easy. Adjustable seatpost. I know you CAN get behind your saddle on those descents, but when things get funny, it's a really bad place to be...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    +1. Never get hung up with the adjustable seatpost.

since 4/10/2009
    A well-fitting pair of baggies helps. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi Titan shorts. They're baggy, but I can't recall ever snagging my shorts in 6yrs of riding in them. They're also stretchy, so they can be a little bit more snug than most "gnar" baggies. Perfect for me. I have some cheap Zoic baggies that are hung up more often than not. I don't wear them if at all possible anymore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post

I have that problem with my current baggy shorts. The crotch hangs up on the saddle when I try to move behind the saddle goind down a descent. Same with going back on the saddle.

Which brand/style of shorts are you currently using? Shorts that won't get hung up have a long inseam (like almost 2 inches below the knee) and are cut in a specific way around the crotch area. They are also expensive....but you get what you pay for.

just an example:

Amazon.com: Troy Lee Designs Moto Bike Short - Men's: Clothing

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    All the shorts I own that have no stretch never grab. Surf shorts work great for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ive been buying Zoic. Never realized they were cheap. 75 bucks retail wasnt so cheap for me. I bought one pair, it fit great, took abuse and went with it.

Yeah, I guess I wont hang up on an adjustable seatpost, doh! Either that, or cut my seat post another inch or two from the bottom.

I guess I'll also be looking at Troy Lee shorts too for my next pair.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Like they said above adjustable post and all is good. And it helps keep my fat gut from getting in the way. Win win situation. I ride with a pair of Zoics and a pair of Oakleys. I do find the Oakleys fit a little snugger in the crotch area.

mtbr member
    Baggy trail riding shorts should not hang up if they are designed right.

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozh View Post
    On the aside, there are few things as disturbing as seeing a pot-bellied guy sportin' skin tight leggings...yuk.
    Yeah, that is one thing I hate too!! I see them all the time, and wonder why they put themselves through that kind of humiliation...gross.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post

I have found that baggies that have a stretchy a crotch area hang up more.

I generally like ones that are not TOO baggy. Having them not hang to far below my crotch helps too (they should be baggy, not saggy).

I don't find that the length really matters much for me. I prefer them just above my knees.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    I've used dickies' short with the short 12" inseam with a chamois shorts underneath and they worked well. Since the dickie shorts are really smooth they slide over the saddle and are durable as hell too. But the most important part is getting the sizing right, get them small enough that they dont require a belt to keep up.

"2 Wycked"
    Troy lee Designs are awesome, I have a few pairs of the Ace shorts and the Sprint shorts. I have never had a problem with getting hung up, I only have one issue and its with the Sprint shorts, if im not paying attention when I zip up or unzip the fly it's very easy to get the little guy caught, it's happened quite a bit too.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

SamIAm
    fox demo shorts are cut quite snug the where they need to be and just baggy enough to fit over straits. double adjustable waist helps. ratchet and velcro.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Early in the summer I bought the Gore Alp-X Pro Shorts. They combine the best of both roadie lycra and mtb baggies. Baggy on the outside, but the crotch is tight-fitting-no-hangup-lycra. Excellent shorts!

Machinist
    I miss the old school Large Hardware baggies....super durable n plenty of cargo pockets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    why they put themselves through that kind of humiliation...gross.

we.... uh I mean THEY just don't give a crap - so no humiliation. It's all in your head.

I wear cheap, baggy board shorts over under-armor type stretchy shorts. I don't ride far typically. I want to get real bike shorts but finding my size (and a price I like) is hard.