Baggies or Lycra?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Baggies or Lycra?

I know this has been covered many times before and will be covered many times again.

anyways, I ride a DH and XC bike and am looking for shorts. I was going to just buy baggies. But then I second guessed myself with the question, "what if I buy lycra and just wear shorts over them?" This also would allow my to wear them under my MX pants when I race DH.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks to all who respond!

mikeb
    i wore cut off camo pants over lycra for years.

it's my understanding that most baggy shorts are sold with an elastic undershort.

i just purchased a pair of endura humvee knickers recently--they come with a lycra short that snaps in. you don't even have to use the shorts that they provide either, just slip on any old pair of sausage wraps and then the knickers. i'm pretty happy with them so far.

you can order them at toeclip.com, however call them to make sure your size and color are in stock before typing in your credit card numbers.

mtbr member
    Plain lycra shorts are more versatile. You can wear them under regular shorts, fleece pants, or, if nobody is looking, by themselves.

I have several lycras, but my favorite is the bibs with the built in suspenders. They work great in keeping them from sliding down, but are a PITA when you gotta take a leak on the trail

Just get some good riding shorts, and make DIY baggies if your butt is too big or your jewels are too small

I'm SUCH a square....
    i've rolled every which way, except bare-a$$; i ride to work in my work clothes, roll fun rides w/ my daughter in baggies, 20+ mile rides in lycra, afternoon romps in baggy-over-lycra...the list goes on. i let my mood determine what i wear -- the important part is, I'M RIDING.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedlizard720
    I know this has been covered many times before and will be covered many times again.
    Yes it has, and everything to be said on the matter has been said and said again.

Yes, it will, and the same things will continue to be said.

Search "baggies lycra" and you will have lots of fun reading.

mtbr member
    The best I've found are bib lycra with baggies over them held up with suspenders. They never work their way down and you don't have to worry about snagging them on the saddle. The baggies protect the expensive bibs from crash damage and the comfort is the best.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Yes it has, and everything to be said on the matter has been said and said again.

Yes, it will, and the same things will continue to be said.

Search "baggies lycra" and you will have lots of fun reading.
    +2

A simple search woulda yielded a number of threads on this subject. All the responses are pretty much the same in each thread.

EastBaySteez
    When I go riding I usualy wear jeans (dh and locad FR spots) Im considering buy a undershort from performance its not lycra but its not bagy. For those non shuttle days its nice to have some extra padding on the tush. And it protects you from that nasty little things called over the bars seat in the arse.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Members who have read this thread: 0