Baggier cycling bib?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Baggier cycling bib?

I started riding and racing a few years ago and always used regular underwear and shorts. It was terrible.
    Then lycra-texture underwear (don't know the name, sorry) and that was better, but not great.
    Then cycling specific trail shorts.
    Then I got an used liner (which isn't even branded so bear with me) and it was better but I've been using with a pair of cycling trail shorts that are perhaps too baggy and heavy (Leatt DBX 3).

The problem is always the same and no I'm not surprised: chamois that moves all over the place specially up my ass and shorts that get dragged down by saddle friction and require constant pulling up aside from being hot and uncomfortable. Which drives me crazy

I tried a cycling bib under the shorts, and the chamois moving was solved, but the shorts are still moving around too much and start interfering with the cycling bib.

I'm a mostly XC racer but will race anything that involves mtb locally.
    I use flat pedals, will switch to clips this year, but will never like the look of a lycra kit. I'm really feeling the discomfort and heat at the races, so I need something lighter, fresher, racier without going all the way to a cycling kit. What makes more sense for me?

I kinda like those shorts with included liner. I like the Leatt DBX 1.0, they look a lot lighter and fresher and include a padded liner. But the straps on my DBX 3.0 are elastic and don't do their job very well, so I'm not sure if it would be just as bad.

Or should I just get the cycling bib and a different pair of shorts with working straps that actually stays in place?

Or does a cycling bib with baggy leg openings exist so I can just use that and call it good?

Fairly trivial question but what the hell, I like the trail look.

since 4/10/2009
    What's the baggy short you're having problems with? IME, the issues with bunching/moving you're describing are fairly typical of cheap shorts, or at least baggies that are more gravity oriented, rather than xc/trail oriented.

Included liners usually suck. I used to want my baggies to come with them, but since I've experienced quality shorts, I don't want anywhere near them. No, there's no such thing as bibs with baggy leg openings. Good liners DO exist, though. Also, good lycra is cooler than cheap lycra. I have some top notch Sugoi shorts (not liners) that are exceptionally cool and feel notably better when it's warm out than my less expensive stuff.

That's not to say you HAVE to spend a lot of money to get that sort of performance and fit. But I find it harder to find at lower prices.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have a pair of Pearl Izumi bib liners/baggy shorts that have mesh front panels on the shorts. They are great in summer and it's easy to wear the liners with a different pair of shorts other times of year.

I do wish the manufaturers could standardize on the attachment system for liners/shorts. Some put the fixed loop on the liners, some on the shorts, so there are combinations I can't use because there's no way to attach them to each other.

I'd also like to see a one-pice bib/baggy short to eliminate the shorts sliding down on the lycra liner. Especially important if you're not a 150lb racer type.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    What's the baggy short you're having problems with? IME, the issues with bunching/moving you're describing are fairly typical of cheap shorts, or at least baggies that are more gravity oriented, rather than xc/trail oriented.

Included liners usually suck. I used to want my baggies to come with them, but since I've experienced quality shorts, I don't want anywhere near them. No, there's no such thing as bibs with baggy leg openings. Good liners DO exist, though. Also, good lycra is cooler than cheap lycra. I have some top notch Sugoi shorts (not liners) that are exceptionally cool and feel notably better when it's warm out than my less expensive stuff.

That's not to say you HAVE to spend a lot of money to get that sort of performance and fit. But I find it harder to find at lower prices.
    Leatt DBX 3.0. They market them as trail shorts but are heavier than my last "trail" shorts, which were Alpine Stars Pathfinder, so definitely more gravity oriented; they even have a pre formed shape for knee pads.
    The DBXs are a lot sturdier and have taken many crashes without a hint of damage unlike the Pathfinder, but they are too hot, and the velcro straps are elastic and useless after half an hour. I think the pre formed knee pad shape makes it worse since the short is always covering my knee and restricting air flow.

I like them, but just for gravity at the moment.
    The Pathfinder's straps weren't elastic and definitely held up well to my body.

Yeah, that's sort of what I read about included liners, almost nobody likes them it seems, so I'll pass.

I admit that buying cheap crap plays a big part in my problems, so I'm definitely willing to spend more as long as I'm comfortable. We only have Spesh and Bontrager stuff locally, so as far as quality liners or bibs go, those are the ones I'm willing to pay more for since I can return them if they don't get along with my junk.
    Other than those, we only have North Wave and chinese knock offs of pro team's cycling kits and such. My brother wears a Castelli knock off and he's happy so far.

I'll try online if I'm convinced though...

Those Sugoi shorts look awesome, I like the slim fit shape they seem to have. Which ones do you use? I like the idea of wearing those and get a quality bib to wear under the shorts.

Thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy View Post
    I have a pair of Pearl Izumi bib liners/baggy shorts that have mesh front panels on the shorts. They are great in summer and it's easy to wear the liners with a different pair of shorts other times of year.

I do wish the manufaturers could standardize on the attachment system for liners/shorts. Some put the fixed loop on the liners, some on the shorts, so there are combinations I can't use because there's no way to attach them to each other.

I'd also like to see a one-pice bib/baggy short to eliminate the shorts sliding down on the lycra liner. Especially important if you're not a 150lb racer type.
    Well, I am 150 lb, lol. Slightly below actually.

That's what I'm also worried about, the attachment system. If I don't like the liner, I'd like to take it off and just wear the shorts with a better liner or bib, specially since it seems the shorts themselves are usually pretty light and fresh.

I'l check out Pearl Izumi to see what they offer. Which ones do you run specifically?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Deartist7 View Post
    Leatt DBX 3.0. They market them as trail shorts but are heavier than my last "trail" shorts, which were Alpine Stars Pathfinder, so definitely more gravity oriented; they even have a pre formed shape for knee pads.
    The DBXs are a lot sturdier and have taken many crashes without a hint of damage unlike the Pathfinder, but they are too hot, and the velcro straps are elastic and useless after half an hour. I think the pre formed knee pad shape makes it worse since the short is always covering my knee and restricting air flow.

I like them, but just for gravity at the moment.
    The Pathfinder's straps weren't elastic and definitely held up well to my body.

Yeah, that's sort of what I read about included liners, almost nobody likes them it seems, so I'll pass.

I admit that buying cheap crap plays a big part in my problems, so I'm definitely willing to spend more as long as I'm comfortable. We only have Spesh and Bontrager stuff locally, so as far as quality liners or bibs go, those are the ones I'm willing to pay more for since I can return them if they don't get along with my junk.
    Other than those, we only have North Wave and chinese knock offs of pro team's cycling kits and such. My brother wears a Castelli knock off and he's happy so far.

I'll try online if I'm convinced though...

Those Sugoi shorts look awesome, I like the slim fit shape they seem to have. Which ones do you use? I like the idea of wearing those and get a quality bib to wear under the shorts.

Thanks for the reply!
    Well, those outer shorts are definitely a big part of your problem. The Sugoi shorts I have are the RS Pro lycra shorts. It's been awhile since I last bought lycra, so I probably need to add a couple more pairs to spread out use.

For outer shorts, I have a few different pairs that I like a lot. My favorites are Kitsbow Haskell shorts. Yes, sometimes I wear $300 worth of shorts when I ride. I also have some NZO Dobies that I like a little less (the stretchy crotch has some durability issues if you ride in areas with abrasive sediment that gets kicked up by your tires), but I like the drawstring closure and the pocket arrangement on them. I have some Fox Ranger (older style, not sure how well the newer version fits me) shorts that work well, too.

I have some other shorts that don't fit as well that I don't use as often. They're sortof my "emergency" shorts if it's been too long since I last did laundry.

I can't believe anyone would actually WANT their lycra/liner to attach to their baggies. That's the last thing I want. All three of the aforementioned baggy shorts are entirely separate from the inner. If I wanted to wear bibs under my baggies, I could do so without any trouble at all. I've been considering trying out bibs, for that matter. I've had a few shorts where the liner was attached. I cut the liner out. The Fox shorts came attached, but the "attachment" was never intended to be permanent. Just a couple loops holding the liner with the baggies for the sales rack. They're meant to be cut out and used as separate pieces, though the liner is thin/kinda meshy, and not intended to be used on its own like the Sugoi shorts. I also have a pair of mesh Novara liners that work pretty well. I tend to favor the mesh liners over the actual lycra shorts when it's especially hot, but those Sugoi lycra shorts do pretty well.

mtbr member
    I'm not currently racing, but like many XC racers, I just wear cycling bibs without baggies. I tried various combos, but never liked the bulk and restriction of baggies, especially while pedaling.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Cycling bibs work for a reason, they are tailored for moving around on the bike and not getting hung up. It's funnier to see somebody who wears baggies because they are uncomfortable vs somebody just wearing lycra even though they don't look like a pro racer....none of us do and nobody cares.

I'll wear baggies if I am doing more shuttle / trail / enduro riding, they keep you a bit warmer, resist crashing a bit better, are easier to wash and if you are someplace like Whistler, a bit less intrusive when you roll in someplace to grab a beer.

But for XC racing, baggies generally just get in the way.

Any of the bibs work well. I like Assos ($$$) and Castelli personally.

mtbr member
    Since you have Botrager close I would try that first as they have a pretty sweet return policy which would allow you to experiment to find what works best for 30 days before being stuck with it. I have multiple sets of bibs/kits that I use with or without baggies depending on the weather and the ride. I only have two pair of baggies currently, Pearl Izumi Summit and a cheap pair I picked up to try. The PI's are great, they are not as baggy as some but they are sized well, stay in place, and aren't to long. The cheap ones are just that, the sizing is much broader with elastic and Velcro that don't work very well, and they are longer. I've only used them a couple of times and don't see that changing unless in a bind.