baggie bib shorts

Printable View

  • 09-29-2019
    masters40
    baggie bib shorts
    I'm curious as to why no clothing manufacturers make a mountain bike bib short where the bibs are actually part of the baggie short rather than a lycra bib short under a pair of baggie shorts. I'm kind of a fat guy, and when I wear regular shorts, I got the plumber crack thing going on...friggin' annoying! Besides the butt crack hangin' out, the shorts get loose in the crotch and hook on the saddle when mounting/dismounting. I wish I had a talent for sewing. Anyone else out there have the same complaint? Any suggestions?
  • 09-30-2019
    Taroroot
    Its too bad the Sugoi bib liner and shorts I have they constructed the "weiner" gate in the wrong place. Except for that critical mistake they're great, and the outer short has short strap and snaps that attach it to bibs. Actually I have Specialized SWAT bib liners that have straps and snaps to attach it to their short, but its close enough to work with my Sugoi shorts, so yes, there are bibs and shorts out there that attach. Having them separate but attachable is best way to go, more convenient and flexible.
  • 10-17-2019
    GlazedHam
    Fox Livewire Fuse? I have not tried them because of the price and I have a ton of liners to use up due to shell/outer short wearing out much faster than liners.

    DirtBaggies? I believe they used to sponsor this forum.
  • 10-17-2019
    Tim-ti
    Hi Masters40, GlazezdHam, DirtBaggies were the first MTB specific bibs and we sometime sponsor this forum.

    I tried developing a version where the bib and baggy were sewn together, but found that the baggy short hung too low on short people, and gave wedgies to tall people - in the end we made a ladder on the bib and a tether on the baggy allowing folk to tune the height for their build. There might be a way to successfully sew the two garments together, but I think the tether-ladder worked well, so when other brands made similar garments it was easier to use the same idea than try to reinvent the wheel.

    There have been some waistband shorts with the liner sewn in to the baggy short, my guess is that the baggy short pulls the chamois away from your crotch. Here are my thoughts on that: dirtbaggies.com/pages/f-a-q
  • 10-18-2019
    ranier
    Combining the two would be a compromise in fit and probably be an increase in price. Of all the shorts I've bought that were a lycra short connected to a baggy outer short, I've cut and separated them and use my bibs under the outer baggy. I use the bibs by themselves when I'm out on roadie feel fast rides and sometimes I wear the baggies off the bike.

    Just buy separate pieces and mix or match.
  • 10-18-2019
    BmanInTheD
  • 10-21-2019
    masters40
    Thanks for the responses guys! I checked out a couple of your suggestions but like I said, I'm a fat dude and a size 38-40 just won't work for me. I think I should lay off the beer for awhile...
  • 10-22-2019
    eastman
    Interesting thread. I only wear bib shorts and always hated how hot they were in the summer with baggie shorts. Rash city, and all. Then I found a GREAT pair of bibs specifically made to be worn under baggies. they're made with a very breathable mesh fabric and even have a little stow area in the back to carry extra stuff. I'm a 33-34- ish waist and wear a large...I think they also come in XL. Chamois is also great for 4+ hour rides. my only negative is, I wish I would have found these sooner, no more heat rash!! Link below

    https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110820
  • 10-22-2019
    coke
    I've owned 5 pair of the Gore 2in1 bibs. Extremely comfortable and the only bibs I wear anymore. They are also made well and will last years. Can't recommend them enough. I would suggest going 1 size larger than normal.

    I also have a pair of fox live wire. The 2nd time I washed them parts of the straps broke, so I can't recommend them

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  • 10-22-2019
    GlazedHam
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I've owned 5 pair of the Gore 2in1 bibs. Extremely comfortable and the only bibs I wear anymore. They are also made well and will last years. Can't recommend them enough. I would suggest going 1 size larger than normal.

    I also have a pair of fox live wire. The 2nd time I washed them parts of the straps broke, so I can't recommend them

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

    Do you have the Gore 2in1 Alp-X, C7 or some other model?
  • 10-22-2019
    Turd
    I have the Gore 2in1 Alp smothering or other bib. It doesn’t look like they make it anymore or the new models don’t have a fly/snap on the shell. I’d be worried about that. I’m not “big” but my belly fluctuates like an inflatable basketball. When I am bloated, I don’t button the shell and If I did not have that option, I would not uses them on my fat days/months
  • 10-22-2019
    WiWa
    I've been running Pactimo Apex liners with their Terrain shorts as an outer. The liners run a bit small so go up a size if in doubt.

    https://www.pactimo.com/collections/...ts/MTB-Bottoms
  • 10-23-2019
    coke
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Do you have the Gore 2in1 Alp-X, C7 or some other model?

    I have had 3 of the older version and I have 2 of the newer C7. There aren't any huge differences except the chamois is slightly different.

    The only issue I had with the old version was a part of the chamois became unbonded after 3 or 4 years. Still fully functional and not a major problem. The new C7 appears to be made in a way that this can't happen.


    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  • 10-23-2019
    coke
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    I have the Gore 2in1 Alp smothering or other bib. It doesn’t look like they make it anymore or the new models don’t have a fly/snap on the shell. I’d be worried about that. I’m not “big” but my belly fluctuates like an inflatable basketball. When I am bloated, I don’t button the shell and If I did not have that option, I would not uses them on my fat days/months

    The C7 and old alpx don't have any snaps. Personally I love this since there is nothing tight around my waist like there is with normal shorts. It's just material sewn on the outside of bibs.


    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  • 10-23-2019
    GlazedHam
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eastman View Post
    Interesting thread. I only wear bib shorts and always hated how hot they were in the summer with baggie shorts. Rash city, and all. Then I found a GREAT pair of bibs specifically made to be worn under baggies. they're made with a very breathable mesh fabric and even have a little stow area in the back to carry extra stuff. I'm a 33-34- ish waist and wear a large...I think they also come in XL. Chamois is also great for 4+ hour rides. my only negative is, I wish I would have found these sooner, no more heat rash!! Link below

    https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110820

    Have you tried the Voler outer short? The have 3 models and all look like to be built to last which would be a good combo with their bibs as I tend to wear a hole in the outer short before my inners wear out.
  • 10-23-2019
    Turd
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by coke View Post
    The C7 and old alpx don't have any snaps. Personally I love this since there is nothing tight around my waist like there is with normal shorts. It's just material sewn on the outside of bibs.


    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

    OK, believe they are the “POWER TRAIL”

    Attachment 1288383