Backpack- Mtbr.com

Thread: Backpack

mtbr member

Backpack

Hi Guys

Seeing as I just got my bike I have been just going around the neighborhood and around town for the most part but would like to ht some of the local trails. Im trying to figure out a backpack to get so I can keep some food,gear, and tools I may need when out on the trails.

I dont know if I should get a "brand" name biking backpack or just stick with something simple for now. I dont know If I should look into something like a camelback right now or not?

Any tips

Jeremy

mtbr member
    I recommend getting something of known quality now so down the road you dont spend more replacing it.
    I use a camelbak MULE right now, you could get a nice used one on flebay and fit a lot of stuff in there. Avoid the military versions as they don't have as much storage ironically.

If you need more space I cant recommend a Kifaru XrayG2 more. I use one when Im riding with my wife and son because of how well it sits on my back with a lot of weight in there. Kids need a huge support chain Also works well when im hitting the store or something like that.

I use the Camelbak when its just me or im hitting the trails or something like that.

I heard osprey makes good packs as well. I haven't seen one in person but watching youtube vids of people reviewing them I could see that they fit the bill pretty well.

EDIT* Also to add, I like to pick up trash I find along the way on the trails. It drives me crazy seeing empty water bottles and wrappers and stuff when im out in the woods. The MULE has enough space in there to carry a small bag of trash at times but is very compact and unnoticeable on my back.
    Last edited by Jaysop; 08-11-2012 at 03:59 PM.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Camelbak MULE here as well, and I love it. Storage for tools, food, keys, cellphone, etc. Pretty comfortable on my back as well.

Ugly As F*ck
    I was just recently shopping for a new pack. Locally all I could find that somewhat fit my needs were the Camelbak MULE and HAWG. I was about to buy when and then decided to search around online. I ended up scoring a Dakine Nomad online for 55 bucks. Not only is this a killer deal but the pack is perfect, 100oz bladder, tons of storage and you can strap both a full face helmet and body armor to it.

local trails rider
    The most important thing I'm carrying in my pack is water: during a ride, you sweat and get thirsty. In additon, a good hydration pack has the advantage of holding all the other gear too. My Camelbak Lobo has room for enough water, and supplies for fixing a flat and other most likely mechanicals. I cannot fit much food or clothing in it but I don't really need those things. There's other brands too but I cannot comment on those.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I use a Dakine Helipro 2. It's actually made for skiers, but many of the features transfer.

2 liter hydration system
    Full body straps
    Thick back padding
    Padded "goggles" pocket-works great for cell phone, other unscratchables.
    It's designed for snow, so if it gets wet or muddy it's easy to clean
    Looks kickass.

mtbr member
    I just purchased an Osprey 10 online at REI. Free 2nd day shipping on Osprey right now. I will let you know, but from the reviews I think it work well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I use the Lezyne Great Divide. Big enough for food and tools with a 100oz bladder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The guys in the backing forum would have some ideas too. It depends on where you are going, what you are doing, and how long you will be out as to which pack you will need. I have 3 packs myself:
    1. Camelbak HAWG this is great for an all-day/all-afternoon ride. Big mouth bladder and enough storage for food bars and first aid / bike repair gear.
    2. TAD fastpack lightspeed. I use this for when Iím doing an overnight in the woods. Itís strong as all hell and carries tons of gear.
    3. My Camelbak bladder pouch. All this thing is, is a bag with shoulder straps for my big mouth pouch and a small zipper slit just big enough for my house/car key and my id/medical insurance card. I use this guy when Iím doing speed runs or its very hot out and I want to bring tons of water but little else.
    Hope this helps!
    "Are you a girl? Keep that huge ass and deal with it. Are you a guy? Ride your bike more. You disgust me."

mtbr member
    May 2012
    +1 for camelbak mule. nice size bladder for hydration and plenty of room for toolkit spare tube wallet phone etc....

BMF
    Oct 2007
    For sure get a pack now - some features I'd look for:
    - 100 oz (3 liter) bladder : you don't have to fill it all the way up, but in the future when you're doing longer rides you'll be glad you have it
    - Lightweight "frame" structure keeping pack off your back. By this I refer to the packs where a mesh support rests on your back, and the pack itself is a little bit off your back, so air can flow between. This is much more comfortable in hot/sweaty conditions.

Other than those two features, every pack will have various pockets, mesh things, compression straps and other stuff you can use to stash your tools, iPhone and trail mix.

EDR
    Get whatever you want but the 'name' brand ones really do come with the long haul in mind.

I've had Camelbaks since '05 when I bought my first Mule. I still have it to this day and not so much as a zipper has broken. ( I did step on and break a buckle but they sent me a new one no questions asked.)

All the name brand ones mentioned above are great. You can get much much cheaper ones at Wallyworld to get you going, just don't expect it to last for years and years. Simple things like stitching, zippers, straps will give way over time but you gotta start somewhere so go with your budget. Spend more now if you can, you'll save yourself money in the long run.

TIP: take your time and search online for expensive bags like the Hawg, etc. I've never paid more than about 75% of standard retail for my Camelbaks. Got my Hawg for 59 or 69 bucks buy buying last years model. Retail I think was over $100.

SS Rider
    +1 for camelbak mule. I have had mine for years and still use it as it fits all my stuff and water for me and my dog. Great option in my opinion it isn't too big if you don't fill it up but seems to have just enough room to carry whatever I want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have the Osprey Viper 10 and it is an awesome pack!

Cow Clicker
    How long of a ride are you going on? Can you hike back if you have a mechanical failure? Do you ride with friends who can share the load? I have a 70 oz Osprey and used to ride with it every time I went out packed with stuff and full of water. I eventually realized I was just humping extra weight for no reason. Now I only use it for rides longer than two hours and get my water from bottles if I'm doing a sub 2 hour ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderBalls View Post
    I use a Dakine Helipro 2. It's actually made for skiers, but many of the features transfer.

2 liter hydration system
    Full body straps
    Thick back padding
    Padded "goggles" pocket-works great for cell phone, other unscratchables.
    It's designed for snow, so if it gets wet or muddy it's easy to clean
    Looks kickass.
    Have you been caught out in the rain much with it and does it leak at all? It looks perfect for the commute and trail riding. Plenty of storage and easy to clean, 'cos it WILL get dirty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'd go for the Camelbak Mule

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've got a Deuter Bike One, I'm extremely happy with it. It's light weight, tough, big, comfortable and keeps the sweaty back to a minimum. I used to hate packs, but now I forget I'm wearing one. Oh and a 3 liter hydration pack is highly appreciated in 100 degree Texas heat.

Rogue Exterminator
    I got a cheaper hydration pack from walmart for about 1/3 of the price of a camelback.
    It is plenty sturdy and does the trick.
    Even if it does tear up, I can buy at least 2 more and still break even.

Anyways, buy whatever brand or price point you want, but I definitely suggest making it a hydration system.
    Another plus of the hydration system is that if you ice the water down real good, it will help keep any food or snacks cool on the trail.

jbf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc D View Post
    I've got a Deuter Bike One, I'm extremely happy with it. It's light weight, tough, big, comfortable and keeps the sweaty back to a minimum. I used to hate packs, but now I forget I'm wearing one. Oh and a 3 liter hydration pack is highly appreciated in 100 degree Texas heat.
    I'll second the Deuter packs. Great quality and the best suspension system out there. Nothing but mesh/air against your back. You will not regret getting one.

mtbr member
    No regrets on picking up a Mule....small enough to toss on your back with no issue....big enough to hold tools and spares.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I got an Osprey Talon 11 2 years ago and LOVE it!!! My wife liked it so much that she got one too. Plenty of room for gear for long rides and I use an insulated camelback bladder that keeps my water cool. I love Osprey products and the impeccable build quality. The back design is cool to wear and the straps are mesh so they breathe very well too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I got a cheaper hydration pack from walmart for about 1/3 of the price of a camelback.
    It is plenty sturdy and does the trick.
    Even if it does tear up, I can buy at least 2 more and still break even.

Anyways, buy whatever brand or price point you want, but I definitely suggest making it a hydration system.
    Another plus of the hydration system is that if you ice the water down real good, it will help keep any food or snacks cool on the trail.
    I've had 2 of these. 1 is my heavier, larger hiking rig, the other is a smaller pack for cycling. I've had the larger one for about 4 years, only replaced the hydration bag ($10) a few times for no reason other than peace of mind. It's been through rain, snow, Texas summers, no issues at all what so ever. The cycling one I got is only about a month old, but carries everything I need for trips out with the boys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've never used a pack while biking, what kinda stuff do people put in their packs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    I've never used a pack while biking, what kinda stuff do people put in their packs?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-prote...ck-758070.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...ck-791622.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...ts-784358.html

Natural Born Killer
    I've got a Lezyne Svelte pack that I use every day for commuting and all my other riding. It is more cycling specific than other packs I've seen with pockets for specific biking tools which are nice for organizing and it has room for anything else you would need for day trips. Some reviews have complained about flow rate from the bite valve but I have no complaints what so ever. Just as a disclaimer, I'm the type of person that if I know 10 people with a camelbak, I'll look for something else that is just as good but maybe not as well know or popular. Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

Members who have read this thread: 0