Back / Spine Protection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Back / Spine Protection

After suffering a compression fracture of my t8 vertabra a couple months ago, i will be looking for some back protection. looking for something that i will still be able to pedal in as well as offer enough protection for shuttled runs.
    does anyone know if any of these offer protection from back extension/flexion injuries as well as direct impacts?
    these are the products i'm considering

poc spine ergo
    Spine Ergo BUG - POC Sports

poc spine vest
    Spine VPD Vest - POC Sports

fox titan (the chest protector can be removed)
    Titan Sport Sleeveless Jacket

rockgardn flak jacket (fully convertable, can be used as full armor or just chest and back or just back)
    Rockgardn Flak Jacket

any feedback on these would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I wear a Titan jacket, I don't really see it preventing over extension. It's only pieces of plastic, I only wear it in hopes of breaking the impact of landing on rocks, branches, any other fun stuff you'd find on a DH course.

meow meow
    i dont think anything on the market can prevent a compression fracture, only direct impacts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i dont think anything on the market can prevent a compression fracture, only direct impacts.
    Well i'd have to agree with you, nothing is going to help prevent them 100%...but i think some extra support against over extending could help a little bit.
    I dont have any proof of this, but just figured they would provide some extra support, just as a compression suit does.

meow meow
    over extension due to flexation- something like the poc will help or possibly stop that. but there is no way (other than not falling) to stop compression that i am aware of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    I dont have any proof of this, but just figured they would provide some extra support, just as a compression suit does.
    (according to their claims) LEATT braces and similar can help prevent flexion injuries to the neck by limiting movement. Whether or not they work as claimed though is entirely up in the air, nobody has invested much time or money in the proepr testing.

I know of nothing that can protect you from compressional injuries.

Some spine protector have plates that interlock and limit movement of the spine. Don't know about mtb ones but I had a a Dainese moto one ages ago that had this, it worked up to a point but wasn't terribly comfortable.

The POC spine protector is excellent though. I have one and it's excellent at absorbing impacts, it's a little bit like landing on a damper, as opposed to hard shell plastic ones that that take the blow full force. Still doesn't really protect against over extension though.

mtbr member
    I use Deuter Attack pack.Good option if you need or want to ride with a pack and have some spinal protection. You have to get it shipped from overseas as they are not available in US. Backpack - Attack 20 - Deuter Sport GmbH & Co. KG

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    (according to their claims) LEATT braces and similar can help prevent flexion injuries to the neck by limiting movement. Whether or not they work as claimed though is entirely up in the air, nobody has invested much time or money in the proepr testing.
    Yes this is my concern with the leatts as well

Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    The POC spine protector is excellent though. I have one and it's excellent at absorbing impacts, it's a little bit like landing on a damper, as opposed to hard shell plastic ones that that take the blow full force. Still doesn't really protect against over extension though.
    how is it for temperature and breathability? do you find yourself overheating on longer pedal rides etc?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Might want to also consider making sure what you get is compatible with neck braces in case you also decide to wear one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lmaranguren View Post
    Might want to also consider making sure what you get is compatible with neck braces in case you also decide to wear one.
    yeah thats a good point...havent really decided on that yet...it seems there a too many varying opinions to figure out if its worth it or not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    yeah thats a good point...havent really decided on that yet...it seems there a too many varying opinions to figure out if its worth it or not.
    Sure thing, if your LBS is able to demo gear might wanna look into the alpinestars...

I have that integration issue with the Fox Titan and neck braces, meaning theres none

AlpineStars, Leatt and others make compatible systems within their product lines, worth a look and might save you from the hassle of getting new gear or modyfying your existing one.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lmaranguren View Post

I have that integration issue with the Fox Titan and neck braces, meaning theres none

Good luck!
    oh that sucks.... perhaps the rockgardn is the way to go, it says full brace compatability...and pretty reasonably priced at universalcycles.com...
    Universal Cycles -- Rockgardn Flak Vest