Baby needs a new pair of shoes...- Mtbr.com
    I am Walt

New question here. Baby needs a new pair of shoes...

Well, actually, I need them. My Specialized Comp Mountains are over two-years old and shot to hell. And Dirdir told me they're completely unacceptable for a Team Eh? member. So I have to get new ones.

All I want is '04 or '05 Specialized Comp or Pro Mountains, size 10 1/2 (44 if you're Rex). I'm not a Sidi guy - too much bling.

Anybody know where I can find these locally? I'm having trouble.

Thanks,

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

MTBR Tool
    Supergo has the best selection of Specialized stuff as far as I know - sizes 40-48 are well represented

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Well, actually, I need them. My Specialized Comp Mountains are over two-years old and shot to hell. And Dirdir told me they're completely unacceptable for a Team Eh? member. So I have to get new ones.

All I want is '04 or '05 Specialized Comp or Pro Mountains, size 10 1/2 (44 if you're Rex). I'm not a Sidi guy - too much bling.

Thanks,

Walt
    Superho would be your best bet.

But, don't rule out the Sidis....I've had Dominator 4's for the past 4 years, and they just fit better after every ride...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by DownHillFast
    Superho would be your best bet.

But, don't rule out the Sidis....I've had Dominator 4's for the past 4 years, and they just fit better after every ride...
    Supergo has hardly any of the Specializeds...
    Ride more; post less...

Dec 2003
    then buy the sidis....i've seen your house, you can afford it :-)

I am Walt
    then buy the sidis....i've seen your house, you can afford it :-)
    You're killing me...
    Ride more; post less...

Ouch, I am hot!
    I got mine (Specialized) at Supergo and its selection was huge about 8 months ago. Huge. They had em stacked high in one of the changing rooms. Try the place at Shea and Scottsdale. Not the Landis, but the other one. Showcase I think. Not that I have seen them there, but I have seen some other Specialized products at that store.

I have a pair of Sidis that are still fairly young and a pair of the Specialized. The Sidis are, by far, the most comfortable shoe I have ever had, dirt and road, and I have owned about 10 pairs of shoes since 1988. I use the Specialized for one reason - the toe box has better protection. I bashed up my toes one too many times using the Sidis. Can't recall a single toe bash with 8 months of use from the Specialized.
    I AM JUST A JERK

MTBR Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I got mine (Specialized) at Supergo and its selection was huge about 8 months ago. Huge. They had em stacked high in one of the changing rooms. Try the place at Shea and Scottsdale. Not the Landis, but the other one. Showcase I think. Not that I have seen them there, but I have seen some other Specialized products at that store.

I have a pair of Sidis that are still fairly young and a pair of the Specialized. The Sidis are, by far, the most comfortable shoe I have ever had, dirt and road, and I have owned about 10 pairs of shoes since 1988. I use the Specialized for one reason - the toe box has better protection. I bashed up my toes one too many times using the Sidis. Can't recall a single toe bash with 8 months of use from the Specialized.
    If you know your size - Ebay them... Also - Specialized has a shopping cart on their site I believe

mtbr member
    Supergo has hardly any of the Specializeds...
    I got a nice pair of Specalized something or others from that non-LBS that I won't name (cuz I no longer shop there ). I have had no complaints (they are the same shoe DirDir has).

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I got a nice pair of Specalized something or others from that non-LBS that I won't name (cuz I no longer shop there ). I have had no complaints (they are the same shoe DirDir has).
    You and Dirdir share shoes? How does it work when you guys ride together?

mtbr member
    Cambria Bike had them up on the Hot deals banner on the home page ('04s for $80). .... But, alas, no 10.5. If there was I woulda got 'em.

Ouch, I am hot!
    The same as when you and WaltAz share your tools.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    We're actually the same person, silly. Kind of like you and DJRider.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Cambria Bike had them up on the Hot deals banner on the home page ('04s for $80). .... But, alas, no 10.5. If there was I woulda got 'em.
    Did I say 10.5? I meant to say size 15.0...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Did I say 10.5? I meant to say size 15.0...
    They were out of those too... Now if you can squeeze into a 41(whatever that is in real amurcan sizes) you're in luck.

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    We're actually the same person, silly. Kind of like you and DJRider.
    dammit you figured it out...

I am Walt

Thanks,

Walt
    Found some Spec Comp Mtn 44's at Supergo for $109. They have a sale starting this Thursday, so I will go in on Thursday to see if they are on sale and, if so, I'll return them, then buy them again.
    Ride more; post less...

XC Geek
    Try Excellent on Bell and I-17, might be a little to West side for you but they stock Specialized.
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

Ouch, I am hot!
    Found some Spec Comp Mtn 44's at Supergo for $109. They have a sale starting this Thursday, so I will go in on Thursday to see if they are on sale and, if so, I'll return them, then buy them again.
    Sounds like an aweful lot of trouble. Maybe you could ask for the sale price on Tuesday for a Specialized Comp today. Better yet, just tell them that you will gladly pay them Thursday for a hamburger today.

Walt, thanks for this lovely shoe thread. Its almost as good as my lube thread.

I AM JUST A JERK

I am Walt
    Sounds like an aweful lot of trouble. Maybe you could ask for the sale price on Tuesday for a Specialized Comp today. Better yet, just tell them that you will gladly pay them Thursday for a hamburger today.

Walt, thanks for this lovely shoe thread. Its almost as good as my lube thread.

You're welcome...

Not much trouble for me...I work 10 mins. away from them.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Dirdir is exactly right on this one. I just bought a pair of Specialized Pro's there not one week ago. They price matched a Specialized website deal. You might want to call first, as their other store( I think in Tempe?) has a better selection.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Comp or Pro?

What do you guys think of the Comp versus the Pro in the Specialized shoe? Is the Pro really that much better?

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by vcyclist
    What do you guys think of the Comp versus the Pro in the Specialized shoe? Is the Pro really that much better?
    Not sure which it is, but mine are the ones with the buckle. One is already not right. I say get the one with the straps and skip the buckle. Other than the buckle v. strap and price, I think they are the same.
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by vcyclist
    Both the Comp and the Pro have the buckle, but the Pro is all-carbon and is $199 vs. $109 for the Pro. Not worth it IMHO.

I would prefer no buckle as my '01 Comps don't have one and I can see it failing pretty easily, but have no choice. The Sport is $79 and has three velcro straps, but it is ugly and heavy.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    don't fear the Bling -- I've got both the Comp and a pair of Dominator 4 Megas. the SIDIs are definitely more comfortable -- maybe it's the leather.

have to admit though, the sole of the Specialized is more durable when walking on rocks, etc.

the SIDI ratchet buckle is great -- if you're feeling loose, just stop pedaling, reach down without looking, pull up on it a couple of times with one finger --- click click click!

although, does the new Comp have the varus wedge? that might make it an interesting worthy competitor for comfort...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by V02 deficient
    don't fear the Bling -- I've got both the Comp and a pair of Dominator 4 Megas. the SIDIs are definitely more comfortable -- maybe it's the leather.

have to admit though, the sole of the Specialized is more durable when walking on rocks, etc.

the SIDI ratchet buckle is great -- if you're feeling loose, just stop pedaling, reach down without looking, pull up on it a couple of times with one finger --- click click click!

although, does the new Comp have the varus wedge? that might make it an interesting worthy competitor for comfort...
    Don't know re the wedge...

One of the big reasons I went back to the Comps is the durability of the sole. They have stood up well to hike-a-biking up and down lots of granite...
    Ride more; post less...

Ouch, I am hot!
    Check oout the website: http://www.specialized.com/SBCEquip.jsp?a=b

There is a Comp Carbon strap version that has three straps and no buckles and weighs the least of all. Its $160 v. $109 for the Comp. It also looks like they have a new buckle design for '05. I still like the Sport though. Much less money, probably de minimus weight difference and looks fine by me. Walt, "you're so vain".
    Last edited by Dirdir; 02-16-2005 at 09:30 AM.
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Walt
    Don't know re the wedge...

One of the big reasons I went back to the Comps is the durability of the sole. They have stood up well to hike-a-biking up and down lots of granite...
    Oh, and the Comp has that same sort of ratchet buckle.
    Ride more; post less...