"AV-input" helmet cams compatibility- Mtbr.com

Sep 2007

"AV-input" helmet cams compatibility

Hi everyone, I'm trying to rig up an action cam for MTB but I sure don't wanna spend $800 for some of the systems that are out there. Now I'm closing in on a combination of products here and it would be a real bargain if they actually work together.

One of them is the Hoyttech helmet cam kit. The other one is the Aiptek MZ-DV for recording. The reason that I think that they might actually work together is that I read somewhere in the Hoyttech website that their analog cams plugs into the AV-in on a camcorder and Aiptek claims that their digital camcorder has an AV input to record from VCR's and such even though none of the Aiptek's models are in the compatible camcoders list in the Hoyttech website. Now the Aiptek camcorder/recorder is of a cheap kind ($149) but I'm thinking its just gonna be used for recording and the quality is gonna depend on the helmet cam (I think).

So if anyone got any info at all about these products, if they can actually work together, or any other advice, It'll be great and appreciated if you can share it with the rest of us. Thanks in advance

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    from a quick look on their website, it looks like it just has an AV OUTPUT not input as i would expect from a relatively inexpensive camera. it also records on memory cards and the resolution is OK for Utube but would look lousy on an actual TV. your gonna have to drop a bunch of money on some big memory cards to be able to record much video.
    I would highly suggest doing the ebay thing or something to find a used Sony minDV player (most but not all have the AV Input, so make sure) in the same price range to use with the camera you want to get. Ive got a very similar set up to this and works great. the reason i say sony is that they usually have the AV input while most other seem not to, atleast that was my experience a couple years ago looking for a vid cam.

Sep 2007
    The Aipteks does, I'm pretty sure , has an AV input, they make that one of their selling points. But reading more about the product makes me not wanna go that route anymore. The recorder works but it seems like it degrades the picture even less than of a TV quality. I'm gonna give a try your suggestion and get a used minidv. Even the new ones are cheap now but they all seem not have an AV input (except for the $600 Sony). Or I can get a $250 new one and just find a way to strap it somewhere on my chest/shoulder area. I don't wanna put that big ol' thing on my head, lol.
    Thanks!

This guy
    check out these kits, they are 100% complete
    I have used and seen these, the resolution on a computer or youtube is good, on a tv it isnt so great. They are inexpensive though!
    https://www.rflimited.com/ShowProduc...D=31&NodeID=c2
    RIDE

This guy
    here is what is included
    http://www.rflimited.com/images/Prod...R-100Flyer.pdf

p.s. no i dont sell them or work for them either!
    RIDE

Members who have read this thread: 0