Attention fabric gurus. And anyone who washes clothing- Mtbr.com
    Hairy man

Attention fabric gurus. And anyone who washes clothing

So we had a funny thing happen in our house. My partner dropped a bottle of fish oil, which broke and spread a lot of fish oil all over the floor. She cleaned it up with a bath towel, which she then put in the wash. Now three loads of laundry and our dryer have acquired a brutal odor of fishiness and no amount of scrubbing seems to get rid of it.

Here's my point:

A) Anyone have any ideas how to get this odor out of cotton, synthetics, and a dryer?
    B) Never put fish oil in your laundry.
    We all get it in the end.

aka red
    Dish soap?

Baking soda and vinegar?

Good luck....

Mar 2008
    Perhaps baking soda and vinegar in an open container, mixed with super hot water will help with the dryer. That's how I deodorize my microwave and oven. Febreeze makes a fabric refresher that you actually use similarly to a fabric softener.

Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody

A) Anyone have any ideas how to get this odor out of cotton, synthetics, and a dryer?
    B) Never put fish oil in your laundry.
    Ooooooo.....Have you tried Clorox -- for whites and colors? That scent tends to overpower anything, and might "burn" it out at a cellular level. Ha. Might help with the dryer also.

Note to self -- no fish oil in the wash....thanks for the heads up...yick.
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

Slothful dirt hippie
    I do cloth diapers so I know something of the stink-battle. I would start with oxyclean added to regular detergent along with a SMALL dollop of PLAIN OL Dawn dishwashing soap... lots of gals have used it for 'stripping' diapers.

Sport wash would be another angle to try.

Also extra long rinsings in warm water.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Don't worry, be happy!
    Try the stinky bike gear recipe.

Biz goes after protien based dirt.

Soak in "Biz" overnight, at least 12 hours. this is an enzyme
    based presoak that goes after organic matter, not your regular presoak.
    Then, rinse that out and then run through the wash with a laundry product
    called Oxyclean, which is not an detergent it's an additive. You should be
    able to get that at any supermarket.

note to self, make sure to buy fish oil in plastic...

Hairy man
    Thanks peeps. I've already tried vinigar, baking soda, Backout and dish soap. Looks like I'll see if I can find some Biz and oxyclean. The Fred Meyers ought to have it.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Fish oil sounds like one of the toughest things to get out... good luck.

I've managed to get entrenched sweat stink out with a repeated cycle of coke (an entire 2L bottle), lemon, baking soda, vinegar (not all at the same time, obviously).
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

Seeker of Dirt
    My 2 cents: Since it's an oil that's causing the issue my guess would be that some type of degreaser product that breaks down oils would help. Ammonia is one that some folks swear by. Good luck! I hope you get it out.
    And at the end of the day, she smelled of dirt.

mtbr member
    One of the best degreasers I've used is Pedros Orange Peelz. The stuff is awesome with grease and smells like oranges. Much better than fish! Good luck.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Hairy Man, this is hilarious. Did you come to the women's lounge to get homemaking tips? I'll have to check around to see if you asked the other rooms this as well.

btw, I'm surprised the baking soda didn't work. Have you tried to leave a box of baking soda in it and leave it alone for a week and see if that improves it? Man, I can't imagine the stink.

Hairy man
    sfgirl- I know formica knows her fabrics, so I posted where I was sure she would see it.

Everybody- That is one persistent stink. It has been greatly reduced thanks to a prolonged BIZ soak and repeated baking soda/oxyclean/detergent washes, but is still noticeable. I strung up a clothes line and hung them up the day before yesterday, hopefully sunlight and fresh air can clear it up. My favorite hoodie smells like Pike's Place Market at closing time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My husband's not home yet,but he would know, being from Alaska, he has worked many summers in the fishing industry. And everything smells of nasty fish when you work 18hr days out on the docks. I guess a more correct statement would be his mom would know, but I will let you know what he says anyway.

Bike Matron
    Jul 2004

Various solutions

You are not alone! I googled 'remove fish oil small and stains' and many, many people have some variation of this problem, with a variety of solutions:
    http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf789978.tip.html

I used about 1 cup of "Right Stuff" Citrus Cleaner (orange citrus de-greaser) in warm water wash and warm water rinse. I had tried baking soda, lemon juice, oxyclean, simple green, and vinegar all at separate times. The citrus cleaner was the only thing that worked for me. I think that was by wash number 15 and I am not kidding. Those little fish pills pack quite a fish punch!

My son put a fish oil capsule in his pocket (omega 3). The smell is horrible. I used Mr. Clean antibacterial (about a cup), and soaked it over night. That finally did it.

I came to this site looking for advice to get that fish smell out of silk shirts. I have been a previous victum of the "smell". On limited time and a need for action, this is what my wife and I did. First we sprayed the shirt with Fabreze, next we washed it in Wisk Detergent, third we sprayed it with Fabreze again and let it dry for 1/2 hour. When I wore the shirt it did not smell like fish or Fabreze. Just posting this because it was simple, quick, and maybe it will help someone else too. (06/15/2006)

After working a factory job at a salmon processing plant, I thought my clothes were a lost cause. I've found that hanging the fishy clothes in the bright sunshine for a prolonged amount of time (I hung mine for three days, though just one day made a big difference), did wonders for getting a lot of the initial smell out. The sun is a powerful odor-remover! After that, the washings had much less work to do and were more effective.

Finally, I tried the one suggestion to use Mr Clean Antibacterial. I filled the bathtub and put 1 1/2 cups of Mr Clean and Palmolive Oxy Dish Soap(1/4 cup) in the water with all her clothes and let them soak for 7 to 8 hrs. Then I put them back in the washing machine on warm water and no laundry detergent, instead I put 1 cup of vinegar in it's place. Also 2 rinses. It finally WORKED!

I tried everything, finally bought a product called Zero Odor and it did the trick! http://www.zeroodorstore.co

I had my husband do the same thing (washed pants with fish oil capsule in pocket) to my clothes and I am in the process of trying to get it out, Well I have figured it out. I went to the hardware store and bought LESTOIL. It is cheap and worked great. It smells like pinesol but just wash yet again in normal detergent and voila! Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ok, I talked to my husband, and he says soak them in Coca Cola, and then wash them. I guess that is what his mom has always done with their fishing gear. I hope that works for you. He did say that some smells just don't come out, but that Coca Cola does the trick pretty much everytime. Don't worry, it doesn't stain the clothes or anything either.

Members who have read this thread: 0