Astral Rasslers- Mtbr.com

Thread: Astral Rasslers

mtbr member

Astral Rasslers

So I picked up a pair of Astral Rasslers the other day and thought they might make a good biking shoe. They should have really grippy soles, but lack much paddling... but I really don't ride rough stuff yet anyway.

So, does anyone ride in Astrals?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I've actually been considering the Brewers which I think are pretty much the same only a low top version. Funny you mention a lack of padding as I would getting them for the additional padding vs riding in my old set of New Balance Minimus Trails that have virtually no padding.

I've ridding in my Astral Loyaks but only around town. They are definitely not suited for the trials. I'm interested in your thoughts after riding in them a few times.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, I am waiting on a new bike before I get on the trails...just riding my road bike at the moment, but I may just have to throw them on for a ride anyway. Loyaks are on the sort list for my next shoe purchase, I practically live in an old, busted pair of Porters. Astral is making some really good shoes with a great guarantee backing them up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Ah, okay. I'm patiently waiting for a sale before I pick up from Brewers. Looking back the original version would have been better as it had a flatter sole, patterned much like the 5.10 sole. But either way I do think they will still be good for mountain biking. I just can't bring myself to wear bulky MTB specific shoes after 10+ years of wearing minimalist type footwear.

This place needs an enema
    They are super comfy for spending all day in a boat, and pretty grippy on dry rock. Less so on wet rock.

The main problem with using them as a bike shoe is that they are pretty flimsy -- no support for the structure of your foot.

If you've got super strong feet and ankles they might be OK.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    They are super comfy for spending all day in a boat, and pretty grippy on dry rock. Less so on wet rock.

The main problem with using them as a bike shoe is that they are pretty flimsy -- no support for the structure of your foot.

If you've got super strong feet and ankles they might be OK.
    Can you clarify about the ankle support please? I am just learning about this stuff but the majority of MTB specific shoes I have seen are low tops that don't appear to have any more ankle support than any other shoe. That said I have never worn a pair of MTB specific shoes though. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    OP did you get a bike yet? I got some Brewers in this weekend and went for a short ride. They worked pretty well on my Crank Brothers Stamp 2 pedals (pedals size small with 10.5 shoe size). Since the sole isn't completely flat I noticed that a couple traction pins could sit in between the spaces on sole but I think they will work fine for me as I am not charging super technical downhills or anything.

mtbr member
    I just picked up my new bike the other day and it has rained every day since. Combine that with not getting home till after dark, and I have not been able to try them out. We are supposed to get a break in the weather this weekend, so I may sneak out for an hour.

mtbr member
    So I finally got out and rode a bit today on Westwood Park's intermediate trails. I was less than impressed with the shoes. I have Raceface Chesters on my bike, and it seams like the shoes were too narrow to make good contact with all the posts. I had a few slips and had to be real conscious about placing my foot to get as much purchase as possible. Ill be trying something else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Bummer to hear that they didn't work out for you. A little surprised to hear that they were too narrow as Astrals typically have a wider than average tow box. Best of luck finding something that works out for you.

Before I bought the Brewers I bought a used pair of Reebok Crossfit Nano 6.0 shoes that actually worked pretty good for what it's worth.

Members who have read this thread: 1