which armoured gloves?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2005

which armoured gloves?

Guys,

So far I've had a couple of respectable brands / models -- namely RockGardn FATE Carbon and TLG Apex -- but both started falling to pieces real quick, and not because of bad spills but simply from riding in them... They are comfy and provide good protection, but I can't afford shelling out $$$ every 2-3 months, so I want to try something different.

I've been warned against 661 CG and AXO (have heard the latter used to be good but then 661 bought them...)

The two choices I'm considering now are:

1. Specialized Fortress

2. RaceFace Impact

Any good or bad first-hand experience with either of the two? -- I'm after something that would last! If neither is good but you can recommend some alternative, I'm open to your suggestions.

Cheers,
    -Tomasz

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomasz
    Guys,

So far I've had a couple of respectable brands / models -- namely RockGardn FATE Carbon and TLG Apex -- but both started falling to pieces real quick, and not because of bad spills but simply from riding in them... They are comfy and provide good protection, but I can't afford shelling out $$$ every 2-3 months, so I want to try something different.

I've been warned against 661 CG and AXO (have heard the latter used to be good but then 661 bought them...)

The two choices I'm considering now are:

1. Specialized Fortress

2. RaceFace Impact

Any good or bad first-hand experience with either of the two? -- I'm after something that would last! If neither is good but you can recommend some alternative, I'm open to your suggestions.

Cheers,
    -Tomasz

A friend of mine likes the carbon gloves. He had the raceface ones, and has fortress ones and the 661 gracia ones.

out of all three it seems like the fortress ones are holding up really good.

The raceface he had were falling appart at the palm area from just holding the grips after about a year worth of use. no crashes or anything.
    So he took those back to the shop where they just replaced it for any glove that he wanted so he got the 661 gracia glove. they started to fall apart after the first ride. it seems that the little rubber pieces started to come unglued from just sweat soaking the gloves.

So he took those back and the shop replaced those and gave him another one just like it.
    So now he has two gracia gloves. figureing that it was probably just manufacturing defect and bad luck with the first gracia gloves.

Well it turns out that it wasn't bad luck. After the second ride the gloves just started to fall apart at the palms. still no crashes or anything. I am not sure what he has done with those gloves, but he just wears his old fortress gloves now and some other old pair of gloves that he has had for a long time..

I would recommend the fortress gloves or the Oakley gloves. I know several people that are happy with the fortress and haven't heard any complaints. I wear Oakley gloves and those like all the other oakley stuff lasts a long time.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    I've had my gracia gloves for about two years. I ride 2-4 times a week year around.
    The little tear drop finger tip thingys fell off within a couple of weeks, but the rest
    of the glove is solid. Lots of crashes (too many ) and still they are holding
    up well. The palms are solid and not a stitch out of place.

I like the look of the fortress ones as they look like they have more wrist protection.

Jul 2005
    Get the Fortress
    After riding with Fox gloves for more than 10 years I got some Fortress this season. Great glove, real good protection, still good airflow. Holding up good so far (I've been using them only for about 3 months, but that includes a week long trip to Italy and numerous bike park visits...).

Some Assembly Required
    BMW's nuff said.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I wish Dakine would hurry up and make an armored glove. Their construction seems worlds better than anything else I've used. I'm just over a year of hard riding on a set of their Cross X gloves. No other gloves that I've tried have lasted any where near as long. Even now there are only a few minor flaws (besides stinking like hell) and I believe they are from wrecks. I've always been a big fan of Fox and still am for many things but their gloves don't seem to hold up nearly as well as the Dakine's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    There not armored, but my mechanix gloves have held up for years of DH and xc

mtbr member
    The Fox Unabombers anre pretty nice. Maybe not as much armor as you want thouugh.

pwn3rator
    the nemesis project ones...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

made in Oregon
    garcia's here too. should get a season or so from them
    nathan

Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit
    I've had my gracia gloves for about two years. I ride 2-4 times a week year around.
    The little tear drop finger tip thingys fell off within a couple of weeks, but the rest
    of the glove is solid. Lots of crashes (too many ) and still they are holding
    up well. The palms are solid and not a stitch out of place.

I like the look of the fortress ones as they look like they have more wrist protection.
    WTB: Mountain Cycle 9.5 frame, size Med
    Goldtooth
    Custom Bashguards
    www.goldtoothmafia.com

Road/XC/Freeride
    Yeah I was going to recommend the Oakley's - choice of:

Factory Pilot v1.0:

or

Factory Pilot v2.0:

I'm on the Twitter.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    the nemesis project ones...
    yeah, the 'fist of fury' gloves are UFC approved....

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    ^Looks like those'd be great in Antartica...sorry, they just look real hot, no vents thick
    material but plenty of protection.

mtbr member
    I bought the Fortress a few days ago. No report yet from durability, but I love, love, love them. Very comfortable, well vented, and the carbon is in all the right spots. Feels like an XC glove most of the time.
    Santa Cruz Bullit AM build

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i have the 661 CG, and while they are very comfy and protect ur knucks well, the palm ripps very easy, expecial between the thumb and index finger. and the lil riber thingies come off very easy. so i am looking at the new Sombrio gloves, allthough they dont have the carbon fiber thingy, i have heard that they are very durable and dont soak up all ur sweet so it dont loose its grip, and give u blisters.

Road/XC/Freeride
    Just ordered a pair of Mace Gauntlets.

Haven't tried Mace stuff before or read any reviews but they look tough and breathable.
    I'm on the Twitter.

Road/XC/Freeride
    ^^ Gauntlets arrived.

Ordered a couple of sizes to see which would fit best - turns out large did (so similar sizing to Troy Lee).

Really impressed with the quality of the glove and the look.

Fit is quite good but ideally the thumb would be a little longer and not quite as much material on the palm (it bunches a little with me).

Still, very happy overall and the fit is generally good.

Recommended.
    I'm on the Twitter.

mtbr member
    Fists of Fury can also be used to knock fools out. These are the best armoured gloves out there!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0