Armor weight?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Armor weight?

mtbr member

Armor weight?

Hey all!

I'm looking for some help, please. I'm out of my "jurisdiction" with this stuff and need some guidance. I "need" to instantly gain 50 pounds.

I have some projects i'm looking into and having the ability to gain weight "instantly" for testing is a solution i'm looking for. Trying to gain wieght the natural way just doesn't work for me - my metabolism makes the Concorde look like a bi-plane. I burn-off candy bar calories just by opening the wrapper for cryin' out loud.

Best solution I can come up with, which would also be a bonus by adding the weight somewhat evenly over my entire body, is body armor. A FF helmet and all the trimings along with a hydration pack outta do the trick ..... I think?

So, to those of you that find the King Arthur look a bonus - what does this stuff weigh???? I've tried looking at a few sites but never find a weight listed. It's either an un-important spec or i'm just not looking at the right sites (again, out of my league here). Yes, i'm aware different weights with diferent products from different manufacturers will abound ..... give me an average ..... something ..... anything. Even half-a-clue qualifies as an educated answer to me at this point.

All/any help is greatly appreciated.

PATIA!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    I think your going to have a hard time gaining more than 25 or so pounds with armour, no matter what kind of gear your wearing. My knee pads are probably 3 pounds total, elbows are probably about the same. A ff over 3 or 4 pounds is going to get extremely hot and probably make it hard to ride because of weight on your neck. I suppose you could load a camelback up with water and other stuff to get it around 15 pounds, but that may really mess with your weight distribution while riding. Maybe a weight vest might be up your alley? I've used ones that allow you to gain 25lbs which is pretty well spread out and shouldn't hamper movement too badly. Good luck.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

TNC
    noMAD man
    What King Arthur look?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glad to Be Alive
    load weights into a back pack
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.8m/s/s
    I think your going to have a hard time gaining more than 25 or so pounds with armour, no matter what kind of gear your wearing. My knee pads are probably 3 pounds total, elbows are probably about the same. A ff over 3 or 4 pounds is going to get extremely hot and probably make it hard to ride because of weight on your neck. I suppose you could load a camelback up with water and other stuff to get it around 15 pounds, but that may really mess with your weight distribution while riding. Maybe a weight vest might be up your alley? I've used ones that allow you to gain 25lbs which is pretty well spread out and shouldn't hamper movement too badly. Good luck.
    That's it? Oh man, that's not enough. Meh, I won't complain, though - it would suck to have to ride with "that much" weight on one's body, so i'm thankful for the lack of weight fo armor users. (trying to be positive)

Weight vest? I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion. It's more HELPFUL than the post after yours.

As for the post after yours .....

Yo, T! Lookin' good as always, man. Hey, you might not have a sword with a pointy end that's supposed to go into the bad guy, but it's still a weapon if you're riding it.

What, no chest thingy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS

I need to be able to FINISH the ride ..... and without a broken back, thank you very much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Check out some sailboat racing sites. In particular, what you are looking for is a weight vest used for small boat racing. Years ago I took sailing lessons and learned how to sail these 1 person boats called "Lasers". They have a micro size cockpit, a very tall mast, and a toes strap for you to hook your toes under so you can lean way out over the side and keep the boat flat in the water, or at least keep it from flipping. The really serious folks that raced sometimes wore weight vests, particularly if they were on the lighter side. Maybe the folks that race iceboats have a similar product...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Check out some sailboat racing sites. In particular, what you are looking for is a weight vest used for small boat racing. Years ago I took sailing lessons and learned how to sail these 1 person boats called "Lasers". They have a micro size cockpit, a very tall mast, and a toes strap for you to hook your toes under so you can lean way out over the side and keep the boat flat in the water, or at least keep it from flipping. The really serious folks that raced sometimes wore weight vests, particularly if they were on the lighter side. Maybe the folks that race iceboats have a similar product...
    Now that ..... that right there is what I call good tech!

THANK YOU!

mtbr member
    sorry to screw up the sailing weight vest idea...I have been competively racing sailboats for years, and these weight vests are now non existent as far as i know (I've heard of them but never seen one in use or for sale). Main reason is they are not legal in races, and the are pretty dangerous...that whole sinking thing just isnt a fun idea

TNC
    noMAD man
    No kidding...I was kinda thinking that but figured that maybe they knew what they were doing. But you know what?...I've come up with a solution. Your little sailing weight vest will also be equipped with a CO2 cartridge that you pull the cord on when you fall in the water to inflate a decent bouyancy bladder. Well...wait a minute...the mast boom (or whatever it's called) swings around and smacks you in the head, knocking you out and overboard...you can't pull the cord...hmmm. OK, OK, I got it...you equip this vest with a water sensing device that automatically releases the CO2 cartridge to inflate it. Well...wait a minute...the mist and spray I've seen on these racing rigs will probably unintentionally set off the device.

You know...this vest is going to cost more than the sailboat...LOL!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Weight trainers sometimes use special vests to add weight for things like chinups. The vest is covered in small pockets, and you can add metal rods to adjust the weight. I'd guess that you could add up to 20lbs with the vest. Should be available from a bodybuilding place.

Why are you trying to add 50 pounds? Even if you do so, you won't be accurately simluating a rider who is 50lbs heavier- part of the mass of heavier people is additional muscle that will help them move around on the bike safely. I'm another rider with a metabolism like a furnace (I weigh 140) and if I added 50lbs it would throw off my balance so much as to be quite dangerous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Maybe I should take back what I said before. That's starting to look good (good = easy) right now. Could just be tired though.

One of my co-workers is into body building. I'll have to ask him about the weight vest. Thanks wombat.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO

One of my co-workers is into body building. I'll have to ask him about the weight vest. Thanks wombat.
    You might have to look around a bit for the weight vest thing. I've been going to different gyms for the last 10 years and only come across the weight best at one of them (people usually just hang a big plate around a weight belt).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ironwear 40lb FlexMetal Weighted Vest

there u go search that on google. you will find what you ar elooking for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J5isalive
    Ironwear 40lb FlexMetal Weighted Vest

there u go search that on google. you will find what you ar elooking for.
    Ding ding ding! A cookie is now being shipped to Johnny 5. I didn't know robots eat cookies, but who am I to argue.

(maybe I should just send him on the tests - LOL!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr Decade+

Hmmm...

In my calculation 64 cans of beer would equal roughly 50lbs.

64 x .355L x 2.2 lbs/L = ~50 lbs.

Imagine how popular you'd become carrying around this stash...

Shoot, I'd ride with ya!

Members who have read this thread: 0