Armor Suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Armor Suggestions?

(cross post to General Discussion and the Women's forum)

I'm looking for some suggestions for armor, shin and knee in particular, for use in general trail riding. My girlfriend had some really bad experiences with clipless pedals when she first started using them (a nasty endo that she couldn't clip out of, among others...), and has much greater confidence with flats now. Needless to say, she needs shin guards for protection from the the gnarly flats. These wouldn't be for downhilling, and she'd be doing a significant amount of pedaling in them, so I'm looking for a light, easily pedaled shin armor that will pretty much protect her from bouncing pedals. So far, I've seen these:

661 Race Lites
    http://www.vsportgroup.com/gear/pads_racelite.html

Rockgardn airframes: http://rockgardn.easystorecreator.co...neeShin_Guards

CoreRat shin guard:
    http://www.corerat.com/products/products.html

Has anyone used any of these? Anyone have a preference for some others? Thanks for the help!

Don

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbreda
    (cross post to General Discussion and the Women's forum)

I'm looking for some suggestions for armor, shin and knee in particular, for use in general trail riding. My girlfriend had some really bad experiences with clipless pedals when she first started using them (a nasty endo that she couldn't clip out of, among others...), and has much greater confidence with flats now. Needless to say, she needs shin guards for protection from the the gnarly flats. These wouldn't be for downhilling, and she'd be doing a significant amount of pedaling in them, so I'm looking for a light, easily pedaled shin armor that will pretty much protect her from bouncing pedals. So far, I've seen these:

661 Race Lites
    http://www.vsportgroup.com/gear/pads_racelite.html

Rockgardn airframes: http://rockgardn.easystorecreator.co...neeShin_Guards

CoreRat shin guard:
    http://www.corerat.com/products/products.html

Has anyone used any of these? Anyone have a preference for some others? Thanks for the help!

Don

There's another thread somewhere around here.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=38706

I think anything with a shell on it is overkill for basic xc protection... it's hotter, and heavier. I wear the 661 4x4's which are not on your list, they are light, and do the job. Veggie skins get hot and sweaty.

formica

DOH!
    661 Veggie Shins. I wear 'em all the time for XC. Love 'em. Yes, you sweat, but in my experience far less than with the 4x4's - which are the same as the Roach Indie's - which promoted significant fluid loss in the Utah summer heat.

If pedal bites are the only issue, then shin guards are enough; no knee protection required, IMHO.

Anytime you wrap something sturdy enough to resist impacts and abrasions around an arm, leg, or torso, you're going to sweat. It's that simple. To me, it's a small price to pay in exhange for not having my flat pedals perform home surgery on my shin bone.

the bomb

super hot

Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    661 Veggie Shins. I wear 'em all the time for XC. Love 'em. Yes, you sweat, but in my experience far less than with the 4x4's - which are the same as the Roach Indie's - which promoted significant fluid loss in the Utah summer heat.

If pedal bites are the only issue, then shin guards are enough; no knee protection required, IMHO.

Anytime you wrap something sturdy enough to resist impacts and abrasions around an arm, leg, or torso, you're going to sweat. It's that simple. To me, it's a small price to pay in exhange for not having my flat pedals perform home surgery on my shin bone.
    I have the roach indy, they're super hot! arms and legs imo (same as 4x4's)

i use the fox 911 leg armor now. Light and comfy.
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

Apr 2004
    I had the same problem. I still have some nasty scars on my shins, and I had even taken some meat out of the back of my legs. So, I invested all of $30 in the Fox BMX shin guards.

They have worked really well for me, and they aren't as hot as I originally thought they would be. And size was a big factor, the measurements on some of the other products were just too big.

Jul 2004
    Are these the ones? And you find them cool?

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremes_dad
    Are these the ones? And you find them cool?
    Yep, those are the ones. I got the smallest size and had to cut the straps some, but they work much better than some other pairs I tried. They are neoprene, so they are very comfortable. They are cut really well at the bottom, so they fit right down to my shoes and cover my ankle bones really well. I never even think about them when I'm riding. When I take them off they are usually pretty wet from sweat, but I think that helps keep my legs pretty cool when riding. They also pack really well, I have a small camelbak and I can fold them up and squish them inside no problem.

mtbr member

Thanks!

Thanks for all the help, ladies! We already have Nukeproof pads, which are the same as the 661 4x4's and Roach (Indy's?) pads. They are super hot and don't stay up all that well. We'll check out some of the other options that were suggested.

Don

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I use 661's 4x4's for leg & knee and the 2x2's for my elbows. If its hot outside they do make you hotter, of course. They breathe a bit but not enough.

If your goal is to keep safe from thorn bushes and sharp rocks this is the armor to get. I fell with all of my body weight and landed on my shin. It would have been game over without any protection but the 4x4's saved the day. You can get them for about $20 each(PricePoint, Performance, etc.).

Veggies (also by 661) are good, too. I have used the knee for snowboarding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use 661 4x4s too, they seem to stay in place just fine, not too bad heat-wise, light enough to easily pack up long climbs, but if I pedal a lot on rolling trails in them, seem to rub the skin off my kneecaps...

the bomb

yeah, but

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll girl
    I use 661's 4x4's for leg & knee and the 2x2's for my elbows. If its hot outside they do make you hotter, of course. They breathe a bit but not enough.

If your goal is to keep safe from thorn bushes and sharp rocks this is the armor to get. I fell with all of my body weight and landed on my shin. It would have been game over without any protection but the 4x4's saved the day. You can get them for about $20 each(PricePoint, Performance, etc.).
    I've litterally had heatstroke wearing them when it's 75 outside. They're crazy hot!

On a similar note, for the longest time, I absolutely refused to ride in just spandex, because crashing wearing chamois' just did not apeal to me (read scared the crap out of me .

This summer, I started taking my outer shorts of on extended climbs. I was amazed at what a difference it made. I've been on a few decents now too. Still don't want to go down in em though.
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

Members who have read this thread: 0