Armor Suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Armor Suggestions?

(cross post to General Discussion and the Women's forum)

I'm looking for some suggestions for armor, shin and knee in particular, for use in general trail riding. My girlfriend had some really bad experiences with clipless pedals when she first started using them (a nasty endo that she couldn't clip out of, among others...), and has much greater confidence with flats now. Needless to say, she needs shin guards for protection from the the gnarly flats. These wouldn't be for downhilling, and she'd be doing a significant amount of pedaling in them, so I'm looking for a light, easily pedaled shin armor that will pretty much protect her from bouncing pedals. So far, I've seen these:

661 Race Lites
    http://www.vsportgroup.com/gear/pads_racelite.html

Rockgardn airframes: http://rockgardn.easystorecreator.co...neeShin_Guards

CoreRat shin guard:
    http://www.corerat.com/products/products.html

Has anyone used any of these? Anyone have a preference for some others? Thanks for the help!

Don

Yummy
    My suggestion is to go to a LBS and try a bunch of different brands on. Everybody's shaped a bit differently, so the fit will differ for various body shapes.

Since you seem to talking mostly about leg aromour, look for:

Good coverage from above the knee to bottom of the leg.
    No discomfort while walking around and bending the knee at least as far as when you're pedalling.
    Good ventilation for those hot days.
    Make sure the armour doesn't move about cause it's useless if it doesn't stay in place when you need it most!
    Look for quality construction in fabrics and stitching so it'll last a while.

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just bought the Rockgardens in Medium on an impulse and haven't used them but they do seem to be pretty nice and protective.
    I don't really do that much rock work since those trails have become so tick infested so let me know if you decide on them- I have a new-in-bag set I'll sell you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    My suggestion is to go to a LBS and try a bunch of different brands on. Everybody's shaped a bit differently, so the fit will differ for various body shapes.
    Kn.
    I guess I probably should have mentioned before, but we've tried looking at LBS's and found they really don't have much to choose from / look at. We both currently have some pads that are branded as NukeProof, but I think they are identical to the 661's or Roach pads from a few years ago. They work fairly well, but they are a bit of overkill and she'd like something lighter.

Don

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

oh yeah ROCKGARDN all the way

peep the ROCKGARDN gear all the way. Best gear on the planet IMO. Plus one of the few companies you can call and actually talk to someone who know what their talking about.

J_B

Mar 2004
    danscomp.com seems to have an ok selection of shin guards

lizard skins makes a pretty good shin guard

Members who have read this thread: 0