Armor sizing Q ??- Mtbr.com
    Freshly Fujified

Armor sizing Q ??

After a couple of recent spills, I'm looking to get some elbow/forearm guards and knee/shin guards. According to the sizing charts, I'm on the cusp of a medium and large based on the size of the velcro straps at the top end of both types of guards. I could play it safe and go with the large, but I'm concerned about the differences in length between the medium and large. My arms and legs are on the short side (I'm 5'9") and I'm afraid that while the velcro fit will be better, the overall length of the forearm and shin portions of the armor will be too long.

I'm considering Fox 911 and 661 Race armor, so any insights regarding the issue of sizing, comfort and protection are appreciated. Keep in mind I'm not looking for the very best, but bang for the buck, comfort and some protection. I'm only doing XC riding, but have whacked my forearms pretty bad in the last couple rides and am not looking forward to another painful spill, or worse yet, broken bones.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Best bet is to try the gear on before you buy. I initially purchased most of my armor online for convience and savings only to find poor fitiment. Everyones body is different so 100 people may praise the ie. Roach FR, I did not like the fit one bit. Find an LBS that stocks the gear and try it on. If there are none find an online source that has a bullitproof return and order a bunch and return what doesn't fit or is just wrong. My personal experince with many pads - Dainese Pro's knee's are super comfortable for XC / trail use but I would not use them for FR/DH . Elbows are a little easier to buy because they don't have to move llike legs. I use Fox comps for trail use. Don't skimp on armor as you will be reluctant to use foor fitting / quality gear - I spent $80 on my Dainese Pro's but the comfort / quality was well worth it.

Oct 2005
    Why would you not use them for FR/DH?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillmoe Slim
    Why would you not use them for FR/DH?
    If you put a set of the Dainese Pro's next to say a Fox 911, Roach, 661 4x4 they have less knee and shin protection - I guess there is a reason they are so comfortable. I run the Fox 911's for DH but for trail / pedalling the chafe and are too large.

ride hard take risks
    Check your local moto shop that has MX bikes they usually have a better selection than a LBS would.

ride hard take risks
    Guess none of these fools know anything about pads!!

Glad to Be Alive
    I answered your PM......good luck
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0