Armor for regular trailbiking- Mtbr.com

Oct 2006

Armor for regular trailbiking

Earth calling airborne DH xperts... Come in:

I was wondering what u folks think about protection while riding trails on a normal XC bike. Do you wear any? Do you need any? Spine, shin, elbow etc. Is it too hot when you bike for 2 hours in the spring/summer?

Jun 2005
    riding trails on an xc bike, all i wear in terms of protection is gloves and helmet. anything else is just plain unneccessary.

Is flexy
    I would suggest the obvious...gloves and helmet. With that being said I usually ride my fr bike when doing xc too and jump on and off anything I can find so shin guards are helpfull for slipping off the pedal. I find a lot of pedaling with knee/shin combos a little annoying but would highly suggest shin protection of some sort. If you are riding clipless then you prob wont need them though.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyTiger
    Earth calling airborne DH xperts... Come in:

I was wondering what u folks think about protection while riding trails on a normal XC bike. Do you wear any? Do you need any? Spine, shin, elbow etc. Is it too hot when you bike for 2 hours in the spring/summer?
    like the others, if it's a true xc ride, I really don't do armor - there are exceptions - but I have a Dakine Nomad pack that easily carries pads etc. - so on occasion I will take some leg armor - but that's usually the extent (other than the obvious helmet & gloves) - some trails I take the leg armor for protection from plants - nothing like ripping down a trail and having your legs shredded...

I would take a look at something like the 661 Kyle Straight's - a soft pull-on knee protection that is probably a bit more comfortable than others - and would fit in any pack easily

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i've seen dudes get destroyed on simple XC rides.. broken bones, faces, etc..
    that's why they call them accidents :P

so, wear as much protection as you feel is necessary to give you solid confidence on the trail.. 'cause that's the only way you'll have fun, if you're agressively charging the trail with maximum confidence, not if you're riding in fear of crashing and hurting yourself, that's a sure way to the hospital.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    I find a lot of pedaling with knee/shin combos a little annoying but would highly suggest shin protection of some sort
    Agreed for sure... I have a good pair of DH shin/knee protection that sucks to pedal in.

For playing around I still think the basic one-size-fits-all basic Fox shin/knee armor is sweet. Costs about $20, pretty good coverage, and no straps above the knee means minimal pedaling interference. They can shift around on hard get-offs, but will save you from banging your knees on the stem or TT, and also will protect you from the occasional pedal slip.

JMH

mmm bacon

my .02

I guess it's a matter of preference as well as if you have health insurance or not. Last season I had no health insurance, I wore more than probably necessary. I think for some, knees and elbows are worthwhile. As stated above packing the pads on the way up to wear on the way down.
    Last season we were at Brianhead and three of our party rode Blowhard sweet ride if you haven't done it. If you know the trail as you come out of the more technical upper section, just before the gate you have some high speed corners in a gently decending open field, one of our party washed her front wheel and clipped her pedal, I was the trailer of the group. She hit harder than I have ever seen anyone hit before in person, a wicked elbow strike. I think that the elbow pads really saved us from a long walk out or a really expensive extraction. Granted Blowhard is not your average XC ride but the section that she wrecked in could have been "anytrail, U.S.A.". I'll probably get flamed for finding the bad in biking but I prefer to ride than not, so yeah to answer your question bring the pads use them if you want it could save your ass. Sorry about the rant the doc still won't let me ride after my surgery, 5 weeks!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    depends how fast...but knee/shin guards and helmet/gloves
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Some dude who digs bikes
    Sometimes I carry knee pads and put them on for fast/rocky descents. It seems like you can hurt your knees a lot worse if you fall on an open, fast, rocky road vs. a slower technical descent. But most of the time, helmet, gloves, long sleeves (varying thickness depending on heat, saves skin).

mtbr member
    When I am riding XC I usally just wear the following:
    Shoes, socks, Gloves, helmet, maybe glasses and a condom.

Some newspaper and duct tape can do a good job keeping the shins safe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I ride trail not true XC stuff. I use gloves, fullface (usually) & knee (TLD T-Bone). I've got a couple jobs that require show up in one piece to work.
    All about the ride

Jun 2004
    nah, I dont even ride with a helmet on xc rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The condom is an especially nice touch. I didn't think to try that one. After all...though might be tempted to stop and smell the roses on the trail you must remember: chlamydia is NOT a flower!

Oh, So Interesting!
    I never ride smooth xc, but if i did I wouldn't wear pads.

I think Blender nailed it, some people need pads, either because they wreck a lot or feel better wearing them. Both are valid reasons.

Unfortunately I need them, I hit my knee a couple times last year on otherwise "mellow" crashes and both times it took weeks to stop hurting. Bikes don't seem to allow crashing gracefully sometimes.

I bought the 661 Strait knee pads, they are comfy to pedal in, don't slip down, and offer decent knee protection.

Members who have read this thread: 0