Armor Questions- Mtbr.com

Thread: Armor Questions

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Armor Questions

Hey all,

We are planning a trip to moab for spring break and thought it might be a good idea to get some pads for the trip in case we're feeling brave and tackle some of the harder trails. I doubt we'll be wearing them on every trail but it's been mentioned they would be a good idea for some of the trails

Basically I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are on a more soft pad like the sixsixone 2x4 and 4x4 pads if those would be enough or if going to a full blown pad like the roach FR series is the way to go.

Todd

Frequent Crasher
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=4164 Is a thread I recently started and I got some good answers.
    SB

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddM
    Hey all,

We are planning a trip to moab for spring break and thought it might be a good idea to get some pads for the trip in case we're feeling brave and tackle some of the harder trails. I doubt we'll be wearing them on every trail but it's been mentioned they would be a good idea for some of the trails

Basically I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are on a more soft pad like the sixsixone 2x4 and 4x4 pads if those would be enough or if going to a full blown pad like the roach FR series is the way to go.

Todd

I've never been to Moab, but I do own both of the pads you're looking at.

661's are great pads. Great coverage and protect very well. They can take a pretty hefty hit, so don't worry about this. They are also dirt cheap if $$ is an issue. The only negative thing I can say about them is they are hot. I mean really hot... I sweat a a lot in them.

Roach FR: As happy as I am with the 661's, the Roaches are much better. More comfortable, better fit (for me at least), and heat isn't a problem with these. I like my FR's so much I'll probably never strap on the 661's again.

So to sum it up I would suggest, $$ permitting, get the Roach's and don't look back. Otherwise the 661's are a good, less expensive alternative. Of course, this is assuming you're happy with the fit of each because this varies from rider to rider.

Feb 2004

True DAT 661 IS AIGHT, BUT YOU WILL SWEAT YOUR ARSE OFF! I LIVE IN VEGAS AND PROBABLY SIMILAR TEMPERATURES AND ABSOLUTELY DIE IN THEM, A LITTLE TOO MOCH COVERAGE POSSIBLY LOOK AT SOME OF THE FOX SHAT.
    THE PRICES ON 661 GEAR IS INSANE, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND, BUT BE FOREWARNED YOU WILL SWEAT!

Good Luck Man!

J-mizzle

Feb 2004
    Totally agree, I have the 661 4x4 knee shinguards, I sweat my ass off in these things when it's 35 degress! The desert would be nuts in these things, think I would chance it without them or at least carry them in a pack and put them on when it gets hairy.

Jan 2004

Idea! Roach...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddM
    Hey all,

Todd
    Todd hi; my vote goes for the Roach DH model they have a knee centering system that keep the pad's from moving around when pedeling, there cool (it's winter in Or. so I have to wear something under them), they also protect the back of the leg, there light weight, and they don't bind up when in the sitting or standing position riding! Price is middle of the road, and I'm very happy with mine.........
    Oh, one more thing; they can take a lick'n an your legs will keep on tick'n

Members who have read this thread: 0