Armor questions- Mtbr.com

Thread: Armor questions

Powered by ice cream.

Armor questions

I don't Free ride, or downhill, but I figured this was the board to ask this question. I basically ride technical singletrack on a 5 inch "trail" bike. No jumps or big air, occasional 2-3 ft drop. I like technical climbs, and REALLY enjoy flying back down. I am generally a finesse rider and don't go crash too often, but I'm getting sick of the trail rash I tend to get on my knees and elbows when I do go down.

I am not a racer, but ride as fast up and down as my fitness will let me.

I have been thinking about getting some armor, but really have no idea where to start. What I need is something to prevent the skin abrasions on my elbows/knees. Hopefully not too heavy, or too hot (Arizona riding). Comfort is important as I'd like to be able to wear it all the time when riding.

Is there something like "light armor" out there or is it all heavy duty stuff?

Can anyone help with suggestions? Thanks.

Out Of Control
    Try out the lizard skins shin guards...they are pretty light weight and will save yer ass from getting skinned up.

Jan 2004
    plenty of light armor out there, especially the DH race stuff ironically. Basically there are two types, hard shell and soft shell, where the soft stuff generally covers more surface area and more there to prevent abrasions rather than hard impacts, but can also be hotter too depending on the design.

Plenty to choose from, with some overlap in designs: Dainese, 661, Roach, Rockgrden, Mace, Fox etc. Being a reviews site, a good place to start looking is http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/pads/

Xtremely Moderate
    Roach Rally FR's. Hard shell, not terribly hot, cozy to pedal in.

After I got these things, I realized what a dummy I was for not getting them years before even for just trail riding.

I had a low (I mean real low) speed crash on some rocks 5 miles out in the desert near Las Vegas and got slashed to the shin bone.

Could have been prevented. Not to mention all the other scars I have.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

DOH!
    Look at Core Rat, too, especially the forearm armor. I've been wearing it for XC/trail/DJ for several seasons now, and have never been disappointed in the performance. It's also the coolest (temp-wise) stuff I've ever worn. The Burly knee is also a great performer. Never tried the shin pads, though. I wear 661 Veggie shins for everything but DH, for which I switch to something with a hard shell (Roach FR/DH, Rockgardn, etc).