Armor for the ladies

Printable View

  • 09-14-2009
    godfather
    Armor for the ladies
    So my wife has taken the plunge into DH and she's having a blast. She's outriding her FS xc/trail bike so we have a Transition Syren on the way. Now it's time to get some serious protection too. She has tried on a bunch of torso armor with little success. The Unisex/men's stuff just doesn't fit quite right. The 661 Core Saver wasn't terrible, and the TLD Rincon was semi-close, but I'd like to find something with a better fit for her frame. I'm wondering what the ladies out there are rocking.

    FWIW, my wife is about 5' 2" and around 130 pounds. She wears a medium to large women's t-shirt. She fits nicely into a women's medium MX jersey, but would probably be in a large to get the armor underneath it. The women's IXS looks really nice, but I can't find much info on it, not sure if it's even distributed in the states. the only other women'd specific product that I have run across is the Rockgardn peice. Anyone have any experience with these or any other protection for the girls?
  • 09-14-2009
    SteveUK
    Raceface make women-specific guards. My partner uses the knee/shin guards and likes them a lot - very comfortable for climbs and yet susbstantial enough to give her the confidence to go down on her knees (if you pardon the expression!!) if she needs to.
  • 09-14-2009
    godfather
    We actually have her knee/shin guards squared away, and elbows too (Fox launch for both) if we don't find a complete upper body suit. The torso protection seems to be the more difficult thing at the moment.
  • 09-14-2009
    Scimitar
  • 09-14-2009
    backcountryislife
    My wife just came from using a 661 pressure suit, that never fit her right, to a set that we got from Winter Park resort. She loves the new stuff, she says the fit over all, waist, elbows, chest is MUCH better. Now for the fun part... I don't know the brand, it's black with pink plastic, I'll look tonight.

    She wears her armor for Sledding in the winter nearly every day so finding a top that works for her was a really big deal for us.

    FYI, my wife is 5'1-5/8":D and is around 110 lbs but large chest so she has trouble finding stuff that fits.

    I'll look to see what brand it is tonight.
  • 09-14-2009
    godfather
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by backcountryislife
    My wife just came from using a 661 pressure suit, that never fit her right, to a set that we got from Winter Park resort. She loves the new stuff, she says the fit over all, waist, elbows, chest is MUCH better. Now for the fun part... I don't know the brand, it's black with pink plastic, I'll look tonight.

    She wears her armor for Sledding in the winter nearly every day so finding a top that works for her was a really big deal for us.

    FYI, my wife is 5'1-5/8":D and is around 110 lbs but large chest so she has trouble finding stuff that fits.

    I'll look to see what brand it is tonight.

    Sounds like the Rockgardn peice posted above, which is one I had come across in my search, but there aren't any shops around that carry it. We even hit a bunch of Seattle shops over the weekend, as we were on the west side, with little luck. It's good to hear from people who actually own and use the stuff to at least get an idea of fit and performance.
  • 09-14-2009
    michaelsnead
    +1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Scimitar

    Hi Folks,

    My wife has been using the RockGardn Lady Flak Jacket for the last three seasons. She is 5í 2Ē, 140 lbs and is using the Medium size one. It fits well and has protected her on numerous falls. We highly recommend it!

    Take care,

    Michael:thumbsup:
  • 09-14-2009
    godfather
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by michaelsnead
    Hi Folks,

    My wife has been using the RockGardn Lady Flak Jacket for the last three seasons. She is 5í 2Ē, 140 lbs and is using the Medium size one. It fits well and has protected her on numerous falls. We highly recommend it!

    Take care,

    Michael:thumbsup:

    Michael,
    Thanks for the info. It's definitely one that I'm considering for her. My wife is small in size, with a little bit larger rib cage, but small chest. Looking at the recommended sizing, I would think she is closer to small, but your wife's height and weight are pretty close to hers. Is the medium at all loose, or is it pretty "form fitting"?

    Is anyone using one of these, or any other women's armor with a Leatt? My wife will be riding with the neck brace as well. Just want to make sure there won't be any serious interference issues. It looks like the Rockgardn jacket has a separate spine guard, so the brace should be able to slide in between the spine guard and mesh "jacket". We might have to cut the slit into her jerseys to make everything work, but it should.
  • 09-14-2009
    IttyBittyBetty
    Another vote for the woamn's rockgardn
    I have the Lady RockGardn Flak Jacket and really like it. It has a lot of adjustable straps to allow the wearer to adjust it for different chest sizes. I did have to make some modifications to the elbow guards - they pressed into my forearms in a way that caused discomfort. Nothing a pair of scissors, a need and some thread couldn't fix!

    I too just started DH and I got myself a spiffy new Transition Syren as well. I am LOVING that bike and I bet your wife will too!
  • 09-14-2009
    godfather
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by IttyBittyBetty
    I have the Lady RockGardn Flak Jacket and really like it. It has a lot of adjustable straps to allow the wearer to adjust it for different chest sizes. I did have to make some modifications to the elbow guards - they pressed into my forearms in a way that caused discomfort. Nothing a pair of scissors, a need and some thread couldn't fix!

    What size are your in? What's your size and build? Have you tried on any other armor to compare fit? My wife has had on the 661 Core Saver, Troy Lee Rincon jacket, a couple of 661 suits (I think the assualt and pressure), and maybe one of the Fox offerings. The Rockgardn sounds like it might be the ticket, just need to narrow down the size.
  • 09-14-2009
    IttyBittyBetty
    I have a small jacket. I'm 5'1 and 115 pounds with a 32A Chest. The jacket is very adjustable and would fit a short woman with a larger chest. I have the straps cinched down as much as possible to fit me. I would worry about buying a jacket in too large a size in an attempt to fit the chest. First off, there's no need, since it is very adjustable. Second, the length of the jacket in the front and more importantly, in the back, as well as the arms, could be a problem
  • 09-14-2009
    godfather
    Betty,
    Thanks for the additional info. That's exactly the type of feedback I'm hoping for and is really helpful.

    I assume that by "problem", you mean the length being too long in the body, arms, and spine? Is that correct?
  • 09-14-2009
    michaelsnead
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by godfather
    Michael,
    Thanks for the info. It's definitely one that I'm considering for her. My wife is small in size, with a little bit larger rib cage, but small chest. Looking at the recommended sizing, I would think she is closer to small, but your wife's height and weight are pretty close to hers. Is the medium at all loose, or is it pretty "form fitting"?

    Is anyone using one of these, or any other women's armor with a Leatt? My wife will be riding with the neck brace as well. Just want to make sure there won't be any serious interference issues. It looks like the Rockgardn jacket has a separate spine guard, so the brace should be able to slide in between the spine guard and mesh "jacket". We might have to cut the slit into her jerseys to make everything work, but it should.

    Hi godfather,

    For my wife itís seems to be pretty form fitting and she doesnít think the small would be appropriate for her. If you call RockGardn there is a very nice lady there that can help you with sizing questions. That is what my wife and I did and she is happy with the fitting advice she received. She isnít using the Leatt neck brace so we canít provide any useful information in that regard.

    Good luck,

    Michael:thumbsup:
  • 09-14-2009
    IttyBittyBetty
    godfather - you got it on my concern about it being too long. You don't want the back of the spine protector to be whacking you in the neck/hitting you on the helmet. And you want the hard parts on the arm protection to cover the right parts of your arm, which a too long one might not. BTW - the problem I had with the arms was that the seam along the forearm protection wrinkled up and pressed into my skin. The plastic parts on the arm guards seem to be fine, so I don;t know why this bothered me, but it was an easy fix.

    The flak jacket is fairly warm, just so you know; no warmer than any other pressure suit, but if that really bothers her...
  • 09-14-2009
    DurtGurl
    Several of us DHing gals in Phoenix wear Dainese. I have one of the newest models, the V1, and just love it with the articulated shoulders, front zip-up, and back support with snug wraps around the tummy. I had to hunt far and wide, but did finally learn that the difference between a V1, V2, and V3 is the length. Also, I had to order thru a moto shop as none of the online bike shops had them in stock (although I'm sure your LBS could order it for you).

    As a very short-waisted 5'7" 145lb gal, the shorter V1 in size med fits me perfectly. I am far from "gifted" up front, but do have something B-sized there - with a sportsbra, I am quite comfy in my V1. Dainese is not cheap, but when I took a huge tumble at Whistler this summer I was very thankful to have the full shoulder coverage!!
  • 09-14-2009
    08nwsula
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Scimitar
    RockGardn Lady Flak Jacket

    this is better

  • 09-14-2009
    godfather
    nice looking, but I don't know if I could convince my wife to ride DH in that. Thanks for the input though.
  • 09-14-2009
    IttyBittyBetty
    B Cup!
    Are you bragging Durtgurl?!?!?;)
  • 09-14-2009
    rufusdesign
    My wife is about the same size as yours and she wears a small 09 661 core saver comfortably. We are still looking for a good pair of elbow pads for her though.

    The full armor tops are too much for her to ride in.
  • 09-15-2009
    hitek79
    Another vote for the Rockgardn. I picked up one just the other day, and we will be ordering one for my wife before next season.
  • 09-15-2009
    DurtGurl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by IttyBittyBetty
    Are you bragging Durtgurl?!?!?;)

    We don't call you IttyBitty for nothin :p I
  • 09-15-2009
    Jim311
    You mean Victoria's Secret doesn't offer a core saver?

    :p
  • 09-15-2009
    backcountryislife
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Stripes
    Being a female with rather large "overhang," I'm having a hard time finding body armor that fits. I'm limited to vests due to the large central mass, and I need to find something that fits with the Leatte brace.

    I'm the opposite of IttyBittyBetty. I have a very hard time finding armor that fits for the upper body.

    My wife is similar (she's a d, but very small otherwise) and couldn't stand the other ones she had tried, she tells me every weekend how happy she is with that rock gardn unit, she said the chest plate separates better than the other ones from the rest of the suit. See if you can find one to try on.
    She has been through 3 others that didn't work for her. She never tried the dianese though.
  • 09-15-2009
    godfather
    The Flak Jacket or Lady Flak Jacket should work as well with a Leatt as the Dianese, 661, or many other full torso jackets. As long as the spine guard isn't directly attached to the jacket at the top, you can slide the Leatt in between the spine guard and the mesh or whatever the jacket material is.
  • 09-15-2009
    backcountryislife
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by godfather
    The Flak Jacket or Lady Flak Jacket should work as well with a Leatt as the Dianese, 661, or many other full torso jackets. As long as the spine guard isn't directly attached to the jacket at the top, you can slide the Leatt in between the spine guard and the mesh or whatever the jacket material is.


    I just looked at it, it does have a separation between the mesh & the more solid fabric that the plastic is attached to, the leatt should fit in there just fine. That was how I slid one in when I tried one.