ARMOR? Do I need it? What should I get?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2008

ARMOR? Do I need it? What should I get?

Hey all, I've been riding pretty solidly for a year now - and am pretty athletic so I picked it up pretty quick. I find myself being more and more daring on the downhills, and feel I would be a little more confident with some shin/knee guards and some elbow guards. What's your opinion on "armor"? Do I need it? What is good, where should I buy? Fox? Let me know when you get a moment.

O yeah, I'm riding in southern california where the terrain can be steep, rocky, and dusty.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If it will make you a better rider and feel more confident then there is no reason not to buy some protection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The only issue you might have is you will get uncomfortably hot and sweaty if you wear your armor on the typical socal trail........

I have seen a few riders carrying their armor in a pack or velcroed to their bike's downtube on the way up the hill and only wear it for the ride down.....

mtbr member
    iv got 661 slight slim knees, and veggie elbow pads with a fox flux helmet :-

the 661 gear i got is not solid plastic like other guards on the market, its tough foam i guess or kevlar or sumfin, so its very comfortable, i do a long ride witht he knee guards on actually, they dont rub at all, the elbow pads i just put in my hydration pack cos they are small.

however if iam on a really agressive track, i borrow (will get my own soon) my mates 'the' helmet, full face dwnhill type, if its rocky and you like your teeth, you got to have full face, I have seen someone come off with an open-face helmet and smash his teeth on a rock and it looked like it f******* hurt a lot. I dont change my knee oe elbow guards for this, they are good enough, also havnt gone full armour either, unless u are just dwnhill riding, yes get some but to for a lengthy ride with all that gear on....you would have to be mad!
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am one of those socal guys who straps his kneepads onto his toptube or camelbak... depends on the ride, I bring em every ride... To me its well worth the extra weight to have the added protection, Im very active and cant afford any type of injury. I dont ride with elbow pads and if i were going to get some i might just spend the little extra and get a pressure suit.

I am one of the only people I have ever seen with these kneepads and I love em.
    http://lizardskins.com/products/view...&page_number=1

I have yet to fine anything nearly as comfortable. They dont move around at all, and you dont have to take your shoes off to put em on!

If i wanted elbow pads without a pressure suit I would definately buy their elbow + forearm guard...

mtbr member
    Well you certainly don't need it, but it is something nice to have. However just make sure you don't end up with a false sense of security (as sometimes happens with protective gear).

As for brands there are a number of good ones out their. 661's Kyle Straits (the new Evo's also sound pretty cool) seem to be pretty popular around here. If you want more of a knee/shin combo with a plastic guard, the RaceFace ones are popular. I personally have a pair of T.H.E.'s Storm leg armor (knee/shin with plastic guard), and although I've yet to crash in them, they have saved my shins and knee's from being hit by my pedals a couple times. I also find these pads to be comfortable even when pedaling. I don't wear them every ride, but I do keep them strapped to the bottom of my pack.

Something to keep in mind though, pretty much any form of armor will be a little warm, but with a good pair, you won't really even notice it until you take them off. If you can, go to an LBS and try on armor to make sure it fits your body.
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

mtbr member
    Those Lizardskins knee/shin look pretty good. I use 661's 4x4, a kinda similar product:
    http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...6-d5c805e2f055

I wear these for protection for the few times I get into a situation where I can't unclip fast enough, helps to have the protection when you tip over.

mtbr member
    if you are riding flat pedals at all i would recommend knee/shin armor i even wear some doing techy xc i wear mine because i hate shin-burgers from my flats

Ride the dream
    In honesty, most of us rarely (if ever) need protection - however, having it on gives you the guts/balls to go and try something you're not quite sure of - it allows you to push your limits more easily, and that benefits you as a rider.

I love the KyleStrait 661 knee pads - theyre flexible enough to not hinder pedalling at all (you often forget theyre there after a while), and while I (personally) havent used elbow pads as yet, i've been considering it (and would go with something flexible over the more protective hard-plastic pads).

Members who have read this thread: 0