Armor Armor Armor- Mtbr.com
    EastBaySteez

Armor Armor Armor

So these past few months I have found myself going bigger and bigger my AM knee/shin guards just arn't cutting it anymore. Its a plastic knee cut with some thin foam covering half my shin.

So Im looking at full length leg armor. Im not worried about how hot it is, I do a decent amount of night riding in shorts so the extra heat will be welcome. All day comfort is a must. I dont care about looks, but would like the option to be able to put them under jeans. Would like to keep it under $50 or so.

Im looking at the
    Lizard Skin Softcell
    661 Race
    Pro-Tec Hucker

Not many people review/ use these guards so your input is welcome. Any other pad options would be great too!
    Last edited by Freerydejunky; 02-10-2008 at 09:09 PM.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Mi vida es bueno
    I'm getting a pair of these: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/130...-Leg-Armor.htm They seem to get pretty good reviews, and they're supposed to STAY cause the pad I have right now DON'T.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    that new 661 race looks pretty pimp!!! XD

Bike Hustler
    Man the only thing I've been doing more and more of the last few months is watching Biking DVD''s b/c all the rain the in PNW!!!
    SHAM-WOW

Mi vida es bueno
    Quote Originally Posted by LoozinSkin
    Man the only thing I've been doing more and more of the last few months is watching Biking DVD''s b/c all the rain the in PNW!!!
    I know how you feel! Sometimes the NW can suck...

Calm Like a Bomb
    i have the lizard skinz soft cell knee/shin combo...they are light, breathable, protect well, and don't move around...i really don't even noticed i am wearing them anymore...till i crash and they save my leg...only suggestion if u do get them is to keep the top strap relatively loose..

here's a review on them

http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/liz...in-combo-pads/
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    i have the lizard skinz soft cell knee/shin combo...they are light, breathable, protect well, and don't move around...i really don't even noticed i am wearing them anymore...till i crash and they save my leg...only suggestion if u do get them is to keep the top strap relatively loose..

here's a review on them

http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/liz...in-combo-pads/
    Thanks for that link pipes. That helped out alot. (I think he had the pads on the wrong legs though )

Im really digging the price.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

Calm Like a Bomb
    nope...the red tag goes on the outside
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

Feb 2004
    rather have some rain, than snow covering the trails 4-6 months out of the year lol

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    nope...the red tag goes on the outside
    ah, I just thought that the armor along the inside of the knee would be better off on the out side to protect your knee.

oh well.

And ya, as much as I hate the rain. I would rather have a few months of "dig" time than snow!
    Gamut
    Team Evil

Dec 2007
    i just ordered some 661 knee/shin pads my buddy has them and there comfy he wears them all day even after riding cause he forgets to take them off lol

Ricky DH
    Quote Originally Posted by splatman
    I'm getting a pair of these: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/130...-Leg-Armor.htm They seem to get pretty good reviews, and they're supposed to STAY cause the pad I have right now DON'T.

Ther Roach shin guards are hard to beat! They don't slide and protect very well.

N* Bomber Crew
    I have the 661 4X4 or whatever, and they're pretty good, but I'm going to upgrade to the Race's before the season begins.

The 4X4's stay put and protect a whole lot of your leg, but they get hot.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Jun 2006
    The Rally FR straps will stretch out pretty fast, and shift in an accident. the DH look a little more secure over the long run

I highly recommend the Troy Lee Combats in either the standard or Lopes versions. They're top notch in quality. My GF has had a set of TLDs for a while and they're in great shape, and I just started using the Lopes and never imagined a pad working so well.

We're both tall, and the coverage is great. with a high-top 5.10, I'll have total coverage of my leg @ 6'2

SamIAm
    if full coverage is what you want, then the 661 4x4 is your best bet. they are the mosted covered leg armor i know of, just no actually hard skidpate armor, its all foam with plastic inserts under balistics webbing. they are still awsome, they just dont slide as much on the ground
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Now with More Wood
    I run the 661 Kyle Strait kneepads together with a shin protector from Lizard Skins (a neoprene wrap around job with a hard plastic insert to protect the tibia) - this combo never seems to move around at all, and its real comfy, too (a bit hot but you said you liked that anyway, so...). However this combo wont fit in your $50 budget...

mtbr member
    I use the 661 4x4 2008. they are pretty good, and cover the whole leg, including the knee, the drawback is that sometimes dirt gets inside them from the top. otherwise, they are really great.

i eat rocks
    i had the 4x4, hated them(socal gets hot).

got 661 "whatevers" dont know but the plain design. kept moving like crazy.

then someone told me to get fox 911. i hate fox products so i refused, later at another shop some guy talked me into just trying them on. i liked them alot. and you can put them on and take them off with out having to remove your shoes.

first time falling was sweet. didnt move an inch, and i have chicken legs.

very satisfied with my fox pads, even though i hate fox.(the only thing i have from them)

Professional Troll
    fox 911 are the best, period. I'm on my second pair. It's gone through 2 seasons and I bet it'll go through 2 more. I use them for everything. DH/FR/DJ/Street. They are glorious. I've actually fallen asleep in them a number of times they are so comfy. Plus they don't move much, unless you like slide across rocks. (The first ones getting ruined are my fault, well only the right one got ruined....)

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by V.P.
    I use the 661 4x4 2008. they are pretty good, and cover the whole leg, including the knee, the drawback is that sometimes dirt gets inside them from the top. otherwise, they are really great.

Those are the ones I have. They're really good for protection wise. They stay on really well also, and the best thing is that they fit well and they aren't heavy or bulky.

But...they get so flipping hot. Whenever I take them off after a day of Northstar riding my legs are a flippin swamp. Gross.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

...idios...
    Do you get Dainese gear in the US? I use these knee/shin guards, and very comfortable they are, too.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

EastBaySteez
    Im trying to stay away from the 4x's from 661, correct me if Im wrong but the back isnt open its a sleeve. I dont mind heat but the pads I have are a smaller toned down version of the 4x's and they are hot as hell.

So I would have to say no to the 4x4's Anything that has a sleeve to slide your leg into I'd like to stay away from. Been there done that, not fun to try to get your sweaty leg outa a lycra sleeve....

How bout the 08 Rockgardn Landing Zone
    Gamut
    Team Evil

Aug 2006
    I'm loving my TLD Lopes! Highly recommended, but the sewing on one of the velcro attachments ripped in a few weeks of use...Not a big deal, just have to "unwrap" so to speak the rolled up padding before rides. Minor inconvenience at most.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Do you get Dainese gear in the US? I use these knee/shin guards, and very comfortable they are, too.
    i second that, been using the dainese for the past 3-4 seasons no plans to change them yet, great protection and breath quite well.

mtbr member
    I've been using the 661's race pads for two seasons and they definately hold up. They stay in place fairly well around the shin, the knee seems to be a bit bulky with the material used (or maybe just the design). When you're straight legged they're great, but bend the knee and it just feels a bit bulky and cumbersome. I have no idea how the 08 version feels, and I'm by no means saying these are bad pads... I really like mine, thats just the minor issue I have with them.

On a sidenote, I am digging the Troy Lee two stage pad system... light inner pad for xc that can have the hard shell pad added for dh. I don't really know why its the Brian Lopes "signature" model as I've got friends who've been using that system long before they decided to give it that name, but I guess Troy Lee wants to market these as being the best of the best of the best of the best. From what I hear they are pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I mostly use the Race Face rally freeride - they are long enough to hit the top of my 5.10 shoes, which keeps them from slipping down - good coverage for the front

but when riding Shore type stunts, I tend to pull out my Hoot's knee/shin guards - really beefy protection plus they have a plate that covers the back of your calf - which is great for pedals kicking up and tearing your calf apart and also if you crash on wooden stunts, they give some protection for the back of the leg
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    The Rally FR straps will stretch out pretty fast, and shift in an accident. the DH look a little more secure over the long run

I highly recommend the Troy Lee Combats in either the standard or Lopes versions. They're top notch in quality. My GF has had a set of TLDs for a while and they're in great shape, and I just started using the Lopes and never imagined a pad working so well.

We're both tall, and the coverage is great. with a high-top 5.10, I'll have total coverage of my leg @ 6'2
    I wish my Roach rally FR straps would stretch a bit. I have had mine for 2 seasons and no stretching whatsoever. No slipping either. Saved my knee's a few times. They fit well and aren't too hot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    why do you need full leg when you run clipped??
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

American Icon

Roach

Had mine for over 2 years now... the straps did stretch a bit (at first), but the protection they offer is second to none. Have always held up well in crashes and have never slipped. I also have some 661 Tomcats that work OK, but have slipped down in a crash or two. Good for basic protection, but when duty calls... Roach.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

DH Knee brace/ knee armor?

Did some research, but I thought I'd ask you hardcores about knee support, w/mega protection for cap and the usual shin protection.

Presently building up 1st dedicated DH rig & going to give it a go this year. The problem is I have bad knees, the right has had 4 scopes. Although I can get by on some pretty tech stuff on my all mountain, I can usually ease up a little if I get "the pain". The pain comes from both the inside and outside of the knee when it's out of alien. The pain worsens under the knee cap in an off kilter landing. Both knee caps are extremely sensitive to the touch. I'm worried that this DH thing is going to put an incredible strain on the old knee at inopportune times where unclipping, readjusting or worse trying to bail would just not be an option. So, the Q: Any suggestions for a full brace w/padding? I got a custom CTI Ti brace back in the early 90's & although it still comes in hand...I hate it, it's just old & doesn't fit well anymore & I cramp. Plus back then it cost over a grand! I guess I could try to find knee/shin pads that I could get over the brace that I do have...but it's not too stealth, it's uncomfortable & so hard to get under ski pants, I don't use it unless absolutely necessary (x2 per year).

Just an old stoner who wants to be able try this thing of yours and walk the following day (or at least limp ).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    THE storm knee pads as well as dainese are costly, but fit better then most

SamIAm
    well there old stoner, have you looked at the 661 knee braces? http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...4-5bfffd6f36a9

they seem to have some protection built in and they have them in 3 different styles/pricepoints . but that would be your best bet i think
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanH
    THE storm knee pads as well as dainese are costly, but fit better then most
    Have you tried the THE Storms? Thats one of the options Im looking into.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

EastBaySteez
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead.

Im either gonna go with the 661 Kyle Straits or the new EVO pads.

which would you go for any why. The extra 30-40 for the Evo doesnt bother me. I dont skimp on protection.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

Members who have read this thread: 2