Armor- Mtbr.com

Thread: Armor

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Armor

So I just spent about an hour and a half looking over various threads pertaining to recommended upper body armor jackets and pressure suits, and am still undecided of what brand/type to go with. It seems there is a few main favorites by many of the riders here and include jackets like the RockGardn Flak Jacket, Fox Launch, Dainese (but very $$$), and the 661 Pro for a pressure suit. There are also people who opt for some more minimal protection in the RockGardn Trailstar and 661 Coresaver. One other jacket I have been looking into is the Alpinestars Bionic S 2 Jacket (http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_S_...p/650668.html).

My personal preference would be for a full jacket, as I will be using it for protection in MX (I race Grand Prixs) and for the upcoming DH season (it will be my first). I would like to have kidney protection like that which is incorporated in the Flak Jacket, but I am not sure if that is a best option as while there are many people who favor it, there are also many that don't for its bulk, heat, feel, etc. I like the idea of having the elbow/forearm protection, but it isn't necessary as I can purchase that separately. So mainly it is just the spine, shoulder, chest and kidney protection I am wanting.

I have max $250 (I would like to be closer to $200) that I am willing to drop on a piece of gear, so Dainese is most probably out of question. One of the main reasons I am finding it hard to choose is the lack of availability to try one on in person. I am 5'8" and have a "samoan" build, so I'm a little husky (chest measurements around 43-45").

Are there any of you all that use your armor for like purposes, and can really advocate for a brand/product that has worked well for you? And if any of you have a similar body build and can provide me with your experiences with armor, that would be great!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I use the RockGardn Trailstar, I dont see it as minimal protection. It pretty light, and easy to move in, i have had 661 bodyarmor, and I like the RockGardn better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Bad news: It's hard to online size someone for your build.

Good news: Your build makes you roll down the hill faster.

On topic: I'd suggest picking one to try, then calling the manufacturer or retailer and asking for sizing advice with your measurements. I've done it for hockey goalie equipment and they were very willing to help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a similar question as the op and also wanted so see if anyone has a helmet they use for both mx and FR/DH??

I want something that breathes but would also like to go with one helmet since I don't DH a lot or MX a lot, just a bit of both.

Thanks
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm very happy with my RaceFace jacket. Very adjustable, fit and quality better than dainese, for me at least. Dunno about price limit though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    661 Pressure suit. have had mine for about 1.5 seasons so far not much wear still in great shape. i have the one without the forearm protection. even on really hot days i never thought it got unbearable to the point i would consider taking it off (its actually vented really well). wouldnt even consider switching to different armor for the simple fact i have absolutely no complaints about the one im wearing. have eaten it pretty hard wearing this thing and i just seem to bounce off rocks and trees and not get really hurt, although i've been pretty lucky as well. I usually just order what size i think i need and if i get it and realize it doesnt fit right just order the one that will and send the first back. your still only paying for one but you get to try them on, its really quite easy

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would think that a jacket that provides the necessary protection for the high speeds of MX racing would necessarily be heavier and hotter than what's needed for DH. But I could be wrong.

I don't think your measurements are that unusual. I'm also 5'8 and only slightly smaller (42" chest if I remember correctly). My Rockgardn trailstar fits well but has plenty of adjustment left in the straps. I know you don't want a trailstar but I'm assuming the sizing is similar to a flak jacket. My riding buddy is 5'11 and well over 200 lbs, chest is probably larger than yours and he was able to find a pressure suit that fits.

To the dude asking about multi-purpose helmets, get a DOT certified lid and you should be fine.

StraightOuttaCompton
    my 661 sp2 suit fits me well and my chest is wide(about a 43). i am tall and skinny so its a little short and not tight around the waist, so it might fit you well.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    I would think that a jacket that provides the necessary protection for the high speeds of MX racing would necessarily be heavier and hotter than what's needed for DH.
    Yes, I am sure that a jacket desinged for MX in mind would be hotter and heavier, and thus I am looking at the DH protection for use in both aspects. I don't think I need the super strong MX protection, but something more than my flesh would be nice... I took a handlebar to the sternum a couple races ago, and almost knocked myself out...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools
    I have a similar question as the op and also wanted so see if anyone has a helmet they use for both mx and FR/DH??
    Thanks
    I agree that with the previous poster that any DOT certified helmet will do. I personally have a cheapy FF for DH cuz I find my MX helmet a little to hot and bulky for my MTB riding. But if money wasn't an issue, the Fox V3 and Troy SE2 helmets look like they would vent well enough and have smaller profiles than less expensive MX helmets (the Fox weighs in at 2.9 lbs, only about a half pound more than the Fox Rampage Dh helmet)... plus there is that BLING factor

Last edited by kalNhobbs; 04-14-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Glad to Be Alive
    I have always liked the Azonic Underdog.....well ventilated (so you wear it more)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I know you initially swore off the Dainese but I have to say that I would look more into it. I had initially passed it by because of the price but upon looking into it more found it was worth it. Then I found on Wiggle (link below) a sick price for it. I ended up getting the Gladiator Evo which has the integrated elbow, but they only have the Impact Jacket left now. I am about 5'10"-5'11" and a 42" chest. Based on the way that it fits me, with the ability to sinch up the waste compression belt I don't think you would have any problem fitting into it. They currently have a Large (same size I got) for $123.55. If you spend an additional $24.45 then you get free shipping...I got a new pair of grips that put it just over so it cost me under 150 for the armor and new grips. I have to say the shipping was amazing and took about a week in total from England. One of the best things about mine is the comfort. I have a few different pieces of Dainese armor and it is by far the most comfortable armor I have owned/used. Good luck!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Da...et/5360028793/

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Keep reading the other threads instead of adding to the confusion and asking more people to tell you what to buy.

RockGardn. Done.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

Members who have read this thread: 0