Armor- Mtbr.com

Thread: Armor

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Armor

Just looking for any suggestions on some decent clyde armor. I am 6'6" 280. In particular I am looking for knee/leg protection. I went down at low speed the other day in what appeared to be soft grass and ended up with holes in both kness. I usually have to ride up anything that I ride down, so looking for something that isn't too restrictive/heavy.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Floggus
    Just looking for any suggestions on some decent clyde armor.
    I just got a pair of the Roach Rally FR knee/ shin pads. A buddy of mine (6' 2", 185lbs) has the size XL, which were too long when I tried them on (I'm 5' 11", 265lbs). So I ordered the size large. It turns out that they fit lengthwise, but the straps aren't long enough due to my calves having a fairly large circumference.

I may have a local seamstress sew on addition velcro patches so that I can run the straps bigger. At 6' 6" you'll probably be fine with the Roach XL's, unless your calves are bigger than 18".

I've also tried the L/XL Fox Launch knee/shin and found them uncomfortable for extended wear. The straps were a little tight, but more importantly the X-strap system behind the knee was annoying while pedaling.

Hope that was helpful, YMMV.

Members who have read this thread: 0