Armor?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Armor?

Bad Case of the Mondays

Armor?

I see tons of pics on this board with people sporting knee/elbow armor. I bought some Roach Indy pads in anticipation for some nastier stuff next summer but I think I'm going to take back the leg pads. The arm pads fit great and I could easily climb in them if I had to, but the leg pads seem to just be too big to be practical.

Anyone have some suggestions on leg armor that would be more condusive to being stuff in a Camelbak for climbing or worn during climbing?

Not just famous; infamous

From what I hear...

...the new Fox Launch pads are great, as are the Roach/RaceFace Rally FR pads. I was looking for the Rally pads last year, but ended up getting the old Fox 911 armor. It fits pretty nice, but a bit warm for summer riding, especially the leg pads. The new Fox stuff is susposed to be more ventilated.

Of course, the coolest armor is not falling off your bike...

...especially when your Maxle catches on a branch 'cuz it's facing the wrong way.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself Very nice 575 BTW, hope to see it in person sometime)

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I see tons of pics on this board with people sporting knee/elbow armor. I bought some Roach Indy pads in anticipation for some nastier stuff next summer but I think I'm going to take back the leg pads. The arm pads fit great and I could easily climb in them if I had to, but the leg pads seem to just be too big to be practical.

Anyone have some suggestions on leg armor that would be more condusive to being stuff in a Camelbak for climbing or worn during climbing?
    Armor is for sissies.

I use the Mace leg armor but you won't like them either. I'll be interested in the answers you receive, I'd like to get some much lighter, cooler units that still protect the knees & shins and still stay put.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Time is not a road.
    I'm thinking of getting the 661 Veggie knee guards. I rarely hurt my shins except on pedals, but that would rarely keep me from pedalling again, unlike a knee contusion, which just sucks. DBB got me at least 4 times last year. Once I get rid of that big ring, no more chainring gouges either!

Woohooo! Moderator

I'll second the Roach Rally

I've been using armor every ride since a crash in '98 and I've tried several different brands. The Roach (RaceFace) Rallys are hands down the best. The leg part goes all the way down to your shoe which braces the pad and helps it stay in place better than others I've tried. Surprisingly, I don't notice the contact with my shoes.

I have the FR version and I don't find them to be TOO hot during the summer, although I have gotten used to the heat.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    the 661 race lites I think they are called and they would be perfect
    style is everything more like style is... keaton likes sausage.
    Scratchy Rat Racing more like stupid Rediculous Rectum.

I hate keaton and joey but love them so much at the same time

LOWER YOUR SADDLES FOR SATAN

Team Cspine

good deal anyway:

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Combo-Kit.htm

I'd be curious to know how the leg pads fit and if the straps were sensibly designed.
    Sorry what?

Now Uploading
    Too hot? Too restrictive? Well, anything is going to be more restrictive than nothing, but you'll get used to it, especially if you buy stuff that fits right, wear it a lot and break it in before you start complaining about it. I've been happy with my Fox 911 knee/shin and arm/elbow armor for a couple years. I'll tell you one thing I'm not complaining about, a year ago I walked into the ER a day after eating it on the Hogback. They told me I had a hairline fracture of the patella. The attending doc asked me what I did and when I told him and that I was wearing pads, he said show me. I got the pad out of the truck and he said yeah, good stuff, nice mark and without it I wouldn't have walked in and would probably be in knee surgery. I don't know for sure, but I'm not going to find out. I don't wear pads for every ride, depends upon where I'm riding and on what bike. But now I tend to ride very "lame" when I know I should be wearing pads and don't, and that's no fun, and a heck of a lot more restrictive than some body armor. And funny how I only seem to crash when I'm not wearing it these days. We're bombing through rocks, not playing with pillows, dress for it.

They also come in handy when your freinds sabatoge you and do things like roll pipes over when you ride through them...

Cheers,

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtbdirteater; 02-04-2006 at 01:13 AM. Reason: dumb pic
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

mtbr member
    I just bought set of Alpine Stars reflex leg armor. They are really nice and not very restrictive. I use the 661 padlocks over the knees.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbob
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Combo-Kit.htm

I'd be curious to know how the leg pads fit and if the straps were sensibly designed.

those pads are the worst!!!!! I had them don't fit good, alide down and they are hottler than anything else out there.
    style is everything more like style is... keaton likes sausage.
    Scratchy Rat Racing more like stupid Rediculous Rectum.

I hate keaton and joey but love them so much at the same time

LOWER YOUR SADDLES FOR SATAN

Still on Training Wheels!
    I've been rockin these for the last year. They don't have as much protection as the Roach's, but they are very light weight and breathable. They fold up small enough to fit in to my Blowfish camelback and they peddal rather well. I use these for everything, though admitadly I would like something a little heavier duty for shuttle days. These work perfect for the trail.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=10650

Just a little fit info. I have "normal" sized thighs, but skinny calfs. Acording to their sizing, I should wear a medium, but in using these over the last year I have found that the thigh cuff is more than accomodating, and will strech a little over time, However the calf straps fit way loose on my skinny legs. To remidy this I just X-up the calf straps. I would recomend that if you are border line on their sizing chart to go with the smaller size. This shouldn't be an issue for length because the shin guard goes all the way to my shoe.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Jan 2004
    EVS makes moto gear. They also make the same product in light weight, versions for crossover sports. Like MTB, BMX. I have had really good crash testing their stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Go with Core Rat

I've been riding with Core Rat pads for the last 3 years! I am willing to put money on it that they are the best pads out there. Fit great and aren't that hot on a sunny day. Saved my bacon many times (plus you can ride more aggressive and try different things knowing that you have them on). Actually bought a couple pairs from someone on ebay. Can't say enough about them (get great reviews here on mtbreview)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Are you talking about the Alpine stars pads? I haven't ridden them yet..

trail waggler
    Hah, I sold mine on eBay, kinda wish that I hadn't. They are nice, alittle bulky, but not too hot. Angie seems cool too!

I think that pads are good for Moab, or shuttle rides, oh, and Kristian's Palmer Park rides, of course!

Members who have read this thread: 0