Anyone use a snowboard helmet for winter riding?- Mtbr.com
    Sofa King We Todd Did

Anyone use a snowboard helmet for winter riding?

Typically I ride with with one of those headsock things under my helmet, but because of my enormous noggin, the headwarmer thing doesn't always stay put and tends to slide upwards, exposing my ears to the bitter cold.

And so some snowboard helmets caught my eye - I'm digging the buillt-in earflaps.

So does anyone have any thoughts of these helmets are bikeworthy? If so, any noteworthy models to look out for?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Typically I ride with with one of those headsock things under my helmet, but because of my enormous noggin, the headwarmer thing doesn't always stay put and tends to slide upwards, exposing my ears to the bitter cold.

And so some snowboard helmets caught my eye - I'm digging the buillt-in earflaps.

So does anyone have any thoughts of these helmets are bikeworthy? If so, any noteworthy models to look out for?

Snowboard helmets are so 2003.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Hey, thanks! That was so helpful. Really appreciate it!

rr
    I don't do PC
    I've used mine a few times for real cold weather, they get hot if the temps are above freezing and your body temp rises, not the same as being on the slopes! I've got the standard Giro one with ear flaps and no vents. A good head beanie with the helmet over it is just as warm and probably more comfy though, there are plenty out there that will stay put over your ears. The ear flaps on the helmets do a good job of keeping the ears warm though.

The Ancient One
    I use a downhill ski helmet when it's really cold, like <20F. Otherwise it's a beanie under the helmet or the hood of a cycling jersey I have.

mtbr member

winter helmet

Here's my winter helmet.Extra nice for pouring rain.When it's below 30 I wear a neoprene face mask with it.When it's in the 20's I wear my goggles,on the street!I always wear goggles in the forest.YOU CAN POKE YOUR EYE OUT!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stevirey; 02-27-2006 at 02:28 PM. Reason: pic

Your bike is incorrigible
    I've thought of the same thing, but I never tried it. But my line of thinking is, What's the difference between the snowboard version of Giro's Bad Lieutenant and the bike version? I don't think there is one.

Of course, you could always just get a super sized skate lid and fit a real stocking cap under it. Cheaper, anyway, and who's going to be counting style points when it's below freezing?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The Giro Cloud.9 SB helmet and the Semi mtb helmet are the same except for the former's cold weather features.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    My unvented Protec helmet is definitely ride-worthy, but it needs to be pretty darn cold (<30*F) or my head gets steamy - literally! For rides in the 30* - 45* range, I'll wear my fleece Dakine snow helmet liner (w/ ear flaps) under my regular bike helmet.
    - Joe

Adobo Lover
    I have the giro fuse, keeps my bald head rather warm boarding. I often have to open the vents which is easy because of the switch. I would think it would be too warm for my taste. A butter beanie(mountain hardwear) under my helmet is enough for me.

those are Rollercams...
    The BELL Citi has removable ear flaps, supposedly work pretty well.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Nat
    mtbr member
    I do. I can't remember which model name it is right now, but it's the Giro with the sliding vents. So toasty! I can't imagine it not being bike-worthy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't say if it's Snowboard or skiing helmet, but it's K2 brand for winter alpine sports and it's warm and comfy.

Members who have read this thread: 0