Anyone use a bmx helmet?- Mtbr.com
    Play all day

Anyone use a bmx helmet?

I just bought a new helmet for way too much money. I was browsing over at some bmx helmets and they're way cheaper, and super buff. I mostly do xc riding and commuting on the road. I'm just wondering if anyone uses a bmx helmet instead of the overpriced/overmarketed ones made for mtb and road. I figure that there's less ventilation..

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Bmx

I use a skater/BMX Bell helmet that I got at Walmart for $16. It was cheaper that most helmets and it's been good to me, besides, it's chrome!

May 2004
    I did when I first started riding because I liked the looks better. Than I got about 3 miles on the trail and was sweating my behind off. I had to take a break and get the helmet off. I got a mtb helmet later and thought wow what a difference. It's like air conditioning for your head. PS I only spent $30 on a past years model of a Bell Influx and really like it for the price.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Sort of. My favorite helmet is the Giro Semi. Fits me best. Protects more of my head. $50 retail.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    I use one, 661 Dirt Lid, for commuting, XC,basically any riding, in summer it fries my brain, but I can't say it's uncomfortable, I say it 'cools' better than my first helmet, ProWell Raptor.

Sure I don't look normal riding a CX bike with a dirt jump helmet, but GMDIDGAD.
    I'm getting a 661 All Ride soon, but I'm dishing up between the 661 and a Giro Semi MX.

Jan 2005
    I've got to agree with the other guy. I bought a semi last season after I left my previous helmet on top of my car when I drove off. It kinda looks like a hockey helmet with a visor. Special Edish but the best of both bmx/mountain in one.

Jan 2005
    I use a 661 Mullet, and I like it. My friend uses a 661 Dirt Lid, and he doesn't mind his either. They're great for 30 bucks.

those are Rollercams...

Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Sort of. My favorite helmet is the Giro Semi. Fits me best. Protects more of my head. $50 retail.
    My current favorite.

mtbr member

How hot is the semi??

Hey guys. I am seriously looking at the semi and am just wondering how hot they are in the summer. I ride x-country/trail and figured that a headsweat might work well with this helmet. I just really hate most mtn helmets.
    Thanks

Oct 2004
    Has anyone used the Giro Xen? It seems like it would have coverage similar to the Xen, but have a bit more ventilation.

Edit: Wow. I jsut noticed the price on the Xen. Not really a lower priced lid.

Quote Originally Posted by rfields4013
    Hey guys. I am seriously looking at the semi and am just wondering how hot they are in the summer. I ride x-country/trail and figured that a headsweat might work well with this helmet. I just really hate most mtn helmets.
    Thanks
    I rode a solo 12 hour last year and swapped helmets (Semi and Bell XRay) during the race. I found the XRay to be hotter on the climb because the vents allowed the sun to shine directly on my head. YMMV
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    Has anyone used the Giro Xen? It seems like it would have coverage similar to the Xen (Semi?), but have a bit more ventilation.

The Xen does not have much more coverage than most other helmets and much less than a Semi.
    mtbtires.com

Aug 2004
    I'm with Shiggy on this one. I had been lusting over the Xen after having ridden with a skate lid for a while. When I went to try it on, it didn't fit nearly as well as the Semi - and the Semi was half the price (at the time, the Xen was on sale). I use my Semi on the trail , in the skatepark, and on my 30 mile commute and I'm very happy with it.

Oct 2004
    Great. Thanks for the info.

I do not have many places to try on helmets around here, and I am leery of buying a helmet I can not try on first.

mtbr member

The Semi Rocks!!!

Thanks for the info S1ngletrack and Shiggy! I just went out and picked up the Semi and it is cool as hell!! Super comfy and a lot better looking than my mtn helmet. I have the .9, which is the snow version, and it is every bit as comfortable. Thanks again.

Jan 2004

Pryme

I'll be sporting one of these this year
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

I returned a xen

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    Has anyone used the Giro Xen? It seems like it would have coverage similar to the Xen, but have a bit more ventilation.

Hey Greenfix- I bought a Xen recently and took it back. I just could not justify the price for what you get. The coverage is similar to other standard mtn helmets and it has quite a "mushroom" effect (it sticks out to the sides a bit). I am sure it is a great helmet, but it is not for me. If you are after a lot of ventilation, the Xen does have a lot of vents, but so do a lot of other helmets that are considerably cheaper. I went with the Giro Semi MX and could not be happier.

the target bike basher
    i use them for bmx they are waaaay to hot for xc, so i use my full face and use my giro exudus for xc
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

Oct 2004

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rfields4013
    Hey Greenfix- I bought a Xen recently and took it back. I just could not justify the price for what you get. The coverage is similar to other standard mtn helmets and it has quite a "mushroom" effect (it sticks out to the sides a bit). I am sure it is a great helmet, but it is not for me. If you are after a lot of ventilation, the Xen does have a lot of vents, but so do a lot of other helmets that are considerably cheaper. I went with the Giro Semi MX and could not be happier.
    Thanks for the response. I figure the Semi can't be much hotter than the fiberglass buckets I used to put on my head to ride motorcycles.

Cheers,

GF