Anyone try Kona's armor?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone try Kona's armor?

I noticed quite a few auctions on Ebay for Kona elbow/forearm and knee/shin guards. No reviews here, so I really have nothing to go by. And if you have or are currently using them, give me some idea of how the sizes run and what you think of them.

Thanks

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonewild
    I noticed quite a few auctions on Ebay for Kona elbow/forearm and knee/shin guards. No reviews here, so I really have nothing to go by. And if you have or are currently using them, give me some idea of how the sizes run and what you think of them.

Thanks
    Depends on which armour. The old Kona soft shell stuff was flimsy garbage that would be unlikely to stay put. The new Slash knee pads have wrap-around back and hard kneecap - they are excellent. Hot but otherwise comfortable, good protection and they stay ABSOLUTELY put - they don't slide at all.

I haven't tried their elbow armour. I'm 5'10' with a short arse inseam, but I'm comfortable in large. If you have thin calves, you might be okay in medium.

Just roll it......

I currently use the 661's...

...I have the 2x4's for my arms and the hardshelled ones (can't remember the name) for my legs. They seem to work ok, but the leg armor is pretty hot. My girlfriend has the aforementioned soft Kona pads. They're alright for her but awfully flimsy for a big impact, IMO.

You should take a look at the new Roach FR pads. They have a hard shell, but apparently they are really well vented. I have a few friends with them and have been raving about them on recent rides that involve climbing (Mt. Fromme, etc.).

Cheers,
    EB

Canuck
    Mar 2004

I like it

I have the older 'flimsy garbage' Kona arm and shin pads - they work great. Never come loose, comfortable, easy to get on/off, fit easily on my small Camelback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys. I was able to go try on some of the new Roach FR armor and was really impressed. Since I would be buying the Kona stuff without the option of trying it on first, makes me want to pass.

Mar 2004

Launch pads

I have the Kona Lauch Pads knee\shin, they may be flimsy but they work great for what I do. The've lasted a long time, one of the better purchases I've made.