Anyone tried these wide shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone tried these wide shoes?

(Double post from the old farts forum - fifty plus - plus a bit in my case)

The specialized recon mixed terrain shoe comes in a wide. There aren't any in any of the shops around here so I haven't been able to look at them. I currently use Shimano M089 wide shoes but I find them loose to walk in and a little cheap - not surprising given the price.

Keep in mind that, as an old guy with asthma, I walk up the occasional hill and hills can get somewhat gnarly here in northern California. I want shoes that can climb the stuff I can't climb anymore on the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    (Double post from the old farts forum - fifty plus - plus a bit in my case)

The specialized recon mixed terrain shoe comes in a wide. There aren't any in any of the shops around here so I haven't been able to look at them. I currently use Shimano M089 wide shoes but I find them loose to walk in and a little cheap - not surprising given the price.

Keep in mind that, as an old guy with asthma, I walk up the occasional hill and hills can get somewhat gnarly here in northern California. I want shoes that can climb the stuff I can't climb anymore on the bike.
    how wide are your feet? my feet are 2E or EE in width. i'll look in my area for the recon's. how do you like the shimano m089s? im thinking about getting the m089s also
    2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle

mtbr member
    I'll give you my take on the Shimano M088 wide. It's not wide enough for me. The plastic sole curves up around the edges, probably because it's trying to cup the foot, and essentially into my foot. The volume of the shoe is fine and it doesn't crimp my foot, it's a size 45 and may be a size larger than I would need if I had normal/narrower feet. The blood circulation in my feet is fine for the summer but my feet are wood blanks in the winter. It's not ideal for me at EE and while it's wider than their normal shoe, I would hesitate to recommend it for anyone with a wide foot. Honestly, I think the normal shoe should have the wider footbed with the smaller volume fabric upper and it would fit the world at large much better.

I'm still looking for a clipless shoe, I had an old pair of specialized sport shoes that were great. But walking in them eventually broke the plastic footbed. My feet were wider than the footbed and the shoe was a 46, but the bed didn't curve up into the edges of my foot.

I would like to try Lake, but they are never around in my size or pricepoint. Sidi is never at my pricepoint. Scott shoes look interesting, but I'm not sure the BOA system would work for me. I want a tighter ankle and looser in the arch and toe area, where my foot is wider, and I'm not sure the BOA would allow that. I like the buckle and velcro straps or laces. The Giro Privateer may work, but I haven't yet tried it. I suppose I should look into spd compatible shoes that are not as stiff, but I like the XC style and prefer it to the more casual offerings.

So, the search continues for me.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i jsut spoke with someone from fiveten and he said the impact xvi cl shoe is the widest and highest volume shoe. so i might try that.

right now im running the sidi dominator mega(their wide last) and it seems to be ok so bar, but it's very stiff and a pain to walk in. i dont like how the base of the heel is so small, it feels like im on high heels or something. i would prefer something with a wider base at the heel, but that of course comes second to comfort at the foot bed.

i've tried the specialized sworks trail wide and i wasn't a big fan. it was $350 too

i guess i'll try the fiveten impacts and see.
    2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle