Anyone still use v-brake shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Anyone still use v-brake shoes?

Well i just upgraded my v-brakes to take shoes or cartridge style brake pads and to be honest i'm missing the old rubber-with-screw sticking out of it. I put on a set of Clarks v-brake shoes which pretty much claim to be XTR copies. What i'm not happy about is with the cheapo pins used to hold the pads. Firstly they rub against my rubber even though they're all the way in and if i lower the shoe position i won't get full rim contact. Secondly on my last ride a pin must have just popped out itself as i found my rear left brake pad on the parking lot tarmac after unloading my bike.

Are all v-brake shoes created equal? I see most designs have some sort of pin to hold the pad in. Anyone still use v-brakes enough to fill in my question?

mtbr member
    I haven't had any problem with either avid or koolstop pad inserts & pins coming out, but these are on avid shoes. I don't recall ever seeing ones with screws. Do your new pins stick out a lot more than the originals? Why not re-use the originals? Lower the pads & change angle so they're hitting square on rim again?
    I do try to make sure the cotter pins are inserted firmly, and have put a small kink in 'em before, since it seemed a bit loose upon insertion.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchy
    Secondly on my last ride a pin must have just popped out itself as i found my rear left brake pad on the parking lot tarmac after unloading my bike.
    You need to be sure that the closed end of the pad holder faces forward. That way the rotation of the wheel can't push the pad out even if the cotters fail..

I'm not sure what brand of holders I use, but I use Kool-Stop Salmon pads. They have cotters, and I always worry that they're going to cut the tire sidewall, although they never do.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    You need to be sure that the closed end of the pad holder faces forward. That way the rotation of the wheel can't push the pad out even if the cotters fail..
    Right. I have a bike that had some cartridge pads, but I didn't like them on the front because you had to orient them so the long part of the pad pointed back, and it interfered with the fork legs, so the brakes would not open wide enough for a really fat tire. So I replaced them with some non-cartridge pads (rubber with the post sticking out of it), so I could point the short end towards the fork leg. No more clearance problems, and the brakes open nice and wide.

I never did have a clearance problem with the little metal pin however. It should push in so that it is down on top of the rubber, not sticking up at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Logbiter: I've upgraded my stock rubber-with-stick pads to Clarks v-brake cartridge shoes and i'm just using the pads and pins that it came with. As with inserting the pins, i use a pair of pliers to get them in and it's as far down as it'll go unless i bend them. The other pins on by bike are all pretty firmly inseted but there is still very little rubber clearence and every so often one will brush the rubber. I'll try getting a set of koolstop or avids and see how they go.

wv_bob: Yeah my holders face forward, made sure of that one. Pad probably fell out when i took my bike off the rack and hit the rear brake while the tyre was spinning backwards. I just taped the end up and went on my ride anyway so no dramas there.

Members who have read this thread: 0