Anyone riding HID on the bars AND helmet?- Mtbr.com
    Rider Found Dead

Anyone riding HID on the bars AND helmet?

I love my L&M HID on the bars, and I ride with a Niterider Headtrip on my helmet. The problem is that the Headtrip (15w halogen) has a very small spot beam (by comparison to the L&M HID) and the color is quite yellow compared to the HID. I find the different colors to be distracting, and I don't like the little yellow spot bouncing around.

I do, however, like using a helmet mount, because of the POV light source and all the other reasons that people like riding with helmet mounts. It's a pretty big investment to ride with two HIDs, but I do a lot of niteriding, so it's something I would consider. Just wondering if anyone else is doing it and what your experiences are. Thanks.

Mar 2004

dual HID's

I ride with two HID's. I like that they both last around 4 hours (niteriders). In the longer 24 hr events (one is 17 miles per lap) I didn't trust that the older style lights would last through the whole lap. I can turn one off for the flats or climbs and use both for downhills. In some of my 24 hr races, people will come up behind me and I ask if they want to go around me. They sometimes tell me they will stay there behind me to use my lights because they are so bright. I know it's an investment but I think it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philber
    I love my L&M HID on the bars, and I ride with a Niterider Headtrip on my helmet. The problem is that the Headtrip (15w halogen) has a very small spot beam (by comparison to the L&M HID) and the color is quite yellow compared to the HID. I find the different colors to be distracting, and I don't like the little yellow spot bouncing around.

I do, however, like using a helmet mount, because of the POV light source and all the other reasons that people like riding with helmet mounts. It's a pretty big investment to ride with two HIDs, but I do a lot of niteriding, so it's something I would consider. Just wondering if anyone else is doing it and what your experiences are. Thanks.

jrm
    mtbr member

No..

The L&M HID on the bars works real well for me by itself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like the added challenge of nitefiding. I'd imagine that two HID's would be like riding at noon. Now if you are racing (as the first guy to reply) this seems like it would be a great investment. For me, I like to dial in my 1 or 2 halogen lights and Zen into my ride.... Two halogens would take away some of the fun for me.

(Translation: I can't afford that )

gray hair in my shammy

I use 2 L&M HIDs for 24 hr. racing and night-riding

I only do a few night rides a year, but I also do a 24 hour race every year. My vision at night sucks,(stigmatism) so having a helmet and bar light really light up the trail. Paid full price for the helmet HID, but got a sweet deal on the bar mount on a google cycling group.
    Both lights were alot of $$, even with getting the 2nd one used, but it was well worth it for me. If you do alot of night riding, then go for it, but check the classifieds here, ebay and google.
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"

Trail rider and racer
    I think 2 HIDS would be overkill, but sometimes it can be advantageous to have as much light as possible, particularly when riding through unfamiliar terrain or racing.

One other thing, have you considered moving the Bar light to your helmet (You may need to buy a special mount). I find having a solid light positioned on the helmet provides the best coverage, and then your smaller light on the bars can still be beneficial.

Trevor!
    Trev!

Jun 2004
    I like to keep my discharge elseware.....like in a sock.

Throbbing Member
    I do a lot of night riding as well as adventure races which include riding at night on unfamiliar trails. I use only one HID, and it's on my bars. I found that the heavy light on my helmet was a major distraction as well as I hated the lack of detail from the POV of the helmet light. I switched over to a bar mount from my HID and now use a much lighter 10W halogen (spot beam) helmet light with a light weight lithium-ion battery into my hydroback. The helmet light is very useful for turns/switchbacks/technical terrian, however having shadows cast from a lower mounted light is much more benificial most of the time. Additionally, getting the weight of the HID battery out of the hydropack and onto the frame was nice too.
    Phil Hernandez RIP