Anyone ride in XC/AM clip in shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone ride in XC/AM clip in shoes?

I bought a used bike last week with Shimano DX pedals. That's fine as I like clipless and they're really nice pedals. The problem is my other bikes have Crank Brothers pedals. I have an older pair of Specialized shoes I can put the SPD cleats on, but reading other threads here, it seems like most guys ride a more downhill specific SPD type shoe. Am I risking a twisted ankle riding the Spec shoes?

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    I ride and race dh in 661 attack shoes. There xc shoes for sure. I have never had a ankle twisting problem while wearing them and I have tossed pretty hard in those shoes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    All my shoes have always been xc shoes and naturally some were better than others. My shimano shoes I wear now are the shiz, although I have two pairs and I use them differently. One pair has a flexible sole and upper and its great to push up the track and build and then ride and my other pair is the stiffest I've ever used. Its brilliant for a day spent shuttling or at races. Power transfer is brilliant and give a much more direct feel but if you try walk up the track again, expect blisters.

Capricious youth...
    I did. Wasn't bad. But I prefer my 661 Filter SPD shoes.
    Meh.

thisportistoodamnexpensiv
    Oct 2008
    I've been riding on pure XC spd's and shoes since I started riding DH, which was about six months ago. Performance is awesome but they suck when you have to hike, my Adidas are slick like road shoes now. No risk of twisting an ankle 'cause your foot will pop out of them long before it's a problem. They're super easy to get out of but it sucks clipping back in when on really steep/rocky terrain.

I'm making the switch to platforms today though, as long as the five tens I ordered show up on my door step. I'm sure I'll miss the clips but getting back into them on hairy terrain is just becoming too big a pain in the ass... not to mention the hiking issues and not being able to bail in mid air.
    REAL MEN LOVE JESUS!!! (...but only when the wife's out of town)

mtbr member
    Cool, I'll just try out my old shoes then. I prefer to not buy new shoes if I don't need to.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    spend decades in sidi dh shoes (think the stiffest, most xc shoe ever with a high top build) on dx's and it went just fine, thanx. youll be ok if thats yer bag.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I love my shimano XC shoes in terms of feel and they are lighter which helps me get my feet moving faster. The one thing that sucks is kicking a rock ot root with them on. I have the 661 filter's but since I have really narrow feet, It's almost impossible to keep them tight enough.

I tend to only wear 'em when I'm not racing, just kinda messing around.

Members who have read this thread: 0