Anyone ride in BDUs?

Printable View

• 10-17-2014
    Montanadan
    Anyone ride in BDUs?
    Hello, I've been searching for some suitable riding pants now that the weather is turning. I'd like to continue riding in winter, snowfall permitting, and commuting on my bike to keep my fitness regime in power. So far my search has been fruitless...perhaps I'm looking in the wrong area. Being cold-weather specific is not a criteria; if temps dip into single digits I'll probably bag riding, and I'd prefer something that is acceptable/comfortable for cool fall and spring riding as well. I'd like a cargo-style or BDU type pant. Perhaps BDUs are the way to go? All I can find is stuff that looks like raingear or else it's plaid or houndstooth or some other, er, weird bit of fabric. Something that is mountain-biking related would be nice, perhaps with options to insert padding in key locations? Just throwing it out there to see if it'll stick. Thanks.
  • 10-17-2014
    challybert
    Yes, I've worn BDU's with a pair of padded liners. A pair of the old Popper desert camo bdu's. Actually work just fine EXCEPT you need to make sure the inseam doesn't hang too low below your junk (believe it's call the "rise). The rise can get caught up on the front of your seat when shifting back and/or the back of the seat if/when you're riding over the back wheel with butt behind the seat.
  • 10-17-2014
    Montanadan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by challybert View Post
    Yes, I've worn BDU's with a pair of padded liners. A pair of the old Popper desert camo bdu's. Actually work just fine EXCEPT you need to make sure the inseam doesn't hang too low below your junk (believe it's call the "rise). The rise can get caught up on the front of your seat when shifting back and/or the back of the seat if/when you're riding over the back wheel with butt behind the seat.

Thanks challybert. Ya, the problem you mention is one of my concerns of riding in pants to begin with. Luckily my genetics have adapted me well to cycling, as my junk never gets in the way of much if you get my meaning lol. Too much info?
    Thanks for pointing that out though. I have problems fitting pants anyway...big waist and short legs means the "rise" as you call it always hangs low for me, a problem that would be much worse on a bike.
  • 10-18-2014
    Legbacon
    How about Endura Zyme 3/4's? The cover my knees and when it gets colder I'll wear leg warmers. Tough nylon fabric will outlive BDU's and they are on pretty cheap here.

BlueSkyCycling.com - Endura Zyme 3/4 Shorts

I have a pair of BDU pants but for mtb the Zyme's are much better.
  • 10-18-2014
    Saul Lumikko
    Last winter I used M65 trousers because the NyCo fabric is windproof and slightly repels water and dirt, yet breathes worlds better compared to anything with a membrane. They are not really the choice of gear for hasty trips due to the bagginess, but I'm sure you already knew that.

I use the appropriate M1950 suspenders with them to keep the rise from getting caught on the saddle. That particular suspender has hooks at the sides (the trousers have string loops for the hooks), which means you can bend forward without tugging up the rear of the trousers as regular suspenders do. Suspenders are also nice because you don't need a belt tightened to your waist, which would restrict movement. And when you take a dump you simply unhook the suspenders to lower the trousers - nothing hanging behind you that might get soiled.
  • 10-18-2014
    RWhiz
    They were all I used during my first foray into mountain biking, they work great, I've used long pants for cool weather, and cut offs for summer.
  • 10-19-2014
    not2shabby
    How about nylon ski pants for when it's really cold/wet/snowing?
  • 10-21-2014
    MindlessDeviant
    I use my old ACU's to ride in got a couple of pairs cut into shorts for warm weather and a few pants for the cold weather. Only thing I like to ride in hold up really well to falls and skidding on rocks.
  • 10-22-2014
    Montanadan
    Thanks guys....I think I'm gonna try some. Not to sound too shallow, but from a style standpoint they fit me well, and seem they would work better and be more versatile than jeans. I'm not racing, so I wouldn't feel comfortable in full race-style pants. Nothing against anyone who wears them; its just not my style.
  • 11-04-2014
    Baggersteve
    I wear 5.11 Tactical pants in colder weather. They have enough give and are indestructible. A little on the spendy side, but probably no more so than those skin tight riding pants. They run a little small, so it's best to try them on instead of buying online...and the come in one inseam, so they have to be hemmed.