• 11-18-2009
    sponger
    anyone paint their helmets?
    Probably a stupid idea, but I wouldn't mind customizing my helmet a bit.
  • 11-18-2009
    Dremer03
    yahoo answers to the rescue.

Quote:

Like any other painting task, surface preparation is the most important step in achieving a good final finish.

First thing is to determine what the shell of the helmet is made of... Fiberglass, ABS plastic, etc. Choose a paint formula that's made to be used on that kind of surface.

Next, remove as much of the liner and edge trim as you can, to make it easier to apply the paint without overspray problems.

Once you've decided on your paint and design, get some fine sand paper (220 to 400 grit) and sand the helmet until the surface is as smooth as you can make it. A coat of primer would come next, to give the final paint something to hold on to. Sand that smooth also.

Then use a good quality masking tape to lay out your design and start spraying! Don't forget several coats of clear over the top of your final design, and whatever you do... Once it's finished, DON'T DROP IT!!!
    For a motorcycle but the painting is the same so break out your rattle can, and your masking tape and go to town.
  • 11-19-2009
    b-kul
    i feel like painting a helmet would be tricky with all the vents and stuff. doable but probably a pain.
  • 11-19-2009
    bad news
    Most people customize them with mud branches leaves and the occasional crack or dent. What is this a fashion show?
  • 11-19-2009
    joshik123
    i was thinking about painting my helmet too. its more of a personalization thing im guessing. hey, everyone else adds color/personalizations to their bike... color anodized bashguards, skewers, stems, EVERYTHING... why not helmets :)

i was gonna use the blue masking tape and tape off the vent holes and spray away!
  • 11-19-2009
    b-kul
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bad news
    Most people customize them with mud branches leaves and the occasional crack or dent. What is this a fashion show?

crack or dent? i sure wouldnt wear a helmet with one of those...
  • 11-19-2009
    clutch_08
    no it would just add weight
  • 11-19-2009
    bad news
    Quote:

Originally Posted by b-kul
    crack or dent? i sure wouldnt wear a helmet with one of those...

Usually after you add that custom touch the status of your helmet is a secondary concern, at least for the moment.
  • 11-20-2009
    jeffj
    Ordinary spray paint may harm the styrofoam, as in eats it away. Seems like it would be difficult to do a good job without any spray paint coming in contact with the styrofoam.
  • 11-20-2009
    Dremer03
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffj
    Ordinary spray paint may harm the styrofoam, as in eats it away. Seems like it would be difficult to do a good job with any spray paint coming in contact with the styrofoam.

you learn something new every day :thumbsup:

Perhaps your best bet would to either not paint or mask the heck out of of so no paint comes in contact with the foam.
  • 11-20-2009
    fast_monte`
    If you are goint to paint your helmet use a water based paint. Craft paints work well and are cheap. They are more durable than you would expect. Keep in mind that helmets do not last forever, one big hit and they need to be replaced.
  • 11-20-2009
    AZ
    1 Attachment(s)
    ...............................................:d
  • 11-22-2009
    cr45h
    you know how i can tell this is the beginners forum?
  • 11-22-2009
    net wurker
    1 Attachment(s)
    Painting a helmet can really bring it to life, cosmetically. Check out this example...